Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Roseburgz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Mac mini 2012 powerful enough graphic design machine?

First post on here! Hello to everyone.

I'm in a weird spot right now, I had plans to purchase a 27" 2012 imac with a an i7 for graphic design work (I would be working in illustrator and photoshop and those would be the only real thing ran... No games) but I've seen online from many different people that they are shipping with the LG screens... Leading to image retention and this frame me out. I live an hours drive from the nearest apple store and would have to rely on them for repairs...

So my question is, would the maxed out 2012 Mac mini be a viable option to run these programs? Or should I take a chance on the imac? I would be purchasing a maching Thunderbolt Display (that shouldn't have image retention)

Thanks for all your help!
Roseburgz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseburgz View Post
First post on here! Hello to everyone.

I'm in a weird spot right now, I had plans to purchase a 27" 2012 imac with a an i7 for graphic design work (I would be working in illustrator and photoshop and those would be the only real thing ran... No games) but I've seen online from many different people that they are shipping with the LG screens... Leading to image retention and this frame me out. I live an hours drive from the nearest apple store and would have to rely on them for repairs...

So my question is, would the maxed out 2012 Mac mini be a viable option to run these programs? Or should I take a chance on the imac? I would be purchasing a maching Thunderbolt Display (that shouldn't have image retention)

Thanks for all your help!
I think it would work fine.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Roseburgz
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thanks, just don't want to end up with a machine I have to repair 2 months later..
Roseburgz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I think it would work fine.
I would second that as long as you avoid hdmi displays. The better ones are all displayport anyway. Prior to that higher quality displays typically used some variation of DVI. I would bump the ram from its default configuration. OSX is terrible at memory management. Creative Suite is equally bad. Aside from that 16GB can be purchased under $100, and it can be worth it, especially if you have more than one application open with designs loaded. 8GB is the minimum you'd want to buy today (just memtest any memory upgrades). Adobe recommends 8GB for CS applications in CS6. Who knows with CS7 or 8. If the workload includes motion graphics such as C4D work, then I might be more concerned about the gpu. Otherwise it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseburgz View Post
Thanks, just don't want to end up with a machine I have to repair 2 months later..
What do you mean repair? Test it out once you get it. It should not lag. It doesn't even have to be maxed. I'd go with the cheapest quad core model, max ram, add ssd if still making use of scratch disks. If you need terabytes of storage, look at external arrays for that.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
warvanov
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
As somebody who ran Photoshop on a Performa back in the day I would say yes, a current gen Mac mini should be powerful enough to do the same work.
__________________
13" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro // 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini // iPhone 5
warvanov is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Roseburgz
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I would second that as long as you avoid hdmi displays. The better ones are all displayport anyway. Prior to that higher quality displays typically used some variation of DVI. I would bump the ram from its default configuration. OSX is terrible at memory management. Creative Suite is equally bad. Aside from that 16GB can be purchased under $100, and it can be worth it, especially if you have more than one application open with designs loaded. 8GB is the minimum you'd want to buy today (just memtest any memory upgrades). Adobe recommends 8GB for CS applications in CS6. Who knows with CS7 or 8. If the workload includes motion graphics such as C4D work, then I might be more concerned about the gpu. Otherwise it's fine.



What do you mean repair? Test it out once you get it. It should not lag. It doesn't even have to be maxed. I'd go with the cheapest quad core model, max ram, add ssd if still making use of scratch disks. If you need terabytes of storage, look at external arrays for that.
I was thinking about having to have the imac repaired... Seems like everyone is having a problem with them... But yes I would max the ram and also order the 256gb ssd hd for the mini. I like the idea of being able to upgrade to a new mini every year over having to replace the imac with a whole new machine
Roseburgz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:55 PM   #7
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseburgz View Post
I was thinking about having to have the imac repaired... Seems like everyone is having a problem with them... But yes I would max the ram and also order the 256gb ssd hd for the mini. I like the idea of being able to upgrade to a new mini every year over having to replace the imac with a whole new machine
No need to pay the Apple price for the Apple SSD (Solid State Disk), just bay the base quad-core model and add RAM (up to 16 GB of 1600 MHz 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM) later for less than 100 USD and buy a 256 GB SSD for less than 200 USD to replace the HDD (or HD - Hard Disk Drive).
The Crucial M4 and Samsung 840 SSDs are currently the recommended ones.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseburgz View Post
I was thinking about having to have the imac repaired... Seems like everyone is having a problem with them... But yes I would max the ram and also order the 256gb ssd hd for the mini. I like the idea of being able to upgrade to a new mini every year over having to replace the imac with a whole new machine
I understand that. Even then I'm not sure whether it's always worth upgrading annually. I would say if the cost to upgrade is favorable, it's a consideration. I dislike Apple's display offerings. They're adequate for people purchasing imacs. Otherwise better displays exist for what Apple charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warvanov View Post
As somebody who ran Photoshop on a Performa back in the day I would say yes, a current gen Mac mini should be powerful enough to do the same work.
You couldn't run CS6 on a Performa. It's a matter of modern software when it comes to file sizes and expected performance. Adobe apps are quite bloated as is OSX. It's terrible at memory management. I get annoyed whenever I see pageouts happening and obvious slowdowns with many GB of "inactive" ram. You also have to remember how many things have been added. At the time of the performa you didn't have as many things to be calculated. Did they even have hard and soft brushes at the time? I remember the percentage basis was either 7 or CS.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Roseburgz
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I was thinking that I would instal the ram on my own but the hard drive could be a little much for me to tackle.
Looks as though its playing the lottery on the new iMacs... Everything I've read points to the same IR issue as the mbpr... Can't believe that they are shipping these out to be honest. Wish it wasn't so, worth taking a chance on?
Roseburgz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:04 AM   #10
cosmos
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Adding an SSD to a Mini is not hard at all. Watch the installation video at macsales.com to see the process.

It really is not hard and you will save a lot of cash too.
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 2.8GHz Octo/16GB/SSD/HW RAID 5 Storage/Parallels - Win 7; 2010 8GB Mini; 64GB 3G iPad2; iPhone 5s
cosmos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
_bnkr612
macrumors 6502a
 
_bnkr612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Absolutely.

Installing 8-16GB of memory will help a lot, and everything else with or without an additional SSD will be more than enough for your needs. Digging into pro apps you might use (e.g., Photoshop), you should fine-tune everything you can to utilize the best of your machine's settings, while not letting it take everything (and always use a scratch disk!).



I think any machine from the last 6 years has been capable of graphic, and interactive design needs. Obviously, you'd like to get the best performance for your dollar, and a machine that's expandable. The '12 Mini pretty much does it all, and one of my favorite aspect of it would be the minimal power draw even when running a lot of apps simultaneously.
__________________
Mens sana in corpore sano.
_bnkr612 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
motrek
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
... OSX is terrible at memory management. ...
Source?
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #13
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Source?
Experience across machines. You don't need one to find the bugs and large amounts of inactive memory concurrent with heavy pageouts. It has become quite bloated in the past two revisions.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I use myriad image editing apps with my 2012 i7 2.3GHz Mini and it works fine for me. 16GB RAM is a must-have upgrade. I use an excellent NEC 24" display connected to the Thunderbolt port via a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter.

I have one display-related issue: waking from sleep causes the display to do a little dance before it stays on. I'm going to contact NEC to see if a display setting will fix it but it isn't a big deal. It's so minor I haven't bothered to take the time and I've been using it since last October.

Some CS6 features take advantage of GPU acceleration that isn't available with the Mini's Intel HD4000 graphic card. If you use those features a lot it can really slow things down but I don't use them so it is a non-issue for me.

Adobe has a webpage that details the GPU-intensive CS6 features. Barefeats.com has Mini test results for the specific CS6 GPU-accelerated features; they will help you decide if the Mini's GPU is a potential bottleneck in your image-editing workflow.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:34 PM   #15
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Experience across machines. You don't need one to find the bugs and large amounts of inactive memory concurrent with heavy pageouts. It has become quite bloated in the past two revisions.
I bet they haven't touched a single line of memory management code in the past two revisions - hell, probably four or five revisions.
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:52 PM   #16
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjleeds View Post
I bet they haven't touched a single line of memory management code in the past two revisions - hell, probably four or five revisions.
Snow Leopard seemed to be better at freeing it up, but OSX has never been that great about it. It may be more problematic now as we have far more X64 programs in the wild and a 64 bit kernel. I wish it was more aggressive about freeing up memory.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:28 PM   #17
righteye
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
From the sound of it you should be looking at a higher grade monitor Eizo/NEC
you should be assured of accurate colours and contrast, if your work is going onto the web only it may not be quite so essential but its always good to know that you are working accurately.
The mac mini should be fine for your uses and can be pimped into quite a high performance machine if needed. (OWC Mercury Helios PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis)


http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/HELIOS1A240/

There are rumours of the above but the PCIe SSD card will have 2 x esata ports built right onto the card giving extra connectivity options plus if people having bluetooth issues give an alternative to USB3

Last edited by righteye; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
righteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Mac for Graphic design and other work Amnak Buying Tips and Advice 10 Jan 10, 2014 04:27 PM
Help? New Mac Pro - Best Configuration for Graphic Design cojo Mac Pro 12 Dec 25, 2013 03:15 PM
2012 Mini has new fan design Poki Mac mini 27 Sep 4, 2013 12:39 AM
Help picking mac for Graphic Design/Animation jmbot Buying Tips and Advice 0 Aug 19, 2012 10:47 PM
iMac vs. Mini for graphic design work? ILikeTurtles Design and Graphics 11 Aug 13, 2012 09:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC