Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coconor39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I have an early 2009 Macbook running OS 10.6 (I think) that was perfectly fine this morning, I closed it on my desk to put it to sleep, and when I opened it this afternoon, the screen would not turn on. I can still hear it turning on and off, the power cord lights up appropriately, and the volume buttons seem to work. And when shining a flashlight on the screen, I can see the faintest parts of my desktop, and even tab through some buttons. However, pressing the power indicator button on the left side has no effect--none of the green lights show up. I tried adjusting the screen brightness, removing the battery, running it with just the powercord and not the battery, resetting the SMC, resetting the PRAM, all of which were unsuccessful. The screen just remains completely black--no flickering, no gray screen, northing. I can't do a safe boot or try to boot from a USB, because the screen resolution won't actually show me anything, not even a gray screen. Even with the flashlight, I can't seem to find the mouse and do anything on the screen, though I have been able to tab through some buttons. Any suggestions? Thank you!

(Note: I'm currently working at a clinic in a developing country, so can't bring it in to a store for help. All my data is backed up, so I'm less worried about recovering my files and more want to be able to use my computer for the next month while I'm down there).

coconor39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Unfortunately the fact that I have Internet access is already pretty unusual; there is definitely nowhere for me to get an external monitor. I've actually now had a little more success with my flashlight and was able to find my mouse and open/close a few things, so if anyone has any system preferences I can try to change, I'm still hopeful that might create a temporary solution, even if longterm I need a new backlight or some other hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.