Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:48 AM   #26
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a

I hate having those apps installed to play games. All I wish is a game that runs by itself and when I quit it, it should completely goes off from the memory and stop taking CPU cycles.
MacMan988 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:49 AM   #27
Pman17
macrumors member

meh, not enough games

They need Battlefield 3 for Mac.
Pman17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:54 AM   #28
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriden View Post
EA is the soulless corporate juggernaut of the gaming industry.
I'd say that's more Activision these days. EA tends to flip flop between being absolute bastards and pretty alright at times.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:01 AM   #29
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan988 View Post
I hate having those apps installed to play games. All I wish is a game that runs by itself and when I quit it, it should completely goes off from the memory and stop taking CPU cycles.
Me too! This is why I hate Steam. You want a game? Get this thing, and make an account to play it. Yeah sorry, but Ima pirate this one.
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:04 AM   #30
Ausn
macrumors member

How can you release a plattform like Origin without publishing FIFA 13 on it?
Still have to use Bootcamp for FIFA?! :< outch
Ausn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:11 AM   #31
Eriden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I'd say that's more Activision these days. EA tends to flip flop between being absolute bastards and pretty alright at times.
Activision is terrible as well. Decent developers were becoming few and far between until the recent rash of 90s gaming Kickstarters. The big names that I used to love; Bioware, Square, Valve... Have all lost the magic. AAA guaranteed ROI titles are all they care about, and they don't care whether the games are any good.
Eriden is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:28 AM   #32
Canaan
macrumors member

This would maybe be good news if EA didn't suck and would stop using Cider ports and actually port the games to run natively.

(I am still mad at EA for butchering Command and Conquer)
Canaan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:34 AM   #33
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo50 View Post
This will never be installed on my machine.

You had me at "EA".
Agreed. I'll be thrilled if this becomes EA's sole distribution method, as that'll mean I'll never have to be subjected to their games again (or have to check the logos on a game before buying it... Although, now that I think about it, I buy by company anyways... id, Nintendo, Rare, Blizzard, Valve, and Ubisoff are all good... I can't think of many other companies with good track records.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:38 AM   #34
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriden View Post
Activision is terrible as well. Decent developers were becoming few and far between until the recent rash of 90s gaming Kickstarters. The big names that I used to love; Bioware, Square, Valve... Have all lost the magic. AAA guaranteed ROI titles are all they care about, and they don't care whether the games are any good.
Eh, I'd still consider Valve one of the good ones. About the only complaint I have about them is that it takes forever for them to release anything. But hey, I'd rather them spend an inordinate amount of time getting something right then just rushing everything out the door to make a quick buck.

Square? I haven't been too stoked about anything they've done since the PS1. Bioware? I've always thought of them as being pretty okay, and I'd say they're still...yeah...pretty okay. Beyond the Baldur's Gate games, I've never been all that excited about them.

There's always been tons of developers out there making great games, and the once greats drifting by the wayside when the old talent moves on to new things. It really isn't any worse now than it has been for the last 30 years of game history. The greats come, the greats go, and new greats come in to take their place. It's the way of the world.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:53 AM   #35
joemod
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Just wondering, what has EA done that makes everyone hate it so much? I honestly don't know because I haven't experienced much EA on a PC besides the Harry Potter games and a horrible avatar system for PGA. When I think of EA, I think of SSX3, NASCAR '07, Need for Speed Underground, Harry Potter, and Harry Potter 2, which are good games.
Because EA has been constantly buying studios which created very good games with great content and turned them into studios which created questionable products. At least that's the perception. Bioware is one of them.
If I am allowed to make a wild analogy EA is the Microsoft of gaming industry. It's a colossus and (almost) everybody loves to hate it.
joemod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:54 AM   #36
upthetoffees
macrumors member

Zero EA policy over here, I play games but won't go near EA stuff, nice to see most are in same boat, they deserve all they get.
upthetoffees is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:51 AM   #37
iPusch
macrumors 6502

I don't see the point of the hate base...
I have already downloaded Origin due to the near release of SimCity later next month^^
And guess what, I do not feel any bad :P
Should I?
iPusch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 AM   #38
capoeirista
macrumors 6502

This won't go anywhere near my mac partition. I might have to install it on my boot camp partition, however, because I kind of want to play Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3. I'll probably buy them from amazon, rather than from Origin. EA don't strike me as a company known for their discounts...
capoeirista is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:12 AM   #39
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by boto View Post
I will NEVER install this spyware game client on my Mac. NEVER. Windows is a different story since I don't store any important information on my Bootcamp partition, only games.
I keep hearing this, but have never heard any specifics. What exactly makes Origin spyware?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:17 AM   #40
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
I keep hearing this, but have never heard any specifics. What exactly makes Origin spyware?
In the Terms and Conditions for installing Origin, EA pretty is very vague on that data Origin collects from a user and users computer.

Here's a good read about it: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-...-PC-36690.html
watchthisspace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:37 AM   #41
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

WHAT? A bvig company collecting users data?! Well, so does Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Twitter...(and so on).

I installed it and it works like a charm. Great selection of games (altough quite pricey).
AlbertEinstein is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:19 AM   #42
VoR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
WHAT? A bvig company collecting users data?! Well, so does Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Twitter...(and so on).

I installed it and it works like a charm. Great selection of games (altough quite pricey).
Apple, Google and Microsoft all have a range of software, from full operating systems to tiny text editors - they all manage to resist the urge to scan your entire machine and upload its contents, unlike EA
VoR is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:56 AM   #43
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
"Origin is quite similar to Valve's Steam." What's the point then?
EA does not sell their games through Steam.

Quote:
Unless this turns out to be a more stable and less annoying version of Steam (which I don't use because it's CRAP), then it's dumb.
Steam is widely regarded as the next best thing since sliced bread. It's awesome.

Quote:
I've also used just one EA thing on a PC before, and it was a horrible experience. But all their software for game consoles is good.
All their PC software is software for game consoles, so by extention...

But no, really, EA sucks as a company.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeirista View Post
This won't go anywhere near my mac partition. I might have to install it on my boot camp partition, however, because I kind of want to play Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3. I'll probably buy them from amazon, rather than from Origin. EA don't strike me as a company known for their discounts...
Install Origin, buy from Amazon, input the key into Origin and have an always-up-to-date downloadable version of the game available to you whenever you want it. Throw DVD away or pack it away in the basement.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthetoffees View Post
Zero EA policy over here, I play games but won't go near EA stuff, nice to see most are in same boat, they deserve all they get.
Sorry to break it to you, but most are not in your boat.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan988 View Post
Believe me, your computer has so much more running in the background on a constant basis that you have no control over. You seriously need to upgrade your machine if it can't handle something so inconsequential as Origin.

Origin is currently idle on my machine, uses 0% CPU and 37 MB of memory. That might have been problematic if we were in the mid-90's.
locust76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:56 AM   #44
dazza611
macrumors newbie

Why don't they put this in the Mac App Store? Only want it for the new SimCity!! I would rather buy the game from the App Store!
dazza611 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:23 AM   #45
haravikk
macrumors 65816

As much as I dislike EA it's good to see that at least Steam will have some competition. While Steam's prices have been generally great, competition ought to keep that trend up even as Steam continues to gain popularity.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:15 AM   #46
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza611 View Post
Why don't they put this in the Mac App Store? Only want it for the new SimCity!! I would rather buy the game from the App Store!
It wouldn't pass the smell test. Origin would not pass Apple's privacy guidelines.

It scans your whole computer and send information to EA and unknown third parties. Data such as which app are installed and when they are used, your bookmarks and browser history, collect data with who you are contacting for example e-mail addresses.

It also slows your computer down significantly because it always scans what you are doing.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:16 AM   #47
VoR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
As much as I dislike EA it's good to see that at least Steam will have some competition. While Steam's prices have been generally great, competition ought to keep that trend up even as Steam continues to gain popularity.
It's competition I guess, but they're hardly pushing Valve. EA have just released their shop/personal machine scanning tool, they are still 'just' EA - A load of accountants

Valve are a fantastic company, they still have the indie spirit and the work their doing on steambox (or whatever its called) is and will continue to be fantastic news for all gamers on all platforms.
The OpenGL stack is such a mess on OSX and anything graphics related is very fast moving on linux, but watching the work their doing and seeing more and more native ports is very exciting! Real vision...and balls
VoR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:23 AM   #48
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Me too! This is why I hate Steam. You want a game? Get this thing, and make an account to play it. Yeah sorry, but Ima pirate this one.
Pirating isn't a solution, you're just being dishonest and blame others. Steam is grat, it lets you easily finds friends, join server, updates games, chat and many many other things. Origin is just a clone.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:45 AM   #49
Tech198
macrumors 601

Everyone's turning to the Cloud now-a-days.

Its happening.. Who will be next ?

Looks like i'll get that MBA after all ..
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:47 AM   #50
rmwebs
Banned

Stuck between a rock and a hard place now.

I want Sim City 5, but wont touch Origin or any other EA 'software management' crap.

Sadly the only option is to take the game, and manually rip it appart and put it in a cider wrapper.

----------

Quote:
Whats wrong with Steam? It's generally WAY better than the crap EA pushes. They are also very lenient with purchases (e.g if you owned a Windows version, you get the Mac version for free) and dont shove their stuff down your throat every time you go to play a game.

Plus the sales are amazing. I picked up Civ5 + all expansions last year for 2.99 - reduced from something like 40. EA would never do that!
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion