Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Legality of Game-Based Utility Apps?

Hey,

I've seen a lot of apps both in the Google Play (Android) and App Store (iOS) that are utilities for major, popular games (i.e. MMORPGs). By utility, I mean an apps that you get a better map of a certain video game fantasy land, "skill" calculators, leveling-up guides, etc.

Furthermore, many of these apps are either ad based or payed. Some of the more popular ones are obviously generating significant revenue and profit for the developer.

These specific utility apps obviously rely on the game being in existence in the first place.

What is the legality in this? Are these developers safe just by putting the basic disclaimers on how they do not own nor are affiliated with the game (and its rightful owners)?

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
IANAL, but so long as you're not reducing the game's revenues in any way, I see no reason they would care. Getting into contact with the company that makes the game and actually receiving an OK would be a good idea... In my experience to actually ever get an OK for something like this, you need to call on behalf of an established company.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Tags
app, app store, games, ios, legal