Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Bk800
macrumors newbie

HDMI for ATV

I need some suggestions I recently got an ATV for my main TV, but became disappointed with the lack of content, I replaced the ATV with the Roku and moved the ATV to my iMac, only to discover that the regular HDMI cable will not fit the iMac, my question what kind of HDIM cable will fit the ATV and the iMac?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by Bk800; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Bk800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk800 View Post
I need some suggestions I recently got an ATV for my main TV, but became disappointed with the lack of content, I replaced the ATV with the Roku and moved the ATV to my iMac, only to discover that the regular HDMI cable will not fit the iMac, my question what kind of HDIM cable will fit the ATV and the iMac?
Thanks for your help
As far as I am aware no iMacs have ever had HDMI ports. They have Mini displayports on the 2009 and 2010 and Thunderbolt ports on the 2011 and 2012....

Sorry, I don't think you can do what you want to do unless you can find some converter (and most likely will be very expensive).
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
CaptTCS
macrumors newbie

Why would you want to use the ATV on the iMac, anyway? Don't you have iTunes?
CaptTCS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:14 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks for your help
Yeah, not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish. The aTV does not feed the iMac. The iMac (iTunes) feeds the aTV.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Bk800
macrumors newbie

HDMI cable foe ATV

Hi all, thanks for all the information, I just had a quick conversation with an Apple representative and they confirmed that the ATV can't be used on my iMac, it's use is only for a TV, so now I need to decide on keeping it or selling it, the thought did hit me on hooking it up on another TV, but I am so impressed with the Roku, that I was thinking about getting one for the other TV as well O well, again thanks for the information
Bk800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Hi all, thanks for all the information, I just had a quick conversation with an Apple representative and they confirmed that the ATV can't be used on my iMac, it's use is only for a TV, so now I need to decide on keeping it or selling it, the thought did hit me on hooking it up on another TV, but I am so impressed with the Roku, that I was thinking about getting one for the other TV as well O well, again thanks for the information
if u have a 2011+ 27" i heard you can connect to any device via Mini Displayport>hdmi adapter
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
jtara
macrumors 65816

He's trying to go the other way, I gather. He wants to display ATV output on the iMac.

You can do that. You don't need a cable. Update to the latest firmware, and if you have Mountain Lion, you can Airplay from the ATV to your iMac.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater