Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zgotts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I've held strong with just my clunky ol' iPad 1, but it's time for an upgrade.

My biggest gripe about my ipad is that browsing the web is really slow (I only use my iPad for web browsing, Kindle, and the occasional YouTube video). Would I see a *notceable* upgrade in the Mini? I love the form factor, but if the speed isn't significantly better I may just go for the iPad 4.

Thanks for the input!

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I had an iPad 1 for three years, sold and bought an iPad 4...WAAAY FASTER, then I sold my iPad 4 for an iPad mini...still WAAAY FASTER! The iPad 4 and iPad mini feel almost identical when browsing the web, get the iPad mini, its awesome!

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I went from the ipad 1 to a mini. The mini blows it away in browsing speed.

You won't believe how big and clunky regular iPads are until you use the mini for a bit!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I went from the ipad 1 to a mini. The mini blows it away in browsing speed.

You won't believe how big and clunky regular iPads are until you use the mini for a bit!

Man, so this. After using an iPad mini exclusively since launch, my iPad 3 feels like it was made 5 years ago. It's so freakin' huge. :)

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Still got my iPad since 3 years, will up grade in 6 months when there's yet another iPad mini update , wonder how my much my iPad 1 is worth ?

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
I can confirm that, since ipad mini matches the ipad 2 speed, browsing is way faster and you won't notice any difference with ipad 3 and 4.

If gaming, of course you will notice improvement when using an ipad 4.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I can confirm that, since ipad mini matches the ipad 2 speed, browsing is way faster and you won't notice any difference with ipad 3 and 4.

What's funny is that my iPad2 loads theverge.com noticibly faster than my friend's new Mini. Regardless its way faster than an iPad1.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I have an an ipad 1, it is so laggy with the 5.0 software that it is just not fun or even ideal to use. I upgraded to an ipad4 yesterday and it just blows it out of the water. However my mum has an ipad 2 and the mini are the same spec wise I believe, and even with ipad 2 that thing still screams, ergo the mini will be way faster then the ipad 1st gen.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
What's funny is that my iPad2 loads theverge.com noticibly faster than my friend's new Mini. Regardless its way faster than an iPad1.

It's odd that your iPad 2 would be faster, since as pointed out they have the exact same specs. Is your friend using something other than Safari?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
256MB RAM + A4 can make for a bit of a clunky web experience, especially with the really dense page content, tons of javascript, images, audio/video streams, etc.

It's not terrible, but the experience really depends on the specific site.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I don't really think a test like that says anything about the hardware itself.

I just did the same thing between my iPhone 5 and my iPad Mini and the Mini loaded it up slightly quicker. The iPhone 5 should have blown it away.

The full site version of the verge is an extremely heavy site, and I bet if you did 100 refreshes on both iPad Mini and iPad 2 you'll likely find their average times to be identical.

zgotts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the input everybody. I went to the Apple Store today and snagged a mini. This thing is incredible!!! Major major upgrade over the 1 and for my uses/interests, a better choice than the 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.