Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I'm waiting on the next gen AEBS. Does anyone have any idea on when it might be released? There hasn't really been much, if anything, about it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

I'm waiting on the next gen AEBS. Does anyone have any idea on when it might be released? There hasn't really been much, if anything, about it.

Probably around mid-year to coincide with new Haswell chipset based Mac portables, which hopefully will support the new 802.11ac wifi standard.

Not much point in Apple releasing a new 802.11ac router now since they have no client devices that support it. JMO

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Probably around mid-year to coincide with new Haswell chipset based Mac portables, which hopefully will support the new 802.11ac wifi standard.

Not much point in Apple releasing a new 802.11ac router now since they have no client devices that support it. JMO
That's a good point, thanks.

Ikonen

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Helsinki

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why doesn't Apple have any devices supporting 802.11ac?

Also, how much improvement can we expect in the new Airport Extreme? I have the 5th generation now and I am wondering if I would have any reason to buy.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why doesn't Apple have any devices supporting 802.11ac?

Also, how much improvement can we expect in the new Airport Extreme? I have the 5th generation now and I am wondering if I would have any reason to buy.

It's only a recent standard. I think it's just been approved (or something like that) so the next generation Macs should support the standard.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Here is a bit of background. It is a very new standard and actually still in "draft" form. Theoretically it could support up to 1 gigabit per second, so almost double the current 802.11n standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.