Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Designed in California Made in the USA

As the title says. I wonder how much of a more premium on Apple products such as Iphones, we would end up paying, if Apple shifted the whole production and assembly to the USA.

I mean i have noticed a lot of haters of foxconn and having production made in China etc. However for all those people who are hating the production facility in China, would you actually want to end up paying more, for what the Iphone already costs.

Yes we need to help our economy and bring jobs back to the USA etc. However would you still want to end up paying more of a premium on Apple products?
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2
BanterClaus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
It depends how much more.

As a non-american (British), I wouldn't be willing to pay a huge amount more just to see production return to the US. Obviously our economies are closely linked though so paying SLIGHTLY more to know something was produced in the West may be acceptable.
__________________
iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5S 16GB iPod Touch 4 32GB
13" 2011 MacBook Pro | i5 | 8GB | 120GB Vertex 3 SSD & 320GB HDD
Gaming PC | Quad i5 3.3GHz | 8GB | 1TB | AMD 6970 2GB
BanterClaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:24 PM   #3
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanterClaus View Post
It depends how much more.

As a non-american (British), I wouldn't be willing to pay a huge amount more just to see production return to the US. Obviously our economies are closely linked though so paying SLIGHTLY more to know something was produced in the West may be acceptable.
I agree with you. Maybe we will one day face a situation where the home markets of each country would end up producing a phone that suits them best. For example rumor is that the new blackberry is not going to do well in blackberrys keymarkets outside the USA and Europe, in India and Indonesia, as the cost is too high. So therefore blackberry may make a cheaper version for them markets.
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The whole thread is moot.

If u been paying attention, Apple will probably do some assembly (only) to the iMac line. And then if (big if) the jobs comes back to the U.S., the trend is, robots will do them, not people.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:51 PM   #5
err404
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
The whole thread is moot.

If u been paying attention, Apple will probably do some assembly (only) to the iMac line. And then if (big if) the jobs comes back to the U.S., the trend is, robots will do them, not people.
There would still be a massive amount of skilled labor required to support the robots and design/update/maintain the lines.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:55 PM   #6
wxman2003
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Low paying assembly line jobs are not good for US. That's why they were shipped to China. The fact that companies are thinking of bringing those types of jobs back just shows how bad the economy is. It's just another race to the bottom and how much real wages have fallen in the US. Instead we should be focusing on getting more students interested in math, science and engineering which will keep the high tech jobs in US. Otherwise, those jobs will be shipped off to China, and we will become their cheap uneducated labor force.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 6 Plus.

Last edited by wxman2003; Feb 7, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
wxman2003 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:57 PM   #7
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
There would still be a massive amount of skilled labor required to support the robots and design/update/maintain the lines.
http://youtu.be/TtSejMmsj-0
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:05 PM   #8
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
There would still be a massive amount of skilled labor required to support the robots and design/update/maintain the lines.
Maybe it will end up like irobots for real lol
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
adcx64
macrumors 65816
 
adcx64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cudi Zone
I come from an union family, my dad being president of a large one, and I'd certainly pay an extra amount to have my phone made here.
__________________
iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, Verizon LTE
Xbox One
Competitive Call of Duty
adcx64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:10 PM   #10
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Low paying assembly line jobs are not good for US. That's why they were shipped to China. The fact that companies are thinking of bringing those types of jobs back just shows how bad the economy is. It's just another race to the bottom and how much real wages have fallen in the US. Instead we should be focusing on getting more students interested in the math, science and engineering which will keep the high tech jobs in US. Otherwise, those jobs will be shipped off to China, and we will become their cheap uneducated labor force.
Agree with this.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:11 PM   #11
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I hope not. Americans are lazy and often call in sick. Asians are more skilled and work faster. I am already waiting like 2 months at launch with these skilled workers. If the yields are even lower and the prices are higher that would be awful
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
I hope not. Americans are lazy and often call in sick. Asians are more skilled and work faster. I am already waiting like 2 months at launch with these skilled workers. If the yields are even lower and the prices are higher that would be awful
I don't think you can generalise all Americans like that. That's like me saying all British people have yellow teeth. You get lazy people in every country.
abz1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
sviato
macrumors 68020
 
sviato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HR 9038 A
I wouldn't pay any premium. Most of the Chinese workers actually want to work in the factories, it's not slave labor over there even if the conditions aren't top notch sometimes. Why waste money on Americans when someone else will do the same work for less?

