Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
I'm buying an iPad 3 soon and I really want to jailbreak. If its still on is 6.1 can I jailbreak it even if I don't have the blobs. I believe I heard that you should really have the blobs. I'm purchasing online at eBay probably so should I request for the seller to save blobs for me. I'm really stuck right now because no one knows when apple will stop signing iOS 6.1. What do you guys think if I purchase now am I screwed. Will I have to wait for next jailbreak entirely. I'm stuck any help appreciated.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I'm buying an iPad 3 soon and I really want to jailbreak. If its still on is 6.1 can I jailbreak it even if I don't have the blobs. I believe I heard that you should really have the blobs. I'm purchasing online at eBay probably so should I request for the seller to save blobs for me. I'm really stuck right now because no one knows when apple will stop signing iOS 6.1. What do you guys think if I purchase now am I screwed. Will I have to wait for next jailbreak entirely. I'm stuck any help appreciated.

If it is already on iOS 6.1, you don't even have to care about the blobs. Blobs are only useful when downgrading. Maybe you should tell the seller to upgrade to iOS 6.1 right after you win the auction.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Blobs can be helpful - but not essential. Do what the poster above me said ask them to upgrade to 6.1 then you can guarantee that you will be able to jailbreak even if Apple for some reason stops signing 6.1 and releases 6.1.1 right away.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012

How much do you want to pay? I can probably sell you my iPad 3 (perfect condition), which is already jailbroken on 6.1. PM me if you're interested.

musicman008

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
If you're gonna purchase one between now and say, the next couple of days, I believe you're still safe. Apple has already released iOS 6.1.1b1 and it'll probably be 2 weeks, at least before the final version comes out. But to be safe, you can request the seller to dump the shsh blobs and submit it to Cydia beforehand. And if possible, jailbreak it before he ships it to you.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
what happens if i need to restore to 6.1 in itunes but apple is not signing it anymore. I know sometimes when something happens and you need to DFU and restore you need to have blobs saved to tiny umbrella to save blobs ?

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Nope, that option was gone years ago.
You can only restore/update to the lastest firmware apple is signing.
If you try and Apple is not signing that version itunes will not let you install it.

Ok, good to know, thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, as soon as you get it is a good idea to use Tinyumbrella and pull its blobs.
If 6.1 is still the latest firmware plug it to itunes and hit restore to update it to 6.1 if its on 6.0 or 6.0.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.