Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #76
nilk
macrumors 6502

Edit: I guess it's not a big deal that it's Mac-only in this case, since it's kinda a specialized tool, not really a primary communication platform (IIRC).

Me and my wife use nothing but Macs (and both have iPhones), but the fact that this is Mac-only greatly diminishes it's value. Hopefully that is temporary. For a communication/sharing tool, I'd like to be able to communicate with the widest number of people.

Messages and Facetime, for example, work well, but it's a shame they are Apple-only because I'd love to communicate with non-Apple users with these products. Apple even said they were going to make Facetime an open protocol but then never followed through with that.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:13 PM   #77
cebritt
macrumors member

Multi-user video chat

If you just want to do multi-user video chat, try oovoo.com. It runs on Mac and Windows and it's free.
cebritt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:15 PM   #78
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
sounds cool

well till its bug free and ready to roll then i can let my mac run it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:49 PM   #79
2IS
macrumors 68020

So essentially a video sharing and chat service no one will use. Brilliant!
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:49 PM   #80
rMBP13
Banned

This app seems promising! The future of movies watching
rMBP13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:07 PM   #81
fel10
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
Well I am not a teenager so I will give this one a miss
My thoughts exactly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
This is the kind of crap that makes me go over to 9to5mac. I get that you have to pay your bills, but given that you own TouchArcade and AppShopper I'm pretty sure you dont need to stoop to creating such poor quality adverts and shoving them on the front page.
To be fair, 9to5mac also made a post about this.
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #82
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastepe View Post
How much money did you (MacRumors) get to promote this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Hi MR,

Thanks for posting this ad as an article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDee View Post
Seconded. This made my stomach churn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb503 View Post
This is totally unworthy of a post. A closed beta for a product of questionable worth? You should have to notify us when you're just posting something because they paid you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
This is the kind of crap that makes me go over to 9to5mac. I get that you have to pay your bills, but given that you own TouchArcade and AppShopper I'm pretty sure you dont need to stoop to creating such poor quality adverts and shoving them on the front page.
It's really very simple: We don't do sponsored posts.

Once in a while we participate in a bundle promotion in which we disclose that we receive a cut of the proceeds. We also use affiliate links at times. But that's the extent of it...if we're writing about an app or other product, it's because we think it's interesting and worth sharing.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:36 PM   #83
Spetsnazos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
No, it isn't redundant at all. When I went to college, that meant that all of my high school friends became long distance friends for the most part. We always watched some shows together beforehand, and we still do; the only difference is we have to use skype group calls. Do you realize how annoying and unintuitive it is to all load up the show/movie on hulu/netflix, wait for it to load, then countdown the play button and hope we're all synced up? It's too much hassle.

Honestly, this is the service I have always dreamed of having. The only downside is you have to have the camera on, which is a bit dumb, as we usually just voice chat; but that won't be a problem a simple ripped sticky note cant solve

Needless to say, I'm excited for this app!

----------

It opened just fine for me without any issues on my ML MBP 2011.
only in Indiana...
Spetsnazos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:51 PM   #84
atsang
macrumors member

At work we have more than 10 people that video conference in from many locations for sprint planning and other misc *must attend* type meetings.

Skype has a 10 person limit. Webex is 7. Google+ is 10. We use Oovoo, but that's only 12.

This being unlimited is a good thing. I kind of doubt how high the video quality and qulaity of the connection will be (especially to India).

However, the fact this is mac only, and not multiplatform INCLUDING android and iOS is a huge fail.

Last edited by atsang; Feb 7, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
atsang is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:17 PM   #85
mrxak
macrumors 65816

You know I'm all for Mac-exclusive stuff, but doing that with a chat client seems kind of like a poor way of getting the kind of saturation you need to be successful.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:14 PM   #86
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
To be fair, 9to5mac also made a post about this.
Yup they did. However they also have a hell of a lot more daily posts, so a couple of 'low interest one's can be excused.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:23 PM   #87
Fatalbert
Banned

I never liked the circles in Lion, but at least this keeps it consistent.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Redundant in my eyes.

You already have a lot of more mature services like Facetime, Skype etc. on OS X.
Yeah really, why are they making a startup that does this? It's like how there are so many startups that provide website statistics to companies.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:22 PM   #88
Fatalbert
Banned

So... It's basically iChat that doesn't work with anything but a Mac running Lion or later. Not only is it exclusive to Macs (no iOS version), but it excludes many Mac users because it "requires OS X 10.7 or higher". I can't use 10.7, so forget that.

Who funded this thing?
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:25 PM   #89
mariusaz
macrumors member

Let's Rabbit huh? That's exactly what the primary use of this will be.
mariusaz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:39 AM   #90
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

I think this has great potential with the 'under25' crowd, especially if and when a windows version is released, but the sharing of copyrighted material may not go over so well. Wonder how many security vulnerabilities are sure to lurk within?
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:19 AM   #91
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I thought there was already something like this called FaceTime...
Oh? Your FaceTime allows multiple people to join in? Wowza.

Still not liking the UI and if aimed at teens I'm say no thanks; I'm too old.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:59 AM   #92
Bezetos
macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong but Google Hangout's does video sharing/watching already?
Bezetos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:54 PM   #93
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

I'm amazed by the swarm of negative comments and closed-minded arguments against this app. This is a fresh take on video chatting and is actually quite cool. I'm very impressed. And what people need to remember is that the R&D that went into developing this app/service will contribute to future services. Be thankful that the envelope continues to be pushed, don't complain.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
So... It's basically iChat that doesn't work with anything but a Mac running Lion or later. Not only is it exclusive to Macs (no iOS version), but it excludes many Mac users because it "requires OS X 10.7 or higher". I can't use 10.7, so forget that.

Who funded this thing?
It's a start.... first version... and it probably requires technology that is only available in 10.7 and later. If you want to use it, upgrade. Simple.
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:56 PM   #94
edfore
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to edfore
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
I'm amazed by the swarm of negative comments and closed-minded arguments against this app. This is a fresh take on video chatting and is actually quite cool. I'm very impressed. And what people need to remember is that the R&D that went into developing this app/service will contribute to future services. Be thankful that the envelope continues to be pushed, don't complain.

----------

It's a start.... first version... and it probably requires technology that is only available in 10.7 and later. If you want to use it, upgrade. Simple.
Well said.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:02 PM   #95
smashing
macrumors newbie

One to watch

I too am surprised at some of the negativity. The marketing is a little cheesy perhaps, but I've seen the app in operation and for a beta it's very cool. I recommend trying it.
smashing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:27 PM   #96
hitman0304
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post
I too am surprised at some of the negativity. The marketing is a little cheesy perhaps, but I've seen the app in operation and for a beta it's very cool. I recommend trying it.
I'd like to try this with my girlfriend. Could i snag an invite? Or does anyone here have one?
hitman0304 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:42 PM   #97
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
But I can't upgrade. No kind of video chat technology NEEDS 10.7 or later. I used iChat in Panther back in the day and did video conferences on it. A startup actually has to bring something new to the table besides ridiculous system requirements.
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:00 PM   #98
highdough
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDee View Post
Seconded. This made my stomach churn.
Ugh, I HATE websites trying to make money. Who do they think they are?
highdough is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:32 PM   #99
j-a-x
macrumors 65816

Does anybody have an invite to spare? I'd love to try it.
j-a-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:09 PM   #100
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
So...a phone?
ROFLMAO! He really set himself up for this. Good grab and excellent reply.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion