Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mailbox, the highly anticipated email management app from Orchestra, launched today. The app is designed to work with Gmail + iPhone and uses a simple design that incorporates intuitive touch gestures.

mailbox.jpg

A quick swipe to the right removes emails from the inbox and archives them, while a longer slide deletes them. A swipe to the left activates a "Snooze" function, which puts emails out of sight and out of mind until later, and drag gestures make reorganization of the inbox a simple task.
Mailbox is a mobile-first email experience that challenges the archaic assumptions about how email should work and reimagines the inbox for a world on the go. It's a new way of looking at your email, but when you use Mailbox for the first time, we believe you'll say "of course."
Because the Mailbox app received an overwhelming amount of interest after it was announced in December, a reservation system was implemented to handle demand and to prevent server overload.

Reservations are currently being filled on a first-come first served basis. Users that have not already signed up to use Mailbox can download the app to reserve a spot in line. Users who did reserve a spot can enter reservation information into the app, and all users can see their place in line in real time. At this time, there are no estimates on how long the wait to use the app might be.

Mailbox is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Intuitive Email Management App 'Mailbox' Now Available in App Store

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
This is awesome! Makes me realize how many improvements could be made throughout iOS. . Can't wait for 7!

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
If this app's GUI is an omen to what's to come in iOS... Wow! Yes, please! The dialogue boxes are gorgeous!

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What's all this about server overload? Whose server? Why?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
is this supposed to be some viral marketing crap? signing up to download a free app? lol ... they must swim in "demand" for an email app :rolleyes:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I reserved mine weeks ago and it said there were 20,000 people ahead of me. Today I put in my reservation info and it says 250,000 ahead of me. Um... Ok?

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Hype-ware.

I second this, either make it a pay app or just let people download and run it. This kind of marketing scheme is retarded. I deleted the app already, will check again in um...few weeks (if I actually care enough to check again) to see if I can just download it and start running it all other normal apps. Thank, but no thanks.

Just signed up. 269,477 in line ahead of me! This is so exciting! I feel like I'm waiting in line at Disney World, wishing I had gotten a fast pass! ;)

Prediction: within the next 24 hours I will have more people behind me in line than in front of me

Edit: As of 2:20pm I now have 269,414 in front and 31,610 behind. Only gone down 33 people in last 1 hr 20 minutes... *sigh*

Edit: goal accomplished in 20 hours!!

Edit 2: Exactly 1 week later!! I am now (stuck) at 120,419. They are having server issues so they have stopped the line. I have moved 149,058 spots!! An avg rate of 14.7875 per minute!!!

Edit 3: 2 weeks later! I am now number 10,115!! So close! The line is moving at an approximate rate of 13.4 per minute (it slowed down after the server errors last week :( ) so at this rate my reservation will be filled tonight at around 1:35am! Sorry mailbox... I'm not staying up for that. But I'll see you in the morning!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.