Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:34 AM   #326
AaronEdwards
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post
I agree that fragmentation isn't an issue comparatively speaking, for what's proposed with iOS here (an additional PPI device with the same resolution and aspect ratio), but I disagree that the Wintel model fits the same as the mobile device model. The nature of touch screens alone makes a much larger "fragmentation" difference than you would get on a pure command line or mouse/keyboard type of interface. And even though the PC market survived in spite of "fragmentation", that doesn't mean that it wouldn't have been even more successful in certain ways without it.
If you are any good at GUI programming, then different screen sizes is not an issue. If you only are able to write code for a specific number of pixels, then you should find something else to do.

Without IBM PC clones, the IBM PC had not been as successful as it is. IBM PC clones led to domination but also fragmentation. Apple, on the other hand, chose control and conformity.

Looking at the iPhone vs phones running Android, it's the same all over again, with the difference that Apple got a big head start this time. Any company can make a smartphone with Android on it, but only Apple can make a phone with iOS on it.
AaronEdwards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:37 AM   #327
fiveainone
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Now THAT's a rumor. A source told a small site in China that there'll be a 5" iPhone. A "source" (me) just announced on MR that there'll be a 6" iPhone!
fiveainone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:52 AM   #328
petrucci666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
In other news...today is Friday!
petrucci666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #329
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by beosound3200 View Post
haha, again, you didnt understand me

im saying that this huge screen trend is misinterpretation. im saying that people (majority) dont actually like huge screens but are buying them because of lack of options:

if you wanna go high end you have only two options, apple and 4inch screen and android with its huge screens. get it now?

i curious what would happen if samsung came out with two IDENTICAL phones regarding specs, but one with 4 inch screen and the other with 5 inch screen. which one would sell more? i say the first one, by a huge margin, but thats just my opinion.

hence, apple isnt the one who needs to give a choice, samsung and the others are. so samsung, make a high end phone with a normal, not niche screen size.

so the current huge screen trend is a summary of two things. people dont wanna go apple, but want a high end smartphone. do you understand what im trying to say?

i honestly believe they (apple) wouldnt make any tangible difference in sales if they indeed went bigger

iphone 5 is big for me as it is. i need absolutely and exclusively one hand operation phone.

please tell me, why bigger screen? for what? like we agreed, movies, book reading etc. have their own respective devices...

the only real life application for a huge screen for me is if im bored somewhere, like commuting, in class etc. but i have a car. i work. im not bored. and watching a movie on a 5 inch screen would make my neck, head and eyes hurt.

bigger screen pros are similar to android pros. why is android better? because i can download torrents on it -.- i can watch movies on a bigger screen -.-

i guess steve jobs was right all this time, YOU'RE USING IT WRONG, thats a phone we're talking about

phone with a 5 inch screen is like a laptop with a 21 inch screen, out of order, smth is not right, understand?
HaHa, Look, Im not going to go back and forth with you on something that honestly makes no difference to me one way or the other. Like I said I dont own any Apple devices anymore. I see your points. You can call the larger screen a "trend". You can say its because Samsung cant compete. I dont care. But if you read reviews about people that picked up the galaxy note or the note 2 you will see most of them did not think they would enjoy the larger screen.
Yet they actually ended up loving it and said now they wont go back to a larger screen. Thats how I feel. I wont..unless I must go back to a smaller screen size. You also see many people here....on this site..that would like a larger screen.

And im not saying Apple NEEDS to give a choice.

"please tell me, why bigger screen? for what? like we agreed, movies, book reading etc. have their own respective devices..."

If all those have their own respected device..then what are you using your phone for? Maybe I use mine differently. To me its not really a phone anymore. Its like a pocket PC. In fact I rarely use it as a phone. Web surf..txt...email...apps..banking..games...so I guess thats why I prefer the larger screen.

If the Galaxy s4 came out tomorrow and was a 4 inch..I would not buy it. I enjoy having a larger screen. Thats just me. Why are TV's coming out with bigger screens all the time? Because people enjoy watching the content on larger screens I would imagine. More enjoyable?
jasvncnt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #330
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlmedia View Post
A lot of reviews think it is cleaner than Androids own version. I like it for street view, but the Nav now does not say street names in either Droid or iOS which it used to in Android which kinda misses the point. A vague "turn left up ahead" may work in the US - but is rubbish in the UK. That said Apple Maps is good here now (finally) and the navigation is great.
It says the street names for me on my Galaxy Nexus.
__________________
Macbook 2008
HP Dv7t - 2.53 ghz, 9600m GT, WSXGA+, 120gb ssd, 250 gb 7200rpm
Core i7 3770k, 8gb ram, 2x 120gb sdd raid0, 500gb hdd, GTX 460
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #331
Alchematron
macrumors 6502a
 
Alchematron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maui
Yes, I will buy!
__________________
No New World Order
Alchematron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:56 AM   #332
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchematron View Post
Yes, I will buy!
No you wont! beosound3200 says you dont need a larger screen.
jasvncnt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:58 AM   #333
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hong Kong
A 5" iPhone 6 will still be considered too small for some ppl because Samsung are going to make their Note III a 6.3" phone.

However, I still love 4.7" the most. A phone is a phone, it shall be ultra-portable and not being a laptop or tablet which needs a big bag to carry.
__________________
cMBP: 2.6 i7, 16GB

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:07 PM   #334
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptajn Haddock View Post
5" iPhone?! Steve Jobs is rolling around in his grave!

That will never happen!!!
Oh look, havent seen these guys since pre ipad mini....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beosound3200 View Post
haha, again, you didnt understand me

im saying that this huge screen trend is misinterpretation. im saying that people (majority) dont actually like huge screens but are buying them because of lack of options:

if you wanna go high end you have only two options, apple and 4inch screen and android with its huge screens. get it now?

i curious what would happen if samsung came out with two IDENTICAL phones regarding specs, but one with 4 inch screen and the other with 5 inch screen. which one would sell more? i say the first one, by a huge margin, but thats just my opinion.

hence, apple isnt the one who needs to give a choice, samsung and the others are. so samsung, make a high end phone with a normal, not niche screen size.

so the current huge screen trend is a summary of two things. people dont wanna go apple, but want a high end smartphone. do you understand what im trying to say?

i honestly believe they (apple) wouldnt make any tangible difference in sales if they indeed went bigger

iphone 5 is big for me as it is. i need absolutely and exclusively one hand operation phone.

please tell me, why bigger screen? for what? like we agreed, movies, book reading etc. have their own respective devices...

the only real life application for a huge screen for me is if im bored somewhere, like commuting, in class etc. but i have a car. i work. im not bored. and watching a movie on a 5 inch screen would make my neck, head and eyes hurt.

bigger screen pros are similar to android pros. why is android better? because i can download torrents on it -.- i can watch movies on a bigger screen -.-

i guess steve jobs was right all this time, YOU'RE USING IT WRONG, thats a phone we're talking about

phone with a 5 inch screen is like a laptop with a 21 inch screen, out of order, smth is not right, understand?
Thats not true at all. I have a note2 and I would not go back to iphone unless they made a 5" phone. I would not buy a 4" phone, not samsung, not apple, or whoever after using a larger screen. I had an iphone for almost 5 years. Sure there are guys like you that prefer a smaller screen but there are just as many that.............wait for it..................................think different.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #335
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Oh look, havent seen these guys since pre ipad mini....

----------



Thats not true at all. I have a note2 and I would not go back to iphone unless they made a 5" phone. I would not buy a 4" phone, not samsung, not apple, or whoever after using a larger screen. I had an iphone for almost 5 years. Sure there are guys like you that prefer a smaller screen but there are just as many that.............wait for it..................................think different.
Oh my God THANK YOU!!!! You just made one of my points in my other post about the note 2. After using my Galaxy's I will not go back to a smaller screen I dont care who makes it.
jasvncnt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:14 PM   #336
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beosound3200 View Post
samsung made a huge screen phone because they couldnt compete specs-wise, meaning benchmark scores, battery life etc.
Hmmmm not sure if ur serious....

My samsung has far better benchmark scores and specs. And even tho i can replace my battery, i dont need to because it smokes the iphone in battery performance. Do you really believe what you write? Sounds like you get all your info from just apple threads.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #337
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Hmmmm not sure if ur serious....

