Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

future22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Hello all,

I have been researching for awhile trying to find the best way to do what I want to do this...

I want to upgrade to a 128gb SSD to where the stock HDD is in my early 2011 15" MBP, move the stock HDD to where the SuperDrive is, install clean install of ML on SSD, and then migrate admin account info and apps to the SSD. I then want the HDD to be used for files I dont frequently use such as Pictures, Music, Movies, etc.

From what I gathered the steps would be:

1. Use Time Machine to backup current HDD (minus my downloads folder)
  2. Install SSD
  3. Use ML Install USB Key to use Disk Utility to format SSD
  4. Install ML on SSD
  5. Use Migration Assistant to transfer applications, home folder (minus the downloads folder) to the SSD
  6. Move HDD to the SuperDrive (with the Optibay type enclosure for that area)

Here is where I have some questions:
  1. After I do the migration assistant transfer, will ML then load up and ask me to create a user admin account or will that transfer over with the migration assistant Home folder portion?
  2. Once into ML, I want to be able to keep some folders on the SSD such as Library and caches, so I would create symlinks to the stock HDD (now in the SuperDrive bay)? (I understand I can prob. just change the home folder directory to point to my previous home folder directory on the stock HDD, but wouldnt that point everything, including library and caches to the HDD?)
  3. This would allow me to download and store things like music/pictures/movies to the HDD while running everything else through the SSD?

Does that sound about right so far?

Thank you for your help.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Some useful info in my Guide in my Sig "SSD Tweaking". Will answer some of your questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.