Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
zgotts
macrumors newbie

Web browsing speed on Mini vs iPad 1?

I've held strong with just my clunky ol' iPad 1, but it's time for an upgrade.

My biggest gripe about my ipad is that browsing the web is really slow (I only use my iPad for web browsing, Kindle, and the occasional YouTube video). Would I see a *notceable* upgrade in the Mini? I love the form factor, but if the speed isn't significantly better I may just go for the iPad 4.

Thanks for the input!
zgotts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
flavr
macrumors 6502

I had an iPad 1 for three years, sold and bought an iPad 4...WAAAY FASTER, then I sold my iPad 4 for an iPad mini...still WAAAY FASTER! The iPad 4 and iPad mini feel almost identical when browsing the web, get the iPad mini, its awesome!
flavr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:58 PM   #3
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

I went from the ipad 1 to a mini. The mini blows it away in browsing speed.

You won't believe how big and clunky regular iPads are until you use the mini for a bit!
cruzmisl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
I went from the ipad 1 to a mini. The mini blows it away in browsing speed.

You won't believe how big and clunky regular iPads are until you use the mini for a bit!
Man, so this. After using an iPad mini exclusively since launch, my iPad 3 feels like it was made 5 years ago. It's so freakin' huge.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:16 AM   #5
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Still got my iPad since 3 years, will up grade in 6 months when there's yet another iPad mini update , wonder how my much my iPad 1 is worth ?
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Actarus
macrumors member

I can confirm that, since ipad mini matches the ipad 2 speed, browsing is way faster and you won't notice any difference with ipad 3 and 4.

If gaming, of course you will notice improvement when using an ipad 4.
Actarus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:45 AM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actarus View Post
I can confirm that, since ipad mini matches the ipad 2 speed, browsing is way faster and you won't notice any difference with ipad 3 and 4.
What's funny is that my iPad2 loads theverge.com noticibly faster than my friend's new Mini. Regardless its way faster than an iPad1.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

I have an an ipad 1, it is so laggy with the 5.0 software that it is just not fun or even ideal to use. I upgraded to an ipad4 yesterday and it just blows it out of the water. However my mum has an ipad 2 and the mini are the same spec wise I believe, and even with ipad 2 that thing still screams, ergo the mini will be way faster then the ipad 1st gen.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
I have an an ipad 1, it is so laggy with the 5.0 software that it is just not fun or even ideal to use.
While not really necessary since you got your iPad4, but you can use the jailbreak tools to downgrade your iPad1 to iOS4.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
What's funny is that my iPad2 loads theverge.com noticibly faster than my friend's new Mini. Regardless its way faster than an iPad1.
It's odd that your iPad 2 would be faster, since as pointed out they have the exact same specs. Is your friend using something other than Safari?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #11
D.T.
macrumors 68030

256MB RAM + A4 can make for a bit of a clunky web experience, especially with the really dense page content, tons of javascript, images, audio/video streams, etc.

It's not terrible, but the experience really depends on the specific site.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
It's odd that your iPad 2 would be faster, since as pointed out they have the exact same specs. Is your friend using something other than Safari?
Nope. Both on Safari on the same Wifi network. To be sure I cleared out the cache on both. Strange eh?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:20 PM   #13
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

I don't really think a test like that says anything about the hardware itself.

I just did the same thing between my iPhone 5 and my iPad Mini and the Mini loaded it up slightly quicker. The iPhone 5 should have blown it away.

The full site version of the verge is an extremely heavy site, and I bet if you did 100 refreshes on both iPad Mini and iPad 2 you'll likely find their average times to be identical.
cruzmisl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:51 PM   #14
zgotts
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input everybody. I went to the Apple Store today and snagged a mini. This thing is incredible!!! Major major upgrade over the 1 and for my uses/interests, a better choice than the 4.
zgotts is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad