Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: which iphone would u buy??
iphone 5s 20 20.20%
iphone 6 79 79.80%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #26
SONiC5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
iPhone 6 with 4.5-5" screen and iPad mini design. Yes, please.

Throw in a better processor. Even better!
This!!
SONiC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 03:33 PM   #27
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

A problem with the iPhone numbering system with this rumor ...

Why would a phone with a bigger screen be designated a different generation iD (iPhone 6) from the iPhone 5S.

Does that mean next year the iPhone 5S is replaced by a bigger 5" screen and faster processor making it the iPhone 6S, and then the iPhone 7 has to jump above 5" to 5.5-6" ?? Then the cycle repeats ?

Surely if two phones have same hardware albeit different screens - they would both be designated iPhone 6 but with the larger having a suffix such as 'L' to designate the bigger screen.

Having one designated a different number insinuates its a generation above the other, and in a world of new products why would anyone want to opt for the lesser generation phone over the newer / greater generation... The poll results so far are testament to this. It would be a total marketing boob to release an iPhone 5S and a 6.

I predict rather we will see iPhone 6 and iPhone 6X (or similar suffix for the bigger model if indeed there is one)
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
1member1
macrumors 6502

this pool shows why there will never be iPhone 6 this year or iPhone + w/e you name it.
1member1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhotshot View Post
- A source told Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com that he has seen the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 at Apple's suppliers. Both models may be released in 2013, according to the website's microblog on Thursday evening.
- The source noted that the iPhone 5S resembles the iPhone 5, and the five-inch iPhone 6 is lighter and thinner.

i would prefer the iphone 6 (4.8 or 5 inch screen) just wish its true!!
I would prefer the 5 S. it's very important for me to be able to hold it in one hand. I also am very interested in it being lighter. Weight is important to me as well.
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:04 PM   #30
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonface View Post
I agree . I also read that if they decide to make a bigger iPhone they can use the same resolution as the 5 so developers doesnt have to modify their apps. Can't remember where I read it though.
Yea right, why the hell would they use the i5 resolution on a 5 inch phone? The PPI would be like below 260 which would be terrible
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:12 PM   #31
Demonface
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Yea right, why the hell would they use the i5 resolution on a 5 inch phone? The PPI would be like below 260 which would be terrible
Why you getting mad with me ? Thats what I read in the article .
Demonface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:19 PM   #32
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonface View Post
Why you getting mad with me ? Thats what I read in the article .
My bad im not mad at all, that wasnt my intention, i actually read that article too...but its highly illogical and would be extremely dumb if that was actually a real thought at Apple
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:29 PM   #33
unagimiyagi
macrumors 6502a

For those who favor a 5 inch screen, have you used one? I assume so, but how did the lack of one-handed usability not bother you? I too have used a 4.7" phone, thinking that bigger must be better, etc. But it became apparent very quickly that I use the iphone one-handed all the time, and I did not even know it. I realized that this matters to me alot more than I would have guessed. A 4.7" screen phone also felt really beefy in the pocket, despite its thinness.

With the 3.5" screen, I felt that videos were often too small to be comfortable. The 4" I feel is the best of both worlds, but if Apple could squeeze in a 4.3" or whatever into the same form factor as the iphone 5 by getting rid of excess bezel space or even the top and bottom space below the current screen, then fine. I just don't think that a phone that is physically bigger than the iphone 5 will be usable one-handed. What size that screen actually is matters less. If they can cram a 4.7" into the same physical phone as an iphone 5, then fine. But the iphone 5 is the first and last of the flagship phones that have a reasonably sized screen.

I'm completely fine if Apple wants to diversify their iphone line. It's inevitable. It would not kill them to have 2 screen sizes. As much as they want the iphone to remain a pure vision and what Apple thinks a phone should be, there are plenty of people who don't need to be told what to like and what a phone should be. Choice isn't bad, Apple. And listening to the market wouldn't be so bad, either. But Android's multitasking and clear emphasis on inter app communication is pulling ahead. They need to stop putting so many artificial barriers into iOS ( the sandboxing), and the lack of a filesystem, or at least one folder where you can put your documents and get to them from any app. It's really getting them into trouble. I went over to Android and the possibilities were endless, although their hardware kind of stinks.
unagimiyagi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #34
macMD
macrumors 6502

Is it possible that a second iphone model this year would be for the chinese market only or perhaps for china and other emerging markets where they see a lower cost phone as a way to gain more market dominance?

So far China Mobile the #1 global wireless carrier does not have it, they use a completely different wireless technology than anyone else and why wouldn't Apple want to dominate that market. After all Apple is so far behind other brands in China it would make financial sense.
macMD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:34 AM   #35
sjhotshot
macrumors newbie

apple please take note of

"They need to stop putting so many artificial barriers into iOS ( the sandboxing), and the lack of a filesystem, or at least one folder where you can put your documents and get to them from any app. It's really getting them into trouble. I went over to Android and the possibilities were endless, although their hardware kind of stinks."

so true!!

i wish they would come up with a folder where you put all your stuff and the apps can access it!! this would really help!!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:00 AM   #36
MatthaiosSaraj
macrumors member

iPhone 6 or maybe 5s if they add features that would tempt me into buying it. iPhone 6 with larger screen (but not like note 2, that's not a phone any more), without home button, more gestures (swiping between tabs in safari, multi task bar opened like on iPad, ...) and much more os x like iOS (in terms of possibilities) would be instant must have for me
MatthaiosSaraj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:46 AM   #37
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

I'd personally buy the one we know nothing about yet.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:12 PM   #38
noncom23
macrumors newbie

I would go for a bigger screen if I
could use it in place if an iPad mini
at work or otherwise. I have not
used a large screen phone as yet.
noncom23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:49 PM   #39
Browns2212
macrumors regular

I think a 5 inch screen would be called the: iPhone5".

Or maybe the iPhoneV

Honestly, if they ever do a 5" iPhone, I would rather they invest in a larger battery and best processor possible and not worry SO much about how thin or light it is. Granted I don't want a brick either, but I just don't see how they could go any lighter or thinner than the 5.

My contract isn't up until Oct of 2014 so I will see what's available then and get something that suits my needs at the time.

Currently love my i5.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:10 PM   #40
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I'd have to evaluate the quality & display size. If they've assigned their best engineers to the iWatch project, the iPhone becomes a secondary placeholder.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:17 PM   #41
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

from the past, it seems like the main line is more about hardware and design change and the S line is about good internal changes.
The 3G was a full resdesign, but the insides was gimped for the app store - lots of apps ran sluggish on it and it couldnt even support multitasking
The 4 was a great full redesign but the insides was gimped. it was basically a turbo charged 3GS. The graphics processor was held back by the retina display. sluggish performance even on iOS 5 (only 1 software update later)
The 4s had an incredible upgrade - 2x cpu and 7x gpu.
the iPhone 5, full redesign, however, performance still comparable to the 4s. 2x of fast is still just fast, not really perceptible.

My money's on the 5S
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:23 PM   #42
ericrwalker
Banned

It depends, which one has NFC?
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:33 PM   #43
SR45
Banned

5s only
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:43 PM   #44
kevjen888
macrumors regular

the newer is always better, well in most cases. if i'm in the market, i would only wait on the 6 if it comes with bigger screen, otherwise i'd get the 5S
kevjen888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:45 PM   #45
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjen888 View Post
the newer is always better, well in most cases. if i'm in the market, i would only wait on the 6 if it comes with bigger screen, otherwise i'd get the 5S

Ummm, sounds like they are saying they are both going to be released at the same time or close to the same time. If that were the case the 5S and the 6 would both be the same age.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #46
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

Iphone 6
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:02 PM   #47
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

I'd go with the 5S. 4.3" is the absolute biggest I'm willing to go with a smartphone screen if I am given the choice.
Agent-P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #48
miss.manson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhotshot View Post
"They need to stop putting so many artificial barriers into iOS ( the sandboxing), and the lack of a filesystem, or at least one folder where you can put your documents and get to them from any app. It's really getting them into trouble. I went over to Android and the possibilities were endless, although their hardware kind of stinks."

so true!!

i wish they would come up with a folder where you put all your stuff and the apps can access it!! this would really help!!
I disagree. I feel that the current system on iOS is more organized and easier. Simplicity is what makes iOS so great, IMHO.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:50 PM   #49
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Maybe the 6, not bothering with the S models anymore, seems like a waste of money just to have the newest model every year.

If the 6 is not a killer phone with at least a 4/5" display and major iOS updates I might just be done with the iPhone after 5 loyal years so far, and owning every model except the first I had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and I have to say I am not impressed with the 5 at all, most trouble I have ever had with a phone.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:01 PM   #50
TyPod
macrumors 68000

the iPhone 6, but hopefully that isn't getting released anytime even NEAR soon.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone