Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
MacNut
macrumors P6

California Killings Spark Massive Manhunt

Quote:
It began with the mysterious killings of 28-year-old Monica Quan and her fiancÚ, 27-year-old Keith Lawrence, discovered dead Sunday night in a car parked in Irvine, Calif., 40 miles south of Los Angeles.

By Thursday, the suspect in those murders, Christopher Jordan Dorner, was at the center of a frantic two-state manhunt in California and Nevada, as he allegedly carried out a series of killings targeting police officers and their families, apparently motivated by revenge over his firing from the Los Angeles Police Department.

On Thursday morning, in two separate confrontations with police outside Los Angeles, Mr. Dorner killed one officer and wounded two others, police officials alleged. Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said the officers in one incident had been "ambushed" by Mr. Dorner, who carried "multiple weapons including assault rifles."

Thursday afternoon, officials said they had located Mr. Dorner's abandoned vehicle near a ski area in Big Bear, Calif., about 100 miles east of Los Angeles. San Bernardino Sheriff John McMahon said officers from several agencies were searching the community "door to door" and patrolling local roads. "He could be anywhere at this point," Mr. McMahon said.

The hunt for Mr. Dorner, a 33-year-old former U.S. Navy reservist, had Los Angeles and its police force of 10,000 officers on edge, with claimed sightings of Mr. Dorner or his vehicle as far south as San Diego.

In a manifesto posted online, Mr. Dorner named Los Angeles police officials whom he accused of corruption and blamed for losing his job in 2008. He wrote that he planned to target those officials and their family members, as well as law enforcement broadly.

"I never had the opportunity to have a family of my own, I'm terminating yours," he wrote. "Look your wives/husbands and surviving children directly in the face and tell them the truth as to why your children are dead."

Ms. Quan, believed to be Mr. Dorner's first victim, was the daughter of retired Los Angeles police official Randy Quan, who Mr. Dorner named as a target in his manifesto. Mr. Quan had represented Mr. Dorner in a hearing over whether to remove him from duty, according to Mr. Dorner's writing and police.

Police deployed protection details to 40 officers and their families named by Mr. Dorner as targets in his manifesto. "This is a vendetta against all California law enforcement," Mr. Beck said.

Mr. Dorner's grievances, detailed in his posting, revolve around his firing that he says occurred after he reported another officer for extreme use of force. He made the report after the officer gave him an "unsatisfactory" rating when he left her in the middle of a foot pursuit, a police official said.

The officer, named as a target by Mr. Dorner, is under protection with her family, according to an officer in her unit.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...580633824.html

Supposedly this guy is also against the NRA.

Who is going to protect us when the Police themselves go crazy and start killing their own.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

When are all these killings gonna stop?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:02 PM   #3
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
When are all these killings gonna stop?
When there are no humans left... not before.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

I hope this comes to a good resolution. If he isn't caught before he kills again they have a serial killer on their hands. One that knows how his own operates.

It will probably end in the cops finding him dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound or he's shot by 20 cops.

So sad to see more people lose their lives.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Nothing but ironies with this guy because he believes he's doing what he considers "the right thing" with a targeted massive killing spree. Obviously, he's mentally disturbed.

I agree with his whistle blowing but not in this way. I just hope that this comes to a good end.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

This is a very dangerous man.

Navy Officer
Trained with NSW
Willing to kill the children of people he doesn't like.
Combat vet.
Ex LEO

To all the LEO out there, good luck. This is an ugly situation.

And this is no small man either.

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
And this is no small man either.
Not sure why that matters.

he's killing people with guns ... not twisting their heads off with his bare hands.

And the cops will be going after him with guns ... not challenging him to an arm wrestling match.

EDIT: I think his intelligence will have more to do with how this ends than how much he bench presses.

Last edited by citizenzen; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:28 PM   #8
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Not sure why that matters.

he's killing people with guns ... not twisting their heads off with his bare hands.

And the cops will be going after him with guns ... not challenging him to an arm wrestling match.

EDIT: I think his intelligence will have more to do with how this ends than how much he bench presses.
This guy knows the people who are hunting him. He is not your average thug with a gun. He was trained by the people he is trying to kill.

Here is his manifesto pdf

Last edited by MacNut; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
This guy knows the people who are hunting him. He is not your average thug with a gun. He was trained by the people he is trying to kill.

Now you make him sound just like "Rambo".
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:37 AM   #10
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Don't forget, he is targeting specific people and their families here. In his head, the civilian casualties are just collateral damage.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:18 AM   #11
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Tragic.

It seemed early on he had proclivity for violence, maybe schizo.
Doesn't the LAPD have mental health screenings and mental health help?
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #12
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post

Reading the manifesto, I sort of pity the guy. He went through some hard times growing up and he lists a few social problems that are still in present in the United States. It is no excuse to start killing but still an interesting read.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:22 AM   #13
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

There is a timeline posted (and being updated) on reddit.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:35 AM   #14
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Doesn't the LAPD have mental health screenings and mental health help?

Ha! If that were the case we would have a lot less incidences of police abusing their authority and subjecting the very people they're hired to protect to brutality. And it's not just the LAPD but EVERY department across the country.

I forget where I saw it but there was a study conducted about cops joining the force for free just so they can get away with bullying the people they serve. That gun and badge is an ego trip for many of these guys.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

That manifesto is just....wow.

Also scary is the fact that the LAPD actually shot at civilians yesterday (in 2 separate incidents) because they thought it might have been the suspect. Scary time to be in So Cal...
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:50 AM   #16
zioxide
macrumors 603

But.. but.. I thought people who have proper firearm training never do things like this?

That's what the gun fiends have tried to tell me anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post

Also scary is the fact that the LAPD actually shot at civilians yesterday (in 2 separate incidents) because they thought it might have been the suspect. Scary time to be in So Cal...
Not surprising. People who have intelligence don't become cops.

Sounds like karma for the LAPD. Too bad innocent civilians are being caught in the crossfire.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:04 PM   #17
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Shoot first, ask questions later is the code modern-day cops live by unfortunately.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:09 PM   #18
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

This is the truck owned by the woman the cops shot.

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #19
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
But.. but.. I thought people who have proper firearm training never do things like this?
Maybe we should take guns away from cops then?
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
This is the truck owned by the woman the cops shot.

Lots of rubber band stacks in that lady's future.
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:17 PM   #21
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Maybe we should take guns away from cops then?
It works in many European countries.

Look at that damn truck. Two innocent women just minding their own business and the stupid ass cops who probably were barely smart enough to graduate high school decide to fire what looks like at least 30 rounds in to their car.

The cops who did that should be thrown in jail. Too many pigs shoot first and ask questions later probably because they are too damn stupid to make intelligent decisions. If cops can't even make a simple decision like telling two women apart from a huge armed black guy there is no way in hell they should have guns.

Hopefully those women don't die because they are going to be in for a major pay day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Shoot first, ask questions later is the code modern-day cops live by unfortunately.
Government-sanctioned thugs with badges.
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #22
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
It works in many European countries.

Look at that damn truck. Two innocent women just minding their own business and the stupid ass cops who probably were barely smart enough to graduate high school decide to fire what looks like at least 30 rounds in to their car.
Look again. Those little tent cards with numbers on them each represent a bullet fired.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:25 PM   #23
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

While I agree that what happened with police officers firing on innocent people is a terrible mistake, and they should absolutely be held accountable, all humans make mistakes. Not blowing it off or minimizing it at all, just saying that no one is infallible.

However, comments like the following always make me wonder what has happened to a person for them to use such huge generalizing statements to demonstrate such a tremendous disdain for a group of people who are generally good, and perform a dangerous job for the benefit of society.

Quote:
People who have intelligence don't become cops.
Quote:
stupid ass cops who probably were barely smart enough to graduate high school
Quote:
pigs
Quote:
too damn stupid to make intelligent decisions
Quote:
Government-sanctioned thugs with badges
Seriously... what happened to you to fill you with such hatred?
anonymouslurker is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:30 PM   #24
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
While I agree that what happened with police officers firing on innocent people is a terrible mistake, and they should absolutely be held accountable, all humans make mistakes. Not blowing it off or minimizing it at all, just saying that no one is infallible.
I agree, but not in this situation. LA should bring in outside police or FBI. They are too close to the situation.

Quote:
About 25 minutes after the shooting, Torrance police opened fire after spotting another truck similar to Dorner's at Flagler Lane and Beryl Street. No one was reported hurt.
Link
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:36 PM   #25
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post

Seriously... what happened to you to fill you with such hatred?
Probably failed the IQ and Mental Stability test to get on the Police Force.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues