Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Wife wants to sell her AR-15

With prices surging, she keeps looking at the prices they are going for and a co-worker of her's just offered her $4200 for it and all the accessories. He's a guy and doesn't care that it's a pink gun. We probably have $12 or 1300 into it with all the mags, scope, light and all that. I told her she can't sell any of the .223 ammo with it because that is impossible to find at the moment.

I suggested she should hold off and see where the ban goes because I believe prices are only going to increase more and if the ban happens it may turn into a very valuable weapon. She said she has had her fun with it and has made money on it. So we'll see what she does. She wants a better, smaller frame handgun for concealed carry. She likes her Sig but says it's too heavy for everyday.

Which brings me to another thought. With all the talks of bans, weapons sales are at an all time high. You can't find these things. Guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. Used prices have goon through the roof. Even if the ban happens, in the last couple months the number of weapons put out there is staggering. I have bought ammo for my weapons anywhere I can find it. I don't currently need it, but I don't know if i'll be able to get it when I do want it. So the talks of bans have actually increased stockpiles of weapons and ammo in the public. I had to purchase another ammo safe to keep it locked up.

This must be the economic stimulus Obama was talking about. I have A LOT of 7.62 NATO ammo that I have been selling. I haven't had a weapon that shoots 7.62 in many years. I box that sold new for $3.99 (target loads) is now selling for $50+. Not my price, it's what the buyer is offering. Hollow or soft point hunting loads are even more. A couple more boxes and i'll get my hot tub.

I have said many times I am for stricter checks in a timely manor and ongoing evaluations but not a supporter of outright bans.

The discussion...In reality, removed from emotion, what good, at this point in time would a ban on any weapon that has been legal to purchase for years do?
  • It won't remove those weapons from the public.
  • It won't stop private party sales.
  • It won't reduce the numbers in public significantly without expensive buy back programs.
  • It won't stop a criminal from getting one and using it.
  • It won't stop a mental case from taking an unsecured weapon and killing people.
I do not see what the benefit will be save for a symbolic gesture to tell people that those weapons are dangerous. Well duh.

Guns are not like coffee makers and computers. They are not throw away items. If they break, they get fixed. The bans do not cover repair parts and even if it did, in this day and age the parts could be ordered from a different country. A ban will not reduce the current number of weapons in a tangible way. Even if you stopped ALL new sales, a hundred years from now there would still be guns, and they would still shoot.

Last edited by MuddyPaws1; Feb 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
With prices surging, she keeps looking at the prices they are going for and a co-worker of her's just offered her $4200 for it and all the accessories. He's a guy and doesn't care that it's a pink gun. We probably have $12 or 1300 into it with all the mags, scope, light and all that. I told her she can't sell any of the .223 ammo with it because that is impossible to find at the moment.

I suggested she should hold off and see where the ban goes because I believe prices are only going to increase more and if the ban happens it may turn into a very valuable weapon. She said she has had her fun with it and has made money on it. So we'll see what she does. She wants a better, smaller frame handgun for concealed carry. She likes her Sig but says it's too heavy for everyday.

Which brings me to another thought. With all the talks of bans, weapons sales are at an all time high. You can't find these things. Guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. Used prices have goon through the roof. Even if the ban happens, in the last couple months the number of weapons put out there is staggering. I have bought ammo for my weapons anywhere I can find it. I don't currently need it, but I don't know if i'll be able to get it when I do want it. So the talks of bans have actually increased stockpiles of weapons and ammo in the public. I had to purchase another ammo safe to keep it locked up.

This must be the economic stimulus Obama was talking about. I have A LOT of 7.62 NATO ammo that I have been selling. I haven't had a weapon that shoots 7.62 in many years. I box that sold new for $3.99 (target loads) is now selling for $50+. Not my price, it's what the buyer is offering. Hollow or soft point hunting loads are even more. A couple more boxes and i'll get my hot tub.

I have said many times I am for stricter checks in a timely manor and ongoing evaluations but not a supporter of outright bans.

The discussion...In reality, removed from emotion, what good, at this point in time would a ban on any weapon that has been legal to purchase for years do?
  • It won't remove those weapons from the public.
  • It won't stop private party sales.
  • It won't reduce the numbers in public significantly without expensive buy back programs.
  • It won't stop a criminal from getting one and using it.
  • It won't stop a mental case from taking an unsecured weapon and killing people.
I do not see what the benefit will be save for a symbolic gesture to tell people that those weapons are dangerous. Well duh.

Guns are not like coffee makers and computers. They are not throw away items. If they break, they get fixed. The bans do not cover repair parts and even if it did, in this day and age the parts could be ordered from a different country. A ban will not reduce the current number of weapons in a tangible way. Even if you stopped ALL new sales, a hundred years from now there would still be guns, and they would still shoot.
Washington DC is using the ban of the so called "assault weapons" as a mere scapegoat to shut people up... nothing more, nothing less
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Washington DC is using the ban of the so called "assault weapons" as a mere scapegoat to shut people up... nothing more, nothing less
There was more in the proposed legislation than just bans. And it's a shame everyone is so focused on the "ban" portion of it that the rest has been ignored.

The most important aspects that will lead to change, I believe, will be increasing and bettering healthcare for our mentally ill and education for new and existing gun owners. Let's eliminate irresponsible gun ownership - even if we have to penalize and "take away" the rights of those who have been shown to be irresponsible. We also have to make sure that people who need mental health treatment aren't just given drugs and sent back into the world. Our healthcare system sucks right now.

Will banning one specific type of gun change anything? Nope. But hopefully how we deal with things as a nation will.

Last edited by Moyank24; Feb 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Moyank24 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
I know you think you are being funny. Just remember that what started this discussion was 20 dead children in Newtown.

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

The frenzy of buying is a direct result of gunners panicking over the prospect of a ban in the wake of the Newton shooting. If that shooter hadn't done his thing, prices wouldn't have gone through the roof.

I say take advantage of the panic and sell while the prices are high.

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #6
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Maybe you guys don't realize it, but, in any given year, 25% of the people around you will experience a mental health problem of some kind, and 10% of the people around you will have a well-defined diagnosable mental illness:

http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health...and_statistics

A lot of those people have guns. Things happen all the time. Here's another one:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Two-d...157113255.html

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Removed quotes
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Maybe you guys don't realize it, but, in any given year, 25% of the people around you will experience a mental health problem of some kind, and 10% of the people around you will have a well-defined diagnosable mental illness:

http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health...and_statistics

A lot of those people have guns. Things happen all the time. Here's another one:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Two-d...157113255.html
Your point...

Fine, ban all guns from consumers.. just throw our right to bare arm in the trash.

Will that stop a crazy person from starting a mass murder. Anything can be used as a weapon. If they can't get a gun, I'm sure a kitchen knife would suite there needs... I guess we are gonna need a permit for those too right

How bout we fix the problem at the source.. the crazy ass people with their intent to start mass murder based off their mental illness

But look at the Government POV... whats more cheaper, banning guns or tacking the mental health problem...

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Updated quote
Muscle Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:

But look at the Government POV... whats more cheaper, banning guns or tacking the mental health problem...
I hate to be a broken record - but better mental health treatment is covered in the proposed legislation. You know it's not just about banning guns, right? If people would stop ignoring all of the other stuff in the legislation we may be able to fix some things or, at the very least have a more intelligent discussion.

And it's not just the government that's cheap....
Moyank24 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:54 AM   #9
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Will that stop a crazy person from starting a mass murder. Anything can be used as a weapon. If they can't get a gun, I'm sure a kitchen knife would suite there needs... I guess we are gonna need a permit for those too right
Stupid and pointless comparison. No way in hell a knife can inflict mass damage in a short period of time like a gun can. You can fight back against a knife. You can't against a gun.

Quote:
How bout we fix the problem at the source.. the crazy ass people with their intent to start mass murder based off their mental illness
There are millions of "mentally ill" people live every day without going out and killing people. You just throw out that blanket term there without even thinking about it. Are we talking about people with paranoid schitzophrenia? Something more severe? Or just something like simple depression?

The source of the problem still remains the ridiculous amount of guns on the streets in this country. It's like a damn war zone.

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Updated quote
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I hate to be a broken record - but better mental health treatment is covered in the proposed legislation. You know it's not just about banning guns, right? If people would stop ignorning all of the other stuff in the legislation we may be able to fix some things or, at the very least have a more intelligent discussion.

And it's not just the government that's cheap....
Your right.. That's due to my ignorance.. I haven't read any of them yet. Both your post have valid points.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Obama, and King George are best gun salesman ever. Nows a good time time for private sales at guns shows where you can undercut licensed dealers and still double your money.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

So you would so called ban them?

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Muscle Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
So you would so called ban them?
No but I'd eliminate your right to sell the thing without going through a licensed dealer so the buyer can get screened and have a background check so it doesn't end up in the hands of someone who shouldn't have it.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:05 PM   #14
eric/

wow idk what's going on here, but as to the OP

I'd hang on to it and see if they get banned, unless you're desperate for money.

how much are 30 round clips going for now?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:05 PM   #15
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Your point...

Fine, ban all guns from consumers.. just throw our right to bare arm in the trash.

One would think that a responsible gun owner would know what laws have been proposed and what EOs Obama signed. Sadly, all we get is the ban guns mantra.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:06 PM   #16
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Probably has something to do with the fact that this psycho used an AR-15 legally purchased and owned by his mother to kill this bunch of kids.
I thought he left his "Assault Weapon" in the car and did not actually do any shooting with it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Not even the Zombie Apocalypse could have sold as many guns in such a short amount of time.

I'd say Obama has been VERY good to the gun industry. All of my friends have accelerated their gun buying. It's incredible how many guns are being sold in America right now....absolutely breathtaking.

Guess our Government forgot what happened with prohibition. You can't tell Americans you're taking anything from them.

We're not Athens here....we're Sparta. We like fighting.

BTW I'd sell the AR for a nice profit. This stuff will all blow over and prices will come back down. Expect a LOT of lawsuits regarding any attacks on the 2nd Amendment.
nuckinfutz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #18
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
I thought he left his "Assault Weapon" in the car and did not actually do any shooting with it.
Nope, you might want to check your facts, the Bushmaster XM15 was the gun that killed the kids.

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 8, 2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Removed negative generalization
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #19
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Just another myth invented by the pro-gun side.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:30 PM   #20
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Just another myth invented by the pro-gun side.
I stopped reading all the news reports as there was so much information floating around and different stations were reporting different things. I remember reading on one of the news sites that the rifle was in the car, hence the reason i asked above.

I just did a search and it appears the shotgun was left in the car and not the rifle.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:56 PM   #21
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
I stopped reading all the news reports as there was so much information floating around and different stations were reporting different things. I remember reading on one of the news sites that the rifle was in the car, hence the reason i asked above.

I just did a search and it appears the shotgun was left in the car and not the rifle.
Yeah, this is the problem with our news media now and the report first and verify the report after attitude. Journalists used to wait for confirmation (even double confirmation) before reporting things like this.

From the wikipedia:
"A large quantity of unused ammunition was recovered inside the school, along with three semi-automatic firearms found with Lanza: a .223-caliber Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle, a 10mm Glock handgun and a 9mm SIG Sauer P226 handgun."

Most of the reports indicate that the XM15 was the gun used throughout, including shooting out the door to gain access to the school.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:56 PM   #22
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Not even the Zombie Apocalypse could have sold as many guns in such a short amount of time.

I'd say Obama has been VERY good to the gun industry. All of my friends have accelerated their gun buying. It's incredible how many guns are being sold in America right now....absolutely breathtaking.

Guess our Government forgot what happened with prohibition. You can't tell Americans you're taking anything from them.

We're not Athens here....we're Sparta. We like fighting.
You mean they are frightened sheep.

Please sparta, as if buying a gun is the same as phalanx warfare

and you dont have a clue about athens thinking they did like to fight.
k995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:27 PM   #23
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
I'd say Obama has been VERY good to the gun industry.
IMO it would be more accurate to say that "People's fear of Obama has been..." The extent of Obama's actions so far has been things like sending doctors letters reminding them they are not prohibited from asking about guns at home. Oh, the horror.
elistan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:39 PM   #24
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Your point...

Sounds good to me. Where do I sign?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:41 PM   #25
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Your point...

Are you suggesting no one be allowed to wear t-shirts?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues