Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvercircle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I have a mid 2010 MacPro 6 core and I'm thinking about replacing my LG display (1920x1080) with an Apple LED Cinema Display.
Dilemma is wait or not for an update. If I wait, I risk that there will only be a thunderbolt display and nog more DVI version.
I don't plan on replacing my MacPro in the near future because it is till a fine machine. I replaced the graphics card with a GTX 680 2Gb.
I want to replace my display to increase the resolution because I often use Xcode 4 and that is now all stuffed in one window (just like it is on Windows).
Also, working with two monitors isn't that easy anymore since I need glasses for reading, there is always one monitor too far for a sharp view.
Any suggestions?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I have a mid 2010 MacPro 6 core and I'm thinking about replacing my LG display (1920x1080) with an Apple LED Cinema Display.
Dilemma is wait or not for an update. If I wait, I risk that there will only be a thunderbolt display and nog more DVI version.
I don't plan on replacing my MacPro in the near future because it is till a fine machine. I replaced the graphics card with a GTX 680 2Gb.
I want to replace my display to increase the resolution because I often use Xcode 4 and that is now all stuffed in one window (just like it is on Windows).
Also, working with two monitors isn't that easy anymore since I need glasses for reading, there is always one monitor too far for a sharp view.
Any suggestions?

I have two of them with a Mac Pro and I do like them, but they do have some limitations. They are not height adjustable and only have the one input which I think is ridiculous for a monitor in that price range. The USB hub is nice and the built-in speakers, camera, and mic is nice. I feel it is overpriced, but it is a very nice screen. I works with all current Macintosh products, but limits you to one display unless you are using a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro with Retina Display with two Thunderbolt ports.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I doubt you will see any other interface besides thunderbolt in the new apple display. one of steve jobs things was that he wanted was when people were using a mac device it was known that it was a mac. not say a windows machine running a mac display. that was no interest to him at all to have people using it for other purposes. he was very adamant about keeping macs recognizable both hardware and through software. even when windows built in functionality to customize windows heavily osx has always retained the fact that when you look at osx software or an osx window you know its osx.

steve jobs never wanted mac to lose its identity. I just dont think apple will make it easier for people to use its display elsewhere.

thunderbolt has been coming to windows but i doubt they will add more ports to make it any easier for this to happen.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You could go for a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM instead, it has a DVI port, as well as DisplayPort for newer Macs (or if you ever upgrade your graphics in the Mac Pro to a card that has a (Mini) DisplayPort).
61Y1Ma1PdBL._AA1500_.jpg
81Bcbf9OIqL._AA1500_.jpg

silvercircle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
You could go for a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM instead, it has a DVI port, as well as DisplayPort for newer Macs (or if you ever upgrade your graphics in the Mac Pro to a card that has a (Mini) DisplayPort).
61Y1Ma1PdBL._AA1500_.jpg
81Bcbf9OIqL._AA1500_.jpg
Half the price and a better response time, indeed something to consider.
Or for the same price more pixels and a 30': Dell U3011.
But does it have the same sharp image as an Apple screen?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Half the price and a better response time, indeed something to consider.
Or for the same price more pixels and a 30': Dell U3011.
But does it have the same sharp image as an Apple screen?

Not sure how they quote a better response time - AFAIK all 27" Dells actually use the same LCD panel as the 27" ACD/iMacs.

silvercircle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
No more LED Cinema displays?

Available to ship is 2 to 3 weeks in the Belgium Store, 3 to 5 days in the US store.
Strange that both the Thunderbolt and LED Cinema display are not in stock in either country.

I also found an online shope where the message for the LED cinema display is: "No longer available"...

Dutch site

The end of the current models?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.