I'm sure Apple's shareholders would also be pissed from the cost increase of manufacturing in the US.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:16 PM   #14
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I also think that to what we think is low pay in for example china may be a decent pay in china. You can't expect every country to have the same level of pay for employees.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #15
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I believe some time last year President Obama ask Tim Cook this same question and Cook said it really would not drive the cost up, but there was some other reason they did not do it. I will try to look the article up.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:57 PM   #16
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
As the title says. I wonder how much of a more premium on Apple products such as Iphones, we would end up paying, if Apple shifted the whole production and assembly to the USA.

I mean i have noticed a lot of haters of foxconn and having production made in China etc. However for all those people who are hating the production facility in China, would you actually want to end up paying more, for what the Iphone already costs.

Yes we need to help our economy and bring jobs back to the USA etc. However would you still want to end up paying more of a premium on Apple products?
Profit Margins for Apple will go down considerably if production returns to the US. In the end, Apple was made by Steve with profit in mind, remember that.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
CEmajr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
I would pay a little more for an iPhone made in America.

Truth of the matter is that all those factory jobs will likely never return to the USA. We've been passing "free" trade laws since the 70s and effectively shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. Domestic wages dropped and corporate profits soared. This is the way it will be for a long time.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
It's all politics folks. Low level assembly jobs are not coming back. Don't go OCD about ur cost.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:25 PM   #19
wxman2003
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Apple is not going to pay someone in the US $20 an hour to build an iPhone. And since 90% of the rare earth elements that are needed to build the critical parts of the phone (battery, LCD, etc) are mined in China, it makes no sense to ship assembly jobs back to the US.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 6 Plus.
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:44 PM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
I would pay a little more for an iPhone made in America.

Truth of the matter is that all those factory jobs will likely never return to the USA. We've been passing "free" trade laws since the 70s and effectively shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. Domestic wages dropped and corporate profits soared. This is the way it will be for a long time.
Agreed. I would be willing to pay a little more, but don't think that these jobs are coming back.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:00 PM   #21
macMD
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
I simply don't buy their excuses it would cost way too much to build their products in the US, what I can believe is they would not have the scales of economy to get their forced cheap labor to build the demanded products in such a quick window of time.

That said, Apple has the cash to do what they need and then some, time to put up or shut up, oh wait that's right their $137+ Billion sits off shore and if they try to bring it home its taxed too high. Oh well.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:56 PM   #22
bushman4
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Made in the USA........I'd feel better purchasing anything made in the USA as opposed to another country. Let's create jobs in America !
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:12 PM   #23
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
How crazy would the leaks be if the iPhone was made in USA?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 , 2.2 GHz Quad i7, 750GB SDD, 8GB RAM
iPhone 6 Plus 64gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:21 PM   #24
eelw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
What mass produced products are manufactured in 1st world nations?
eelw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Myiphone7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
As the title says. I wonder how much of a more premium on Apple products such as Iphones, we would end up paying, if Apple shifted the whole production and assembly to the USA.

I mean i have noticed a lot of haters of foxconn and having production made in China etc. However for all those people who are hating the production facility in China, would you actually want to end up paying more, for what the Iphone already costs.

Yes we need to help our economy and bring jobs back to the USA etc. However would you still want to end up paying more of a premium on Apple products?
USA made is great if its still $199
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moto X - Designed by you. Assembled in the USA. Explicitic Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1002 Jul 23, 2014 04:53 PM
iPhone 6 or 7: made in USA? MartyBeez iPhone 33 Aug 31, 2013 02:01 PM
Made in USA important? jmlee111 iPhone Accessories 7 Aug 2, 2013 04:31 PM
Made in Ireland or USA? virginblue4 iMac 18 Feb 26, 2013 04:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC