Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firefly2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I've ordered a new Mac Mini that I am ridiculously excited about. I'm guessing I'll see a decent increase in capability over my beloved 11 yr old powermac G5 (dual 2.0Ghz, 512MB X850XT, 1.25TB, 5GB DDRAM.)? Sadly it died and I cannot find the problem. Something to do with the connections for the RAM onto the logic board.

New Mac Pros are looking both unaffordable and overpriced, and I've been very impressed with the specs and the reviews of the new Mac Mini. Shame about the lack of discrete graphics card. I've ordered an i7 2.6Ghz, fusion drive alongside a 16GB RAM upgrade from crucial.

One thing I'm really looking forwards to is playing Star Trek Online (feel free to mock me for being a geek). It's the only game I've really played in recent years. It does run on the HD4000 integrated graphics with no problems - it's a 3 year old game now. I stopped playing it 2 years ago when somehow I corrupted the partition I was running windows on on my wife's MBP. There's no mac version (though there is a WINE wrapper - not that that means too much to me).

Now what should I install on the Bootcamp partition?? From what I understand I won't see any benefit from the SSD portion of the fusion drive (as that's restricted to Mac OS X only). And crucially will the Mac Mini happily run Windows XP or am I better running Windows 7? It's so long since I entered the windows world - may last windows computer ran Windows 98 - in the past I found for playing games it was always better to have the most basic, oldest, least resource hungry version of windows in the background. But I'm worried that if I use Windows XP it won't have the drivers for the Mac Mini's hardware? Or does bootcamp take care of all that?

I am coming from the perspective of being an absolute novice when it comes to the technical side of computing - I just use computers, I don't understand them. Any help appreciated! The basic question is - Windows XP or Windows 7?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The basic question is - Windows XP or Windows 7?

Like asking a condemned man if he wants to be shot with a Winchester or a Smith & Wesson ;)

Win7 has more support for latest DirectX and can address more memory, I would expect fewer problems from 7 all things being equal. If you already own XP though, just use what you have.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Now what should I install on the Bootcamp partition?? From what I understand I won't see any benefit from the SSD portion of the fusion drive (as that's restricted to Mac OS X only). And crucially will the Mac Mini happily run Windows XP or am I better running Windows 7?

The Bootcamp utility won't let you install XP without effort, and the drivers it provides don't support XP so your decision is pretty much made for you.

Firefly2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
The Bootcamp utility won't let you install XP without effort, and the drivers it provides don't support XP so your decision is pretty much made for you.

Ok thank you both of you very much for the help. I'll go with whatever's simplest I think as my computer knowledge is very limited - I actually used to be alright with Windows and DOS but since I had Apple computers I've never needed to delve below the surface as it's always just worked :)

I guess that the Mac Mini is very happy running Windows 7 with a bit of light gaming? The HD4000 by all accounts sounds like a bit of a step forwards integrated graphics wise - and the 768MB VRAM that apparently the 16GB RAM upgrade will give me sounds pretty impressive - though I guess it's slower RAM than a dedicated GPU? Having survived with 64MB VRAM for the last decade I reckon it'll be a step up!

And if Windows XP can't address 16GB RAM I guess my decision is doubly made for me....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.