Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:39 AM   #126
navigator man
macrumors newbie

sometimes 'the rumors' are just ridiculous...!! not more and not less...this stupid arguments for a cheeper iphone are still going on and will never stop I'm afraid...na dann mal prost mahlzeit oder wie oder was...!! son schwachsinn kann man doch echt nicht glauben ey...!!
navigator man is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:41 AM   #127
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post

Persistent rumors have the new Galaxy S4 being released months before the next iPhone.

Apples got their work cut out for them, like never before
While there's no doubt Samsung makes spectacular smartphones... I don't think Apple has anything to worry about.

Samsung sold 63 million smartphones last quarter... but only 18 million of them were the flagship Galaxy SIII. There were a few million Galaxy Note II and Galaxy SII... but the rest were garbage Android phones. In other words... only 1/3 of Samsung's smartphones sold last quarter were mid to high-end phones.

Apple sold 47 million smartphones last quarter... and over 30 million of them were the flagship iPhone 5. The rest were the iPhone 4S and 4. All of Apple's phones sold last quarter were mid to high end.

Not that it's a contest or anything...

I'm excited to see what the Galaxy S4 brings... probably another 0.1" added to the screen and some more S-Things.

But Apple will still have amazing phones as well.
Michael Scrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:46 AM   #128
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

If they keep it the same width it will look out of proportion.
AppleScruff1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:48 AM   #129
tann
macrumors 65816

If true it means they are changing the resolution again for a second year running.

I still don't see a bigger than 4" until 2014.

But with all of the Android superphones coming out maybe they're caving.

But I don't see how a phone bigger than than the 5 will weigh less. It's going to have a bigger battery and just be BIGGER so if it's up to a similar build quality as the 5 it's going to weigh more.

I would guess iPad mini thickness though.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:50 AM   #130
TheRoyalBoob
macrumors newbie

Ooh , My first post after ages of reading...

This phone, if released will be the turning point I think. I don't massively need a 5" iphone.

The 4s is just a fine form factor. I could do with an ipad mini for the improved viewing but its function would be different to an iphone.

I've no desire to carry around a comedy phone in my pocket.

Then there is the backtracking the management have to do regarding the screen navigation point they brought up at the iphone 5 launch.

Yes its great to have choice , and unlike many I realise that innovation is likely to slow with each generation. When the next product is revealed and the inevitable complaining comes, I always wonder ' Just exactly what were you expecting? - teleporting and hologram replication? ' ...

But bigger screens?

No real need on a telephone. I don't think screen sizes are really what makes the Galaxy Note/ III faithful camp where they do.
TheRoyalBoob is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:51 AM   #131
eltaurus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.
yeah sure.. Ipad mini is success bcz its what customer /market wants.

so i own a iphone 4/4s but i am not planing to buy iphone 5 bcz it dosen't offer more..

i am waiting for galaxy s4 as it offer more freedom / sd card bigger screen.

I want new Mac Pro .. bcz MBP / iMac are good but they are not professional
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:59 AM   #132
frega
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljohnson72 View Post
Surely you're not serious. They have a commercial just about how "perfect" the screen size is. It's even mentioned in the Keynote at the iPhone 5 announcement.
5" is much too huge, I'm hating on my 4.7" Nexus4 now as is.

The "perfect screen size" just means you need to be able to reach the (all sides) far side of the screen with your thumb / and able to reach the home button.

All they need to do is lessen the top/bottom bezel and (if they can manage) an edge to edge screen and the screen would be able to move up to 4.3" full 720p. This would be ideal as all iP5 cases can be reused / updated.
frega is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:05 AM   #133
iNotion
macrumors regular

I don't need a bigger screen! I need a Better running OS!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:06 AM   #134
jmpnop
macrumors 6502a

The 5" iPhone would be taller not wider

And suddenly Apple fanboys will see point in huge screens, it'll be revolutionary and magical
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 AM   #135
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
They have iPad & iPad mini and customers don't seem to be that confused about them. Why two iPhone models would be confusing?
Way different. With that logic the 5" will cost more than the 4" then. The iPad is expensive and the mini was needed to compete with cheaper alternatives.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 AM   #136
dinggus
Banned

Please big a 5 inch screen but also wider to actually look good!
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:12 AM   #137
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

I do not want to buy a longer iPhone it does not make any sense. Longer iPhone may look like a freaking T. V. Remote control who want something like that.
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:17 AM   #138
ValO
macrumors member

I don' t get this approach.

They should address the problem of the demand for a larger screen by doing this:

1) release an iPod touch max/hd/+ in 6 inch size , 2272x1280 res
Or
2) release an ipad nano in 6 to 6,5 inch size ,2048x1536 res

Then:
Update iOS to make dedicated link between iPhone and this ipad/iPod through Bluetooth . Allowing this ipad/iPod to show notifications, missed calls,incoming calls, text messages, whatsapp messages, pictures, etc from the iPhone on this ipad/iPod.

This way Apple can test the waters and if this takes off they could decide to release an iPhone max/hd/+ or iphonepad based on one of these devices.

I would buy a bigger iPod or ipad nano if iOS could allow these features. I want a bigger screen, but I don' t want a bigger phone when I am making a call. I could have best if both worlds, and it would be a flexible system in which I could choose any iPhone and add a slightly larger screen later or keep the same iPhone and upgrade the ipad/iPod . For me the iPhone is a good size for a phone, but the ipad mini is too large when I am at work or on the road.
ValO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:25 AM   #139
BBCWatcher
macrumors member

I don't think Apple is going to release a physically larger iPhone in 2013. However, Apple might be able to enlarge the display on the iPhone 5 slightly by decreasing the bezel space all around. They'd keep the same number of pixels for software reasons. For example, if they increase to 4.25 inches diagonally they'd end up with about 307 dpi, down marginally from 326 dpi. Or they can go to 4.35 inches at 300 dpi. (These numbers are all rounded.) I think they could find the space in the current bezel for enlarging the display by 0.25 to 0.35 inches diagonally. A 0.5 inch stretch would probably be tough in the current form factor, but that would still yield 290 dpi -- still just fine.

I think Apple will move to 32, 64, and 128GB models in the next iteration, because....

What could be even more interesting is an iPhone mini with a 3.5 inch display and the same bezel diet. The iPhone mini would be an 8GB iPhone 4 in practically every other way except it would be thinner, use the 4th generation iPod touch's lower cost non-IPS display, add GLONASS (for sales in Russia), and add Siri -- all for about $399. The base 8GB model would only be available in black, or you could choose a 16GB model in black, blue, or gray for $469.
BBCWatcher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:28 AM   #140
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljohnson72 View Post
Have fun backpedaling on all the "this screen is the best size" marketing.
You misunderstand; there was a breakthrough in the labs when they were testing these devices.

They realised that, suddenly, everything was more awesome. Not only this, but there was hint of it being more amazingly magical.
miniroll32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:29 AM   #141
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post

Please big a 5 inch screen but also wider to actually look good!
Apple just switched to 16:9 for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

The next iPhone will be 16:9 as well.

And guess what... if you get pissed off and run over to Android... you'll find 16:9 there too!

The only decent phone that is not 16:9 is the Nexus 4.... but it's still 15:9

Sorry... the "tall" phones rule the roost
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:43 AM   #142
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Apple got so tired of suing Samsung - they decided to turn into them....
MacRumorUser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:44 AM   #143
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Apple have different sized iPads, laptops etc - I don't see why they can't do the same with the iPhone - 5" iPhone and the iPhone Mini !!!!!!!
Eadfrith is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:46 AM   #144
yegon
macrumors 68000

Pretty happy with my 5, especially now its jailbroken.

Ideally, I'd like a larger screen, maybe 4.5"-4.7". But higher res though, not like that Gruber endorsed mockup (linked below) that just makes text and icons bigger. I see little point in that, I want more screen real estate, not bigger fonts and icons - I like iOS but bigger fonts/icons will look even more toytown on a phone.

http://www.imore.com/more-5-inch-iphone
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:53 AM   #145
mabaker
macrumors 65816

first the members on here complained that Apple isn't competing by not releasing a bigger version of the iPhone and now they're seriously arguing against it. Preciousness!

Just like with the extended iPod line the iPhone line will evolve. Apple is not standing still.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:59 AM   #146
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Sorry but the android maps app is flat out better than the iOS version.
A lot of reviews think it is cleaner than Androids own version. I like it for street view, but the Nav now does not say street names in either Droid or iOS which it used to in Android which kinda misses the point. A vague "turn left up ahead" may work in the US - but is rubbish in the UK. That said Apple Maps is good here now (finally) and the navigation is great.
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:00 AM   #147
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Apple just switched to 16:9 for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

The next iPhone will be 16:9 as well.

And guess what... if you get pissed off and run over to Android... you'll find 16:9 there too!

The only decent phone that is not 16:9 is the Nexus 4.... but it's still 15:9

Sorry... the "tall" phones rule the roost
I'm talking about Note 2 width..
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:05 AM   #148
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaker View Post
Preciousness!
Don't think that means what you think it does!

----------

I can see why they might do this for market share, but do find the larger phones pointless - you do have to use 2 hands and they are not pocket friendly at all.

The only good thing of course is the battery can be massive.
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:05 AM   #149
ironsienna
macrumors regular

If this thing is going to replace the current production iPhones, Im officially done as a developer for Apple and move on with my life...
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:07 AM   #150
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post

I'm talking about Note 2 width..
The Note II is 1280x720... which is 16:9

In order to make an iPhone the same width as the Note II... and keep the current iPhone 16:9 aspect ratio... you have to increase the height as well.

That would be a 5.5" iPhone!

(BTW... I know what you're saying... but Apple just now got to 16:9.... they won't be changing it again anytime soon)
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion