Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:21 AM   #1
stockcerts
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Week One - New iMac

My new iMac arrived this past Sunday! It's replacing a five year old iMac, so the changes in technology really stand out. I have the 27" with fusion drive. I also got the trackpad and I really like it! A bit of getting use to, but much more control than a mouse. The other thing worth mentioning is I used my Time Machine backup for data migration and that process couldn't have been simpler or gone any smoother. I don't see a single problem with my new iMac, but I'm also not going to put it under a microscope.

At some point I'll purchase some memory and do an upgrade, but after using it this past week I don't feel like there's a hurry. However, I did buy a four pack of Eneloop rechargeable batteries from Amazon.

Just thought I'd put my first week impressions out there as I've seen so many negative postings.

I hope you all love your new iMacs as much as I do!!
__________________
May the Schwartz be with you!
iPhone 5; 27" IMac 2.9GHz Quad-Core; 3rd Gen iPad
Analog Timex watch
stockcerts is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:56 AM   #2
trustever
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Good stuff mate, at least we have some one that does not moan all the time!
trustever is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:59 AM   #3
mikeorchard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
The only thing I've found is that the Magic Trackpad uses a hell of a lot more power than the keyboard. After 3 weeks, trackpad is at 59% versus keyboard at 100%.
mikeorchard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blighty
Congrats on a new nice machine.

I'm interested in what you think about the trackpad. I can see that it gives you more control because of gestures etc. How does it feel for more accurate work though?

I'm considering getting a trackpad, but am a bit on the fence at the moment as I've been a mouse user for so long.
MyNameIsDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:55 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeorchard View Post
The only thing I've found is that the Magic Trackpad uses a hell of a lot more power than the keyboard. After 3 weeks, trackpad is at 59% versus keyboard at 100%.
I use a Mobee Power Bar, which powers the Trackpad via USB.
http://www.mobeetechnology.com/the-power-bar.html

The constant changing and charging of batteries used to drive me silly.

The trackpad as an input device is fantastic -- loads of gestures and excellent control. I wouldn't go back to a mouse. (And I suspect that Apple will phase out the mouse in due course, favouring touch surfaces.)
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:56 AM   #6
stockcerts
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsDave View Post
Congrats on a new nice machine.

I'm interested in what you think about the trackpad. I can see that it gives you more control because of gestures etc. How does it feel for more accurate work though?

I'm considering getting a trackpad, but am a bit on the fence at the moment as I've been a mouse user for so long.
I've always been a mouse user myself, so it does take some time to master it. However, I love the swiping to go back on a web page as opposed to hitting the arrow, and expanding web pages as if you were on an iPad. I'm really happy I went with the trackpad. As for battery life, if it goes through batteries fast, that's OK as I have my rechargeable batteries ready to go!!
__________________
May the Schwartz be with you!
iPhone 5; 27" IMac 2.9GHz Quad-Core; 3rd Gen iPad
Analog Timex watch
stockcerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
PatrickCocoa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Just Do It. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsDave View Post
Congrats on a new nice machine.

I'm interested in what you think about the trackpad. I can see that it gives you more control because of gestures etc. How does it feel for more accurate work though?

I'm considering getting a trackpad, but am a bit on the fence at the moment as I've been a mouse user for so long.
The Apple trackpad is an absolute must when using Mountain Lion (and Lion). I had been a big mouse guy, like you, until about a year ago. But the trackpad gives an entirely new way to interact with the Mac. The two finger left-right swipes (next page), the three finger left-right swipes (next space), and the three finger up-down swipes (see all windows) are very powerful and I use them without thinking maybe hundreds of times each day.

I haven't automatically loved everything Apple has done with mice/trackpads in the past: I had tried the Apple mouse with the little dimple in it and stopped using after four or five months due to unreliability. I used the magic mouse with no scroll bar and stopped after four or five months due to inadvertant clicks and difficulty clicking both left and right simultaneously. I won't mention the hocky puck mouse, which I used for maybe a week and gave up on.
__________________
iMac 21.5", 3.06GHz, 4 GB, 2 TB HD.
iPod Touch 3G.
PatrickCocoa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
stockcerts
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
I'm still getting use to the trackpad, but I already love it!! I'm also new to having both wireless keyboard and mouse (trackpad), and it's so nice not having the wires crossing my desk!
__________________
May the Schwartz be with you!
iPhone 5; 27" IMac 2.9GHz Quad-Core; 3rd Gen iPad
Analog Timex watch
stockcerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:51 PM   #9
jtrainor56
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
I received my new iMac on 12/24 and love it. After working on PC's for 25 years I was surprised how quickly I got the hang of it, especially at my age. I ordered my iMac with the trackpad and mouse thinking I would have a hard time with the trackpad and figured I could fall back to the mouse.

I find the magic mouse awkward, and use the trackpad most of the time. I did take the Logitec wireless mouse that I had with my Windows laptop and use that for playing a few games on steam. I find it more accurate than the trackpad. I also use the Logitec with Lightroom when making adjustments to my photos but also use the trackpad.
__________________
2012 27" iMac: i7 3.4GHz: GTX 680 MX: 24 GB RAM; 3TB Fusion HD| Apple TV | iPad 16gb 1st Gen| iPhone 5c
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
jtrainor56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:55 PM   #10
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcerts View Post
My new iMac arrived this past Sunday! It's replacing a five year old iMac, so the changes in technology really stand out. I have the 27" with fusion drive. I also got the trackpad and I really like it! A bit of getting use to, but much more control than a mouse. The other thing worth mentioning is I used my Time Machine backup for data migration and that process couldn't have been simpler or gone any smoother. I don't see a single problem with my new iMac, but I'm also not going to put it under a microscope.

At some point I'll purchase some memory and do an upgrade, but after using it this past week I don't feel like there's a hurry. However, I did buy a four pack of Eneloop rechargeable batteries from Amazon.

Just thought I'd put my first week impressions out there as I've seen so many negative postings.

I hope you all love your new iMacs as much as I do!!
Awesome indeed ! with all the negative threads , makes you wonder if Apple should be in buisness ? Then I start to wonder if the forum is all about bashing the iMac. you know what they say , one happy customer tells one or two people, a unhappy customer will tell 10 or more . Happy Customers need to speak up ! I can't wait till Monday to become a Happy Customer !
__________________
Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back !
mushroomtip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:29 PM   #11
haddy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcerts View Post
I'm still getting use to the trackpad, but I already love it!! I'm also new to having both wireless keyboard and mouse (trackpad), and it's so nice not having the wires crossing my desk!
Well for what it's worth.....I have gone back to wired input devices. Used the bluetooth stuff [Magic Mouse, keyboard and trackpad) for the last three plus years. Sure the swipe gestures are cool but my machine i7 27" iMac Mountain Lion is a lot more stable and can I say Safari is snappier with the wired stuff And yes, I can live with the wires on my desk.
haddy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:01 PM   #12
stockcerts
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by haddy View Post
Well for what it's worth.....I have gone back to wired input devices. Used the bluetooth stuff [Magic Mouse, keyboard and trackpad) for the last three plus years. Sure the swipe gestures are cool but my machine i7 27" iMac Mountain Lion is a lot more stable and can I say Safari is snappier with the wired stuff And yes, I can live with the wires on my desk.
I am new to the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but I am not noticing any delays in performance. I'm always a big fan of change (not for change sake). The trackpad is so awesome, and I love the new iMac! I'm also glad I ordered the fusion drive!
__________________
May the Schwartz be with you!
iPhone 5; 27" IMac 2.9GHz Quad-Core; 3rd Gen iPad
Analog Timex watch
stockcerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haddy View Post
I have gone back to wired input devices... my machine ... is a lot more stable...
How so? I think in the 5 years I've been using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse I've had nary a problem with them. Certainly nothing that would affect the stability of my machine. How does it make your machine a lot more stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCocoa View Post
But the trackpad gives an entirely new way to interact with the Mac. The two finger left-right swipes (next page), the three finger left-right swipes (next space), and the three finger up-down swipes (see all windows) are very powerful and I use them without thinking maybe hundreds of times each day.
But you can do all those or something similar with the magic mouse. I use the next page swipe all the time on my mouse. Not saying the trackpad is bad. I actually want to get one so I can use my 27 from my bed. Now I use my mouse and it's a pain.

The perfect situation would be to have both. Stuff it... I'm going to order the trackpad now!!!
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:13 PM   #14
haddy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking monkey View Post
How so? I think in the 5 years I've been using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse I've had nary a problem with them. Certainly nothing that would affect the stability of my machine. How does it make your machine a lot more stable?
Well the iMac started to do weird things..flickering etc then finally all I could get was a grey screen. And as you may know this scenario is very panic enducing and anything that does this to me gets the chop!!
After plugging in a wire mouse everything back, better than normal. It was a failing Magic Mouse. So I chucked it and have gone all wired and things just seem to be much better. I have taught myself to use the wired mouse...it's actually very good. I got an extended keyboard as well to plug it into. So I guess it's a case of once bitten a million times shy
haddy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:15 PM   #15
stockcerts
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by haddy View Post
Well the iMac started to do weird things..flickering etc then finally all I could get was a grey screen. And as you may know this scenario is very panic enducing and anything that does this to me gets the chop!!
After plugging in a wire mouse everything back, better than normal. It was a failing Magic Mouse. So I chucked it and have gone all wired and things just seem to be much better. I have taught myself to use the wired mouse...it's actually very good. I got an extended keyboard as well to plug it into. So I guess it's a case of once bitten a million times shy
Just wondering if you've turned in your iPhone for a land-line..?
__________________
May the Schwartz be with you!
iPhone 5; 27" IMac 2.9GHz Quad-Core; 3rd Gen iPad
Analog Timex watch
stockcerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:39 PM   #16
beeinformed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcerts View Post
Just wondering if you've turned in your iPhone for a land-line..?
That's funny! I'm actually on the fence about whether to go with a wired keyboard/mouse setup vs.a wireless keyboard/mouse setup.

Although having two less wires on my desktop makes the wireless version setup a much more pleasurable experience for me!

Last edited by beeinformed; Feb 8, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:35 PM   #17
haddy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcerts View Post
Just wondering if you've turned in your iPhone for a land-line..?
Nah both work just fine.......but then again if one craps out....
haddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 week old 27" iMac woes DrewDaHilp1 iMac 28 Feb 19, 2013 05:30 PM
My iMac order has been processing for nearly a week now? lukeniknak iMac 3 Jan 17, 2013 04:27 PM
New iMac 21.5 this week? Compton1113 iMac 77 Nov 20, 2012 06:24 PM
Another week, another Tuesday, iMac? MorganJones iMac 31 Nov 19, 2012 07:40 AM
If there were a new iMac next week.... RobinHood5 iMac 11 Oct 16, 2012 05:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC