Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

URXP2ME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
If I were to plug my phone into iTunes, and back it up while it's jailbroken, what will happen? Will it be what my phone is now, but without Cydia and it's tweaks? If so, it would be a normal iPhone and all it's software. I appreciate your answers.

Thanks! - URXP2ME

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
If I were to plug my phone into iTunes, and back it up while it's jailbroken, what will happen? Will it be what my phone is now, but without Cydia and it's tweaks? If so, it would be a normal iPhone and all it's software. I appreciate your answers.

Thanks! - URXP2ME

Yep, all data intact. Minus anything jailbreak related...

omarb123

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Yep, all data intact. Minus anything jailbreak related...

Makes sense. Now would I have to backup my iPhone as it is now, Restore it to factory settings, AND then restore it from the backup I made when my iPhone was jailbroken? Then it'd be all back to normal, but like you said "minus anything jailbreak related"?

URXP2ME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Makes sense. Now would I have to backup my iPhone as it is now, Restore it to factory settings, AND then restore it from the backup I made when my iPhone was jailbroken? Then it'd be all back to normal, but like you said "minus anything jailbreak related"?

Yup, that's how it works. Back it up, restore it, then use a backup for the restoration. It's how it would be right now, except minus all the Jailbreak stuff.
I had an issue where it didn't get all my music on there, but when I clicked and dragged/drug one over, it added ALL my songs I previously had. I had to manually get the apps though, but I didn't try the click/drag with that. Hope this helps.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
iTunes only backs up specific, official iOS settings and information - onl stuff created with Apple-approved apps and features.

So when you do a restore, nothing jailbreak related will be injected into your restored iOS device.

jer9542

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how would I go about backing up my phone with the jailbreak intact? IOW my phone bricked and I had to restore and redo my jailbreak.. In the future (while i'm still on 6.1), can backup my phone with all my cydia tweaks and sources still intact?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.