Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
The nexus 4 is a neat phone, to say the least. The screen is amazing, not washed out at all to me and has more pop than my iPhone 5 in my opinion. It's fast and I like the UI.

Unfortunately, the camera sucks compared to my iPhone 5. Again, the interface is very cool in it and it has great editing options. But if you just want to point and shoot and have a good picture, 9/10 it won't be the case. The battery isn't the worst ever, but it certainly isn't great. I never even activated it on AT&T, just stuck to wifi. So I would assume battery would be terrible for me if I actually had cell service activated too.

Scrolling isn't as smooth, I find myself having to swipe more on apps like the browser and Facebook. If it had a better camera and bigger battery, I'd definitely keep it! Just my thoughts for anyone that may care.

(By the way, I do have a lot of experience with Android and I know the tips and tricks to improve many things, it just wasn't enough.)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
As much as I love my nexus 4 and will never get rid of it, I admit the battery could be better and the scrolling and pinch to zoom is a little numb. Still not bad but slightly noticable going back and forth between devices. Hopefully it's just a software issue.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Camera isn't great on Nexus 4. Battery is fine. It's the bad apps people install.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The nexus 4 is a neat phone, to say the least. The screen is amazing, not washed out at all to me and has more pop than my iPhone 5 in my opinion. It's fast and I like the UI.

Unfortunately, the camera sucks compared to my iPhone 5. Again, the interface is very cool in it and it has great editing options. But if you just want to point and shoot and have a good picture, 9/10 it won't be the case. The battery isn't the worst ever, but it certainly isn't great. I never even activated it on AT&T, just stuck to wifi. So I would assume battery would be terrible for me if I actually had cell service activated too.

Scrolling isn't as smooth, I find myself having to swipe more on apps like the browser and Facebook. If it had a better camera and bigger battery, I'd definitely keep it! Just my thoughts for anyone that may care.

(By the way, I do have a lot of experience with Android and I know the tips and tricks to improve many things, it just wasn't enough.)

The scrolling sensitivity issue is nexus 4 specific and should be fixed in the next patch. Theres a tweak to fix it now. The battery issue will be fixed as well.

If you want a better camera and better battery consider the galaxy s3 or the note II although once the battery drain bug on the nexus 4 is fixed in the next software update it should be on par with the s3. The note II is a step above in battery though.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The scrolling sensitivity issue is nexus 4 specific and should be fixed in the next patch. Theres a tweak to fix it now. The battery issue will be fixed as well.

If you want a better camera and better battery consider the galaxy s3 or the note II although once the battery drain bug on the nexus 4 is fixed in the next software update it should be on par with the s3. The note II is a step above in battery though.

You know this, how? Genuine question.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
With all the attention battery life is getting on the Nexus 4 one would think Google would hurry and at least get that fix out; if it exists.

I have a hunch the fix is not all that dramatic but would love to be wrong about it.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It has been merged into aosp and will be present in the next build.

this-is-beautiful.gif

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
With all the attention battery life is getting on the Nexus 4 one would think Google would hurry and at least get that fix out; if it exists.

I have a hunch the fix is not all that dramatic but would love to be wrong about it.

Michael

It should be dramatic. The nearly identical optimus g gets like twice the battery.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Michael

Your hunch would be incorrect. The difference will be quite noticeable.

----------

The scrolling sensitivity issue is nexus 4 specific and should be fixed in the next patch.
Correct.

..although once the battery drain bug on the nexus 4 is fixed in the next software update it should be on par with the s3. The note II is a step above in battery though.
It won't put it on par with the Note 2, but I definitely think it's better than my GS3 was.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Your hunch would be incorrect. The difference will be quite noticeable.

----------

Correct.

It won't put it on par with the Note 2, but I definitely think it's better than my GS3 was.

How do you know this for certainty? When do we think Google is going to push out 4.2.2?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm just incredibly skeptical. Bare in mind, I genuinely hope these huge battery fixes will be true come 4.2.2. I really want to keep my Nexus 4.

But the whole Nexus 4 campaign/experience has felt like a big lie. We were promised that in exchange for LTE we'd get 15+ hour of talk time, and over 350+ (forgot exact number) of standby time. Read my earlier threads about the Nexus 4 -- I was ecstatic about its features, specs and promises. It gets nowhere near that. Their pre-release to the tech journalists should have made them aware of the battery issue, but they released it anyway. The release itself was a debacle that I won't get into, but in short, it really hurt my faith in Google's ability to launch their own devices (and it's not the first time they funked up a launch. The Nexus S, the Galaxy Nexus all had their own launch issues). And now, after months, there have been no fix to the battery.

There's not a single ounce of info regarding the charging orb. The camera software is slow and the quality of pictures are just terrible. Chrome and Chrome Beta have their share of oddities and issues, though they remain the best smartphone browsers. There are other little things.

The price to pay to use stock Android and to get immediate updates are starting to feel, in my humble opinion, heavy burdens that aren't worth it. Don't mistaken, I really like my Nexus device. There's just a lot to forfeit...

That's just me.

I'll be keeping a very interested eye on the S4 this Spring/Summer depending on how 4.2.2 works out.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
OP I'm with you , I HATE the Nexus 4 camera I recently went out of town and shot a few pix same came out fine and same were just horrible, messy pictures, I've never had any screwed up chopped up pictures on my iPhone 5, everything else is not a biggie, but the camera camera camera sucks, I want to hold on to it for a few months and see what else is coming out, S4, iP5S , iP6 also that Sony Xperia looks great I'm sure it's camera surpasses the iP5 Sony Made camera

About the update I can careless lol, it might fix the battery , but for sure won't fix the sloppy camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.