Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
mossme89
macrumors 6502

Bought a Galaxy S3 and am not crazy over it. Should I get the iPhone 5 or wait?

So I bought a Galaxy S3 a few weeks ago. I've been with Apple since iOS 1.1.1 and had just had an iPhone 4 for 2.5 years (since basically launch day 2010). I wanted to try something different and heard great things about the S3.

Well... I like it, but am just not crazy over it. I miss a lot of the little things of iOS such as viewing/responding to messages from the lock screen, easy navigation, Apple build quality, haven't been able to find a keyboard as accurate as iOS, things like that. Lots of little things that make me nostalgic for my iPhone. The fact of the matter is that Android vs Apple is like chocolate vs vanilla ice cream, both are great but it comes down to personal preference. I like Apple better.

I bought the S3 for $400 and spent $20 on an extended battery. I can probably get at least $400 back by selling it now. Then I found a good condition used iPhone 5 for $550. So an "upgrade" would cost me $150 total. So should I do it now or wait? The iPhone 5 is in the middle of it's life, maybe more so I'm wondering if I should wait for the 5S or 6 before getting that. I would be paying a $150 premium to buy a device of the same generation in the iPhone 5.
mossme89 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
So I bought a Galaxy S3 a few weeks ago. I've been with Apple since iOS 1.1.1 and had just had an iPhone 4 for 2.5 years (since basically launch day 2010). I wanted to try something different and heard great things about the S3.

Well... I like it, but am just not crazy over it. I miss a lot of the little things of iOS such as viewing/responding to messages from the lock screen, easy navigation, Apple build quality, haven't been able to find a keyboard as accurate as iOS, things like that. Lots of little things that make me nostalgic for my iPhone. The fact of the matter is that Android vs Apple is like chocolate vs vanilla ice cream, both are great but it comes down to personal preference. I like Apple better.

I bought the S3 for $400 and spent $20 on an extended battery. I can probably get at least $400 back by selling it now. Then I found a good condition used iPhone 5 for $550. So an "upgrade" would cost me $150 total. So should I do it now or wait? The iPhone 5 is in the middle of it's life, maybe more so I'm wondering if I should wait for the 5S or 6 before getting that. I would be paying a $150 premium to buy a device of the same generation in the iPhone 5.
The bold parts. Since that's the case, go for iPhone.
Beeplance is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
mossme89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
The bold parts. Since that's the case, go for iPhone.
Now or wait?
mossme89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Truefan31
macrumors 68000

I would wait. The s4 is coming real soon. And besides the physical differences, you can have the s3 do everything you mentioned. Rooting and flashing roms to tweak your phone. You can actually do more with the s3 then an iPhone honestly.
Truefan31 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Now or wait?
Go by your gut feeling. It's your phone, it's your choice.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
mossme89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Go by your gut feeling. It's your phone, it's your choice.
I might wait. It's still a good phone.
mossme89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:51 PM   #7
mossme89
macrumors 6502

Update: was offered a straight up trade. Might take it.
mossme89 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
batting1000
macrumors 601

Don't settle. Get what you know you'll like better in the long run.
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
For an iPhone 5? Personally I would definitely take it!
TyPod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:30 PM   #10
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Now or wait?
By all means wait. I'm dumping my iPhone 5 the moment they release the upcoming model. If you wait you'll be so glad you did. The iP5 is lackluster at best.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:37 PM   #11
MR Bulk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPod View Post
For an iPhone 5? Personally I would definitely take it!
As I reach my sixth decade of life it occurs to me that sometimes, waiting and continuing to use what I do not enjoy as much, is not worth a measly $150. Losing $150 will not affect my life. But losing a half-year, or however long it will be, of my remaining time certainly will. You can always get more money, you cannot get more life.
MR Bulk is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:41 AM   #12
Newtoiphone17
Banned

I had the s3 & I just didn't love it. I love my iphone 5. Android is just boring to me & the build quality was just a joke.
Newtoiphone17 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Now that the JB is out go with the i5.
Lots of fun and cool things to do if you're into it.
Applejuiced is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:08 AM   #14
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What are you waiting for?!?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:25 AM   #15
Willdr1991
macrumors newbie

I think you can wait, want to know why? I had the same experience as you. Had ios since the 3GS and my last iphone was the 4S. Got the s3 and didnt like it at first. Felt weird and wanted to get my iphone back. So few days later after customizjng a bit and downloading some good apps i actually loved my s3 more than i ever did an iphone. To be honest just give it a little more time it will grow on you. Then make your decision. The new iphone is coming out this summer, a few months. If you had your iphone 4 for 2 years then you can wait a little longer with the galaxy.

tip* as for the keyboard go into the playstore and download swiftkey3 that will solve all of your problems.
Willdr1991 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:42 AM   #16
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502a

I would sell your s3 while it is their flag ship phone. Once the s4 releases the s3 price will go down dramatically.

Also I know exactly what you mean. I notice ios is much more smooth than the s3.

There is a lot of features on the s3 but mostly gimmick and stuff you will never use.
Dmaynard83 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:48 AM   #17
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Bulk View Post
As I reach my sixth decade of life it occurs to me that sometimes, waiting and continuing to use what I do not enjoy as much, is not worth a measly $150. Losing $150 will not affect my life. But losing a half-year, or however long it will be, of my remaining time certainly will. You can always get more money, you cannot get more life.
Are you comparing iPhone with life?

lol
irDigital0l is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:13 AM   #18
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Now is a good time since you can jailbreak, thus you can still have all the customizations from Android on your iPhone
Grolubao is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:49 AM   #19
Willdr1991
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
I would sell your s3 while it is their flag ship phone. Once the s4 releases the s3 price will go down dramatically.

Also I know exactly what you mean. I notice ios is much more smooth than the s3.

There is a lot of features on the s3 but mostly gimmick and stuff you will never use.
The only reason why iOS is perceived to be smoother than the galaxy s3 is because iOS is severely lacking on the software side. Yes it is a very strong mature and capable mobile OS and i don't hate it. But the Galaxy s3 and android in general has way more features and tweaks that slow the system down more than iOS does, this is why android OEMs have to constantly put out more powerful hardware to be able to handle it all. iOS is just an app launcher and the multi-tasking isn't real multitasking so therefore its a piece of cake for the processors.
Willdr1991 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 AM   #20
Davejprince
macrumors regular

I would keep the S3 for a while, explore Android and make a decision when the S4 is here and the newer generation of the iPhone.
We are already "halfway through the iPhone 5" time-wise so you could wait to purchase a newer generation for the price of an iPhone 5 right now ( I bought the 4S for almost the price of a 5 in the end of May, I should've waited )
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:19 AM   #21
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdr1991 View Post
The only reason why iOS is perceived to be smoother than the galaxy s3 is because iOS is severely lacking on the software side. Yes it is a very strong mature and capable mobile OS and i don't hate it. But the Galaxy s3 and android in general has way more features and tweaks that slow the system down more than iOS does, this is why android OEMs have to constantly put out more powerful hardware to be able to handle it all. iOS is just an app launcher and the multi-tasking isn't real multitasking so therefore its a piece of cake for the processors.
Possibly but not likely. A more plausible reason ios is smoother is because all iPhones are optimized with ios. There are probably 100s of android devices and not all are optimized to the OS.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:34 AM   #22
Zaino
macrumors newbie

wait for 5S/6
Zaino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:05 AM   #23
jomarr
macrumors member

I say play with that S3 a little more. We don't know what will happen this year but I think it's likely that Apple will be releasing a phone on June.

But the iPhone 5 is great. I got mine last week and the jailbreak came right in time. If it wasn't for the Lumia 920 being delayed a billion times in our country, I wouldn't have gotten the iPhone 5. I was torn between the S3 and the iPhone 5 last week as well but I opted to go with the iPhone 5 since the S3s being sold here aren't LTE capable.

The 5 is an amazing phone. But I'm still a huge fan of Windows Phone. If I get fond of the iPhone after my contract expires, I might lock myself another 2 years for an iOS phone and I definitely agree with you that it all comes down to personal preference.
jomarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:31 AM   #24
CEmajr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Take that deal immediately. By sheer numbers you are coming out on top in that deal. An S3 is worth around $300 used while the iPhone 5 is around $500. Plus you're getting the better phone.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:08 AM   #25
MacLappy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Check the iPhone 5 out before swapping, deal sounds almost too good to be truth. Congrats if it works out. O and.... iPhone 5 for the win.
MacLappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone