Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miniraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
First I tried Without downgrading using Parallels 8 Virtualization..

I tried "Snow Leopard Server Disc" with Parallels 8.. no luck,
I tried "Modified Snow Leopard Disc" with Parallels 8.. no luck..
This is the Stuck screen error I'm getting from parallels 8 with both Server Cd And Normal Snow Leopard Osx.
http://imgur.com/lV6wgY5
Any way to downgrade from Mountain lion 10.8.2 to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

I need Snow Leopard Osx for Freehand Mx 11 Software.. :)

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Bearliners

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Berkshire
Hey welcome to the club

I did the absurd mistake to update my OS with Mountain Lion.. and i swear, that day, I should have chopped my head off for being soo daft .
What a disaster.
My Macbook pro gets hot, is slow like if it was running on windows Millenium, some of my apps are non responsive, my music editing [Korg software for synthesizer] program is non responsive, my screen got pixelated when I browse sites such as Fickr or when i try to access my work roster

in a word .. it s a nightmare..

I have the Snow Leopard disk at home., and even with that .. I just can t manage to do a fresh install and get rid off that piece of junk named Mountain Lion..

if you can find a miracle way to do so.. pleeaaaaaaase post it. You d make my day

friendly regards

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hey welcome to the club

I did the absurd mistake to update my OS with Mountain Lion.. and i swear, that day, I should have chopped my head off for being soo daft .
What a disaster.
My Macbook pro gets hot, is slow like if it was running on windows Millenium, some of my apps are non responsive, my music editing [Korg software for synthesizer] program is non responsive, my screen got pixelated when I browse sites such as Fickr or when i try to access my work roster

in a word .. it s a nightmare..

I have the Snow Leopard disk at home., and even with that .. I just can t manage to do a fresh install and get rid off that piece of junk named Mountain Lion..

if you can find a miracle way to do so.. pleeaaaaaaase post it. You d make my day

friendly regards

You cannot even to a clean install?

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

Since you probably did not backup before the upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, do a backup now before doing a clean install in order to preserve your data.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
You cannot even to a clean install?

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

Since you probably did not backup before the upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, do a backup now before doing a clean install in order to preserve your data.

I wouldn't take any of what that guy you replied to, too seriously, especially since he just registered this month. People sometimes have an agenda or they didn't prepare their system properly for an OS upgrade. Firstly ML has been a great OS, very stable and secure. If there's any issues with ML, they are very minor. You can check the other threads if you need reassurance.

@OP, Unfortunately if you have a more recent Mac you can't downgrade to Snow Leopard due to drivers that it lacks for the later models of Mac. That person you replied to has a Snow Leopard Mac and anyone with that model of Mac can easily downgrade back to Snow Leopard easily by way of a reformat. Any Mac can be reinstalled back to the OS that it came with.
As I mentioned earlier, you can't install SL so your best bet is either find cheaper alternatives to the software you need or upgrade to the latest versions that work with ML.

Last edited:

miniraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
@OP, Unfortunately if you have a more recent Mac you can't downgrade to Snow Leopard due to drivers that it lacks for the later models of Mac[/QUOTE]

Yea. my imac is late 2012, its not possible to downgrade (clean/fresh format /install) from mountain lion to snow leopard. If there is some method please share but I doubt it.

I think I'm just going to install windows into parallels 8 and use windows version of freehand mx. Thats the only way I can think of :)
Thanks for your help.

Bearliners

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Berkshire
Henry why are you getting personnal against me?
because i m a newcomer or because i don t appreciate OS Mountain Lion as much as you do ??

ML may be a fab OS, for some.. it is simply NOT a fab OS for me.. Sorry to go against the trend ..

i shall try again the fresh install following the help and suggestion from Simaladimbamba..[thanks so much my friend.. fingers crossed]..
thank for you help.. i shall indeed let you know if it worked or not..
oh btw.. i have made some back ups of my files.. music, pics and movies.. just in case.. got to transfer as well, intego antivirus X6, Word, cleanmyMac, and cross my fingers to get my Mac back to its amazing standard..

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
intego antivirus X6

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

cleanmyMac
CleanMyMac cleaned too much
Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Henry why are you getting personnal against me?
because i m a newcomer or because i don t appreciate OS Mountain Lion as much as you do ??

ML may be a fab OS, for some.. it is simply NOT a fab OS for me.. Sorry to go against the trend ..

i shall try again the fresh install following the help and suggestion from Simaladimbamba..[thanks so much my friend.. fingers crossed]..
thank for you help.. i shall indeed let you know if it worked or not..
oh btw.. i have made some back ups of my files.. music, pics and movies.. just in case.. got to transfer as well, intego antivirus X6, Word, cleanmyMac, and cross my fingers to get my Mac back to its amazing standard..

I almost didn't respond but when you said I was getting personal, Nope. I never get personal with people here. I just state the obvious. Of course I could be wrong, but I have a right to state my observations.

Your very first post from another thread stated almost the same thing you stated here. You were obviously sorry that you upgraded to Mountain Lion. You trashed it immensely. You compared it Windows Millennium. You called it a piece of junk. The OP didn't start this thread to trash ML, he wanted to downgrade to SL because there was a piece of software that he had that ran only on SL.

From your first post you didn't seem to come here for any help, in fact you stated on your first post that you ended up buying a PC since you couldn't deal with ML and sang the praises of Windows 7. Couple that with the part when you said you had the SL disk and found no possible way to install it, even though your Macbook was perfectly capable. Then you said you "almost" went to the Apple store to have them install it, but you didn't. They would've helped you. Doesn't seem like you're looking for help. You could've also installed Windows 7 on your Macbook, which you now say is on Ebay.

I never said that your post wasn't true. I'm sure you were having problems but your posts seemed very agenda-ish. Please don't tell me I was picking your posts apart, I was only answering your question.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
OP: Since you already have a copy of Snow Leopard Server, it should install into Parallels 8 like a hot knife through butter!

Here is Freeware running on my solution for Snow Leopard client (with Rosetta) installed into Parallels:

I do not know why you are having problems with either solution; although from viewing your attached screenshot, I suspect you are not using original Apple Install DVDs for either Snow Leopard Server or Snow Leopard. My article tells you how to purchase Snow Leopard from Apple for $19.99 and recent eBay sales of Snow Leopard Server have been as low as $51.

[click on image to enlarge]

Attachments

• Aldus Freehand.png
    Aldus Freehand.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 287
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.