Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
anarchopath
macrumors member

YouTube HD Extension for Safari?

I guess this is a two part question:

1. There's a 'youtube hd' extension for firefox and chrome, is there one or an equivalent for safari? (it makes youtube videos play in HD by default)
2. I wouldn't even start this thread if I could figure out how to search the safari extensions website. How do you search for safari extensions?

I'm brand new to Mac. Thanks for any help!
anarchopath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Volkan1984
macrumors member

Youtube extensions for Safari

Hi,

1. There is no direct Youtube HD extension for Safari, but there is this one that seems a bit more extensive: YouTube Options for Apple Safari (found at https://extensions.apple.com/ under Entertainment, then CMD+F and copy-paste (CMD+C, then CMD+V) the name of the extension).
2. You cannot search the Safari extension page as there is no search function for it. You have the Search-box in the upper right corner but that searches only the rest of the Apple website.

Hope to have helped you.
Volkan1984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Always annoys me that it doesn't default to HD
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchopath View Post
I guess this is a two part question:

1. There's a 'youtube hd' extension for firefox and chrome, is there one or an equivalent for safari? (it makes youtube videos play in HD by default)
2. I wouldn't even start this thread if I could figure out how to search the safari extensions website. How do you search for safari extensions?

I'm brand new to Mac. Thanks for any help!
You can use the Youtube5 extension and in the settings tell it to always show 720p.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5
anarchopath
macrumors member

Wow... I really didn't want to have to use Chrome

Not being able to search for extensions is such an obvious oversight that they had to have made a calculated decision to not allow it. Apple must have blocked the youtube hd extension too because it's on the other 2 major browsers.

Thanks guys
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Volkan1984
macrumors member

I don't really see why you *have* to use Chrome. We gave multiple solutions to your issue which work perfectly fine and even give you more options, like blocking ads and such?
Volkan1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchopath View Post
Wow... I really didn't want to have to use Chrome

Not being able to search for extensions is such an obvious oversight that they had to have made a calculated decision to not allow it. Apple must have blocked the youtube hd extension too because it's on the other 2 major browsers.

Thanks guys
The Youtube5 extension I linked works in Safari.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
anarchopath
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkan1984 View Post
I don't really see why you *have* to use Chrome. We gave multiple solutions to your issue which work perfectly fine and even give you more options, like blocking ads and such?
The mac is brand new and I want it to be super thin. I'm thinking about doing Lion Restore to get it as lightweight as possible (nothing but the system and browser). So I'd like to avoid extensions that have "more options".

Alas, I prefer a bloated extension over an entire extra browser, so I went with YouTube Options. YouTube5 seemed even more complicated and bloaty, though I'm sure it's great for some people.

Again, thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Volkan1984
macrumors member

TS, great to have been of help to you! I actually installed Youtube Options myself, hadn't thought of always wanting to play YT in HD but your request sounded quite logical

So TY too!
Volkan1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store