My samsung has far better benchmark scores and specs. And even tho i can replace my battery, i dont need to because it smokes the iphone in battery performance. Do you really believe what you write?
Oh he is serious.
jasvncnt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:21 PM   #338
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Thanks for the in dept experience. I can really see the little annoyances and inconveniences of Android that iPhone users take for granted. I think iPhone ESP after hearing about android is really really intuitive and like they say it "just works." No mess, no lag; I couldn't imagine tapping a button to access my apps. That right there is 1 of many deal breakers. Or pull down the notification bar to see my messages and emails haha! I know android folks talk about iPhone UI as being "sooo basic bla bla" but what's the point of a UI with more features but is inconvenient and I'd even say tedious to use on a daily basis....
You havent used android in a while have you. Or actually at all maybe????
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #339
NumberNine
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
3.5" is the perfect size

NumberNine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:24 PM   #340
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNine View Post
3.5" is the perfect size

Not what she says..
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:25 PM   #341
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
You havent used android in a while have you. Or actually at all maybe????
LOL I think your right. I think most of the people that trash Android have never actually used any Android device.
jasvncnt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #342
beosound3200
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvncnt View Post
HaHa, Look, Im not going to go back and forth with you on something that honestly makes no difference to me one way or the other. Like I said I dont own any Apple devices anymore. I see your points. You can call the larger screen a "trend". You can say its because Samsung cant compete. I dont care. But if you read reviews about people that picked up the galaxy note or the note 2 you will see most of them did not think they would enjoy the larger screen.
Yet they actually ended up loving it and said now they wont go back to a larger screen. Thats how I feel. I wont..unless I must go back to a smaller screen size. You also see many people here....on this site..that would like a larger screen.

And im not saying Apple NEEDS to give a choice.

"please tell me, why bigger screen? for what? like we agreed, movies, book reading etc. have their own respective devices..."

If all those have their own respected device..then what are you using your phone for? Maybe I use mine differently. To me its not really a phone anymore. Its like a pocket PC. In fact I rarely use it as a phone. Web surf..txt...email...apps..banking..games...so I guess thats why I prefer the larger screen.

If the Galaxy s4 came out tomorrow and was a 4 inch..I would not buy it. I enjoy having a larger screen. Thats just me. Why are TV's coming out with bigger screens all the time? Because people enjoy watching the content on larger screens I would imagine. More enjoyable?
you're not holding your tv in your hand nor in your pants, thats the difference

there's practically no confinement in tv sizes - the bigger the better, nor in desktop monitors, also can be huge. i would prefer 30'' imac

but laptops have those confinements because they need to be mobile

smartphones have a huge confinement. size of one's pocket, size of one's hands, one hand operation.

im the first and loudest guy that will tell you his appreciation of big screens, i adore big screens, but there's one thing more important. practicality. i dont carry my imac around so the big screen isnt an issue, its a plus, but a mobile phone... if i cant type a message (basic function) and operate a phone with one hand comfortably then its not a phone...

i use it for those things you mentioned also, but texting isnt better on bigger screen you can barely hold, nor is emailing. surfing definitely is, but i would rather surf on a huge screen. and i do.

and thats the problem. people want their phones to be computers. they are not, and they will never be. they need to be small, thin, light and do that limited number of operations they are designed for perfectly. its not perfect in any way if i can barely hold it with one hand. maybe one day we'll have expendable screens, i would love that, but i could still hold it with one hand

so i chose two devices that are great in what they do. i watch movies/games/heavy reading/surfing on my imac and make calls/messages/emails/'remote' stuff on my compact iphone

i cant be both lawyer and a pro basketball player. i need to choose one thing, hence:

SPECIALIZATION (a term that describes human evolution from prehistoric societies to today)

a phone is a phone

a computer is a computer

and a laptop is a laptop

if you mix them, you get bad hybrids, bad compromises, that arent great in anything, just average, or below

so, galaxy s3 is worse than iphone in basic phone functions and practicality, not to mention battery life, and also worse than imac in terms of gaming/watching movies/performance

if you ask me, thats not a good phone, its too large to be a phone, its to small to be anything else. so whats the catch?

let me ask you, where's the limit? in tvs there are non, i would like a 100 inch tv. but in smartphones, wheres the limit?
beosound3200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #343
robeddie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.
If anything, you're the victim of a 'pro-apple troll'. Those guys hang around this site ready to pounce on anybody who dares criticize Apple.

That said, I'm not totally on board with the idea that Apple is 'withering and dying', but no question they're on the downslope at the moment.
__________________
Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with a 100% fatality rate.
robeddie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #344
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvncnt View Post
LOL I think your right. I think most of the people that trash Android have never actually used any Android device.
But whats stupid by apple is i have apple everything except for my phone now and that is because i found the iphone 5 was such a dissapointing upgrade (in my opinion) so i bit the bullet and now that i have an android, im actually enjoying it and now recommending it to all my friends and family. And I know im not the only one, they could lose alot of their customers if they wont stop being so stubborn.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:33 PM   #345
beosound3200
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Hmmmm not sure if ur serious....

My samsung has far better benchmark scores and specs. And even tho i can replace my battery, i dont need to because it smokes the iphone in battery performance. Do you really believe what you write? Sounds like you get all your info from just apple threads.
no, just anandtech.com

care for some links?
beosound3200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:34 PM   #346
DanteMann
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
If Apple made a the iphone 6 in a 5 inch and 4 inch version, I would easily bet the 5 inch version would totally trounced the 4 inch in sales. I have no doubt a solid majority (not all of course) of the blind followers on this very forum prefer a bigger screen than that pathetic 4 inch long and skinny display. The mix of their hatred for Samsung and their blind following of Apple will not allow them to admit they prefer a 5 inch to a 4 inch display.
DanteMann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #347
robeddie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueParadox View Post
Firstly, it's a rumour. And secondly, if this gossip piece is in fact the real deal, then so what?! Making a slightly bigger iPhone is not copying Samdung. And if you're upset about Apple's direction and ultimate demise, recommend you sell your hardware quickly while it's still worth something! No point hanging onto technology which won't be supported in the short term!!
Yea right, if we don't like the supposed direction Apple is going, we should sell all our stuff and buy a P-C!!!

You're a 'pro-apple' troll.
__________________
Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with a 100% fatality rate.
robeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:36 PM   #348
Gulo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I may not be adding anything to this discussion, but I feel like it's pretty much going the way of the one on the iPad Mini before it came out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459632

Basically you had people declaring that nobody wanted the Mini, and an opposing group that said there's absolutely a market for it. The latter was right then, just like the group saying the 5" iPhone fulfills a desire is right now.

I'm a longtime iPhone user. I was in Costco last weekend. I looked at the Note 2 and the SIII. I held them in my hand. I put them in my jeans pockets, front and back. I'm only 6'2", and neither of them were too big; a 5" phone is not too big.

The smartphone is a media hub for most people these days. Like many others, that use takes precedence for me over it's phone capabilities.
Gulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:38 PM   #349
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinch View Post
Am I the only person who's content with 1 version of the iPhone every year? The iPhone 5 is exactly what I want. That's just what we need, more "Oh hey they made a small iPad and a big iPhone last year isn't it the same thing. We'll call this 5" phone the iPad mini mini."
Because the iPhone 5 is exactly what you want, you'd seriously turn down a phone that didn't have any side effects and had either better battery life or a faster chip?

Really?
clibinarius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:38 PM   #350
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beosound3200 View Post

a phone is a phone
This is where you go wrong. Even in the original iphone keynote its marketed as not just a phone. If a mobile was just a phone everyone would still be rocking a motorola startac.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report Claims Apple Will Launch 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 in August, Larger Model in September MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 166 May 16, 2014 07:19 AM
Sketchy Report Claims iPhone 5S Delayed Until Late 2013 Over Switch to 4.3-Inch Display MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 213 Jul 21, 2013 07:11 PM
Analyst Claims 60-Inch 'iTV' Could Launch in Late 2013 With 'iRing' Motion Control and iPad-Like Auxiliary Screens MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 268 Apr 5, 2013 11:45 PM
Verizon Imposing Vacation Blackouts September 21-30 in Line with iPhone Launch Claims MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 61 Aug 22, 2012 08:04 AM
Chinese source says they have the real iPhone 5 parts, will allow you to play with th Michaelgtrusa iPhone 1 Aug 22, 2012 06:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC