Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:31 AM   #76
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Well it looks less scary, maybe people will quit being irrationally afraid
They should look scary and toy guns should look like, well...toys. Start blurring the line and that's when some cop shoots some kid who is just playing with a realistic looking gun.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:33 AM   #77
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
They should look scary and toy guns should look like, well...toys. Start blurring the line and that's when some cop shoots some kid who is just playing with a realistic looking gun.
Maybe the problem is cops shooting people?

And do you want to start regulating what people can do to their own property now?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:45 AM   #78
AnimaLeo
macrumors 6502

hahahaha you crazy Americans and your guns. I doubt you'll have to wait very long before another school shooting.
AnimaLeo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:05 AM   #79
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I know you think you are being funny. Just remember that what started this discussion was 20 dead children in Newtown. Get a life.
Funny? There is nothing funny about this at all. There is a nation wide ammo shortage...police are even having trouble getting ammo...and guns are being sold at a rate that has never been seen. Prices are through the roof and people are still buying. Fear about what our government will do is at an all time high. I have been on this earth for a long time...I would imagine longer than most of the young idealists on this web site and I have never seen an ammo shortage like this. You can't even find .22 bullets. None. We used to get them in bricks of 1000 or jugs of 500.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
There was more in the proposed legislation than just bans. And it's a shame everyone is so focused on the "ban" portion of it that the rest has been ignored.

The most important aspects that will lead to change, I believe, will be increasing and bettering healthcare for our mentally ill and education for new and existing gun owners. Let's eliminate irresponsible gun ownership - even if we have to penalize and "take away" the rights of those who have been shown to be irresponsible. We also have to make sure that people who need mental health treatment aren't just given drugs and sent back into the world. Our healthcare system sucks right now.

Will banning one specific type of gun change anything? Nope. But hopefully how we deal with things as a nation will.
Very true. They need to drop the ban talks and concentrate on the mental health issues and education.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
This is PRSI. It is reasonable to suppose that the intent of the post (notice any smilies?) was PRSI. If this is not a PRSI posting, maybe you should take it to an NRA board.
PRSI? Pay-Related Social Insurance?

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Removed trolling
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:06 AM   #80
stridemat

MOD NOTE

Open. Please ensure the Rules for Appropriate Debate are followed and the bickering stops.

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #81
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Maybe the problem is cops shooting people?

And do you want to start regulating what people can do to their own property now?
Maybe there is more than one problem and anything we can do to prevent kids from getting shot is a good thing. And when did we ever NOT regulate what people can do to their property. Some towns regulate what you can put on your lawn. That's ok but hands off my guns!?!?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:50 AM   #82
eric/

Quote:
Maybe there is more than one problem and anything we can do to prevent kids from getting shot is a good thing. And when did we ever NOT regulate what people can do to their property. Some towns regulate what you can put on your lawn. That's ok but hands off my guns!?!?
When did I say that was ok?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:56 AM   #83
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
When did I say that was ok?
I don't see anybody going nuts over the rest of the regulations of their property but when it comes to guns, they go ape ****. The it's ok is for all of those Hippocrates.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 AM   #84
eric/

Quote:
I don't see anybody going nuts over the rest of the regulations of their property but when it comes to guns, they go ape ****. The it's ok is for all of those Hippocrates.
But it's not like you can't live somewhere else without those restrictions. And what kind of stuff is banned from your property?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 AM   #85
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
The discussion...In reality, removed from emotion, what good, at this point in time would a ban on any weapon that has been legal to purchase for years do?
The only realistic expectation would be that over time—IMO, generations—you would slowly reduce the number of guns in circulation and correspondingly the number of firearm-related deaths.

Again, I wouldn't ban firearms. I would limit their capability.

But because of the conditions we've created in this country, no limit or stricter background check or mental health test will result in any immediate or significant changes. We will have to endure many years of shootings with the hope that eventually those numbers can be gradually reduced.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:07 AM   #86
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The only realistic expectation would be that over time—IMO, generations—you would slowly reduce the number of guns in circulation and correspondingly the number of firearm-related deaths.

Again, I wouldn't ban firearms. I would limit their capability.

But because of the conditions we've created in this country, no limit or stricter background check or mental health test will result in any immediate or significant changes. We will have to endure many years of shootings with the hope that eventually those numbers can be gradually reduced.
But you also don't have any proof that reducing capacity would achieve that either.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:12 AM   #87
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
...... a better start would be national database registration for all those prescribed any psychotropic drug and banning firearm sale/possession. A simple checkmark on a self-filled out form with no way to check or relying on "medical" determination of a dangerous individual is unsatisfactory.

..... but then liberals would go ape ****.

Last edited by TPadden; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
TPadden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:16 AM   #88
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
No, it does not mean that, or maybe I phrased that incorrectly. Lets just say it STILL may happen at the federal level but it is going to take longer and be more difficult than I thought it was.

There has NEVER been a panic the likes of which is going on now......
panic is certainly a good word for it.....fear overriding reason and logical thinking;

Quote:
Panic is a sudden sensation of fear which is so strong as to dominate or prevent reason and logical thinking, replacing it with overwhelming feelings of anxiety and frantic agitation consistent with an animalistic fight-or-flight reaction. Panic may occur singularly in individuals or manifest suddenly in large groups as mass panic (closely related to herd behavior).

The word panic derives from the Greek πανικός, "pertaining to shepherd god Pan", who took amusement from frightening herds of goats and sheep into sudden bursts of uncontrollable fear.
....... and as you pointed out, prices are dropping now that the peak of the panic is over
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:28 AM   #89
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
But it's not like you can't live somewhere else without those restrictions. And what kind of stuff is banned from your property?
I can't think of anyplace you can move to in the USA outside of a shack in the mountains that you can be free from any regulation on anything you own. My property? We don't have any bans that I am aware of but they do regulate things like not mowing your lawn or having a mess outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
...... a better start would be national database registration for all those prescribed any psychotropic drug and banning firearm sale/possession. A simple checkmark on a self-filled out form with no way to check or relying on "medical" determination of a dangerous individual is unsatisfactory.

..... but then liberals would go ape ****.
Why can't we do both? And I'm pretty liberal and I wouldn't go bs.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:40 AM   #90
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
We agree !

----------

Quote:
I can't think of anyplace you can move to in the USA outside of a shack in the mountains that you can be free from any regulation on anything you own. ........
Our county in Missouri is one of the last with no building codes, no business licensing, no regulations. When a neighbor went to the courthouse and asked what he needed to dam his spring fed creek to build a lake he was told "we don't rent bull dozers".

Not many shacks - our home -

TPadden is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:57 AM   #91
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
We agree !

----------

Our county in Missouri is one of the last with no building codes, no business licensing, no regulations. When a neighbor went to the courthouse and asked what he needed to dam his spring fed creek to build a lake he was told "we don't rent bull dozers".

Not many shacks - our home -

Thanks to the lack of building regs I bet most homes cost an arm and a leg to heat...

And I bet you have more fire deaths than average...

Unless what you actually mean is planning permission - in which case I'm sure you'd like a 20 storey block of flats or a landfill site next door.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:00 PM   #92
eric/

Quote:
I can't think of anyplace you can move to in the USA outside of a shack in the mountains that you can be free from any regulation on anything you own. My property? We don't have any bans that I am aware of but they do regulate things like not mowing your lawn or having a mess outside.

Perhaps. But you could avoid certain restrictions by relocating or just not moving there in the first place. You could certainly find somewhere to live where you don't have to mow your lawn.

And that's different, because there are people seeking to ban something completely from all locations, all the time.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM   #93
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Thanks to the lack of building regs I bet most homes cost an arm and a leg to heat...
Wrong; ours is gas furnace and wood stove. Much cheaper to heat in winter than our electric Florida home. Poor people burn (free) wood in the country and are actually smart enough to start a fire without burning their house down. . City folk sure have a disparaging view of people that don't live in a city.

The Missouri/ Arkansas border has milder weather than most people think.

...... back on topic: I can also shoot at anything I want to from my deck; it's only if I commit a crime that it's a problem .

Last edited by TPadden; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
TPadden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:24 PM   #94
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Wrong; ours is gas furnace and wood stove. Much cheaper to heat in winter than our electric Florida home. Poor people burn (free) wood in the country and are actually smart enough to start a fire without burning their house down. . City folk sure have a disparaging view of people that don't live in a city.

The Missouri/ Arkansas border has milder weather than most people think.

...... back on topic: I can also shoot at anything I want to from my deck; it's only if I commit a crime that it's a problem .
I don't think you understand my point. Good insulation keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer regardless of what fuel you use to heat your home - and it means you use less - which is more efficient - and thus cheaper.

Building regs also mean your house is worth more when you sell it - as you can be sure it has been constructed to a reasonable standard - it should also reduce your buildings insurance costs as the risks are lower.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:25 PM   #95
eric/

Quote:
I don't think you understand my point. Good insulation keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer regardless of what fuel you use to heat your home - and it means you use less - which is more efficient...
And people building those homes know that, and opt for such insulation
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:26 PM   #96
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
And people building those homes know that, and opt for such insulation
Why would a builder do that? Insulation isn't free.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:27 PM   #97
eric/

Quote:
Why would a builder do that?
Um, what? Why wouldn't they? It's a selling point, firstly, and if you're building a new home it's something that's discussed with the buyer.

Here in the states we're getting into high gear on energy efficiency and saving money by buying such appliances and building materials.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:29 PM   #98
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Um, what? Why wouldn't they? It's a selling point, firstly, and if you're building a new home it's something that's discussed with the buyer.
How are you going to find out how much the house costs to heat without living in it? And what about for houses for rent?

Quote:
Here in the states we're getting into high gear on energy efficiency and saving money by buying such appliances and building materials.
20 years after Europe did...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:31 PM   #99
eric/

Quote:
What about for houses for rent?
What about them? What exactly is your point here? What are you trying to prove?

Even if you built a home or apartment complex to rent out, you still would want such insulation.

Quote:
20 years after Europe did...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:40 PM   #100
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
What about them? What exactly is your point here? What are you trying to prove?

Even if you built a home or apartment complex to rent out, you still would want such insulation.
Why does the landlord care? The landlord doesn't pay the heating/cooling bills.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues