Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:42 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Why I hate my iPod

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Why I hate my iPod

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2
protogenes
macrumors newbie

Yet another planted story.
protogenes is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040

what... total crap. run 15+ miles on a regular basis with my iPods, never once have they skipped or stopped.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Passante
macrumors 6502a

the iPod has replaced sex as a draw. Put iPod in any story regardless of the merrits or relevance.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Lacero
macrumors 601

Why I hate stupid writers.
Lacero is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:14 AM   #6
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
What we hate bitch & complainers!

Maybe he should get a Nano and then try it (no hard disk)...but then he would bitch about it getting scratched too easily... Ahh...some people you just can't satisfy!
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:17 AM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

Hard drives skip if shaken and knocked around--shocking revelation! Apple doesn't make the hard drives. Lots of joggers who want more than 1000 songs make do with hard disk iPods all the same. LOTS of them.

He manages to throw in Apple's "long history" of iPod failures, too

Oh well, all he'll do is sell a few nanos

Last edited by nagromme; Oct 11, 2005 at 11:20 AM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:23 AM   #8
24C
macrumors 6502a

The more you sell, the more likely you are going to get the odd ones popping comments. I must admit my 5GB iPod was poor in the run & jump stakes, but that's why I got a shuffle later on. It's not rocket science, even CD & mp3 had skip protection that wasn't wonderful, but any normal soul realises a spinning disc and a moving laser don't like being bumped up and down, let alone a hard disc.

One last thing they must be a lot heavier on their feet than gwuMACaddict
24C is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:25 AM   #9
svenas1
macrumors member

Quote:
For goodwill's sake, give current iPod users claiming exercise-related freezing one-time amnesty to swap their iPod for 50% off on an iPod Nano, which doesn't have a hard drive. (I don't care if the Nano scratches easily, as long as it works!)
No need for Apple to do that. Such a place already exists, it's called eBay.
svenas1 is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:33 AM   #10
dornoforpyros
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dornoforpyros Send a message via MSN to dornoforpyros
Actually I'd say the guy's complaints are valid. My iPod skips like crazy if I have it in my pants pocket and I WALK for 10 + min. So to suggest that you can't go running with iPods for an extented period of time isn't really obsured.
Personally I'm considering a nano for snow boarding this winter...yes that is my half***ed attemped at justifying a 2nd iPod...
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:37 AM   #11
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

I've had this problem before when cycling but all you have to do is let the HD re-spin when you're not moving!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:40 AM   #12
Squonk
macrumors 65816

That article is lame...

My 2G/20GB iPod did consistently freeze at the 20 minute mark and I was bummed. I've never put my 3g/40 or 4g/60 on my arm - it's too big for me to feel comfortable with that.

I recently picked up a 6G mini and this lives on my arm. It has not skipped in the 8 weeks that I've owned it. And that is with 16+ miles per week of running at the gym.

Which iPod does the writer of the article have? Did I miss that?

This comes down to the right tool for the job. A full size iPod is going to move around (bounce) on your arm - it's kinda big. The mini or better yet the nano is not going to move nearly as much.
Squonk is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:05 PM   #13
nagromme
macrumors G4

I have a big ol' brick of an iPod 60. I play it non-stop on rough hikes with hills and rocks (stomping around in big boots) and I play it while biking on less-than-perfect trails. I also wore it while moving, which was even rougher going. Never ONE skip or failure.

I have zero doubt that these kinds of activities can mess with the HD, but it's not a sure bet--it must depend on just how you use it and where you keep it. And maybe some models (newer models?) are better than others.

(Then again, I keep mine in my front pocket, which should receive every jolt from my legs.)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:16 PM   #14
awal
macrumors member

I have an older iPod (2nd generation) that has skipped and frozen constantly when running (I run between 40 and 50 miles per week) even with an armband. Back when I bought mine, they actively marketed them to runners and athletes. They've pulled back a little bit on that marketing approach since then.

The big problem with them is that the flash memory cache is only 32 megs and has been ever since the iPod was introduced. Increasing the size of that cache to 64 megs or larger wouldn't eat into margins (since I have to believe that the price of a 64 meg RAM is the same or less than what you could get 32 megs for 3 years ago).

I have a mini that has never ever skipped under the same running regimen, so I would guess that the weight of the full-sized iPod contributes to extra shaking.

All of this is of course moot with the nano--although you would not be able to keep all of your music on it. Since it's not Firewire, I don't know that I could even if I wanted to.
awal is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:33 PM   #15
Squonk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by awal
I have an older iPod (2nd generation) that has skipped and frozen constantly when running (I run between 40 and 50 miles per week) even with an armband. Back when I bought mine, they actively marketed them to runners and athletes. They've pulled back a little bit on that marketing approach since then.

The big problem with them is that the flash memory cache is only 32 megs and has been ever since the iPod was introduced. Increasing the size of that cache to 64 megs or larger wouldn't eat into margins (since I have to believe that the price of a 64 meg RAM is the same or less than what you could get 32 megs for 3 years ago).

I have a mini that has never ever skipped under the same running regimen, so I would guess that the weight of the full-sized iPod contributes to extra shaking.

All of this is of course moot with the nano--although you would not be able to keep all of your music on it. Since it's not Firewire, I don't know that I could even if I wanted to.
32MB cache indeed! I remember reading that Apple was encouraging people to rip songs at lower bit rates to fit more in the cache in hopes of eliminating the freezing. Being an audiophile, that solution was not an option for me. Yes, even when running, I want excellent quality.

True - the nano resolves these concerns. I thought about returning the mini for a nano for about 2 weeks and came to the conclusion that my mini is for running only. How often do I look at the screen while running? Once, when I hit shuffle to start it up. Otherwise, I'm just using the next button. Perhaps I'm the demographic for a Shuffle... Nah - gotta have my FireWire.
Squonk is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:29 PM   #16
Passante
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonk
snip
I recently picked up a 6G mini and this lives on my arm. It has not skipped in the 8 weeks that I've owned it. And that is with 16+ miles per week of running at the gym.

snip
"I hate people who run" he said reaching for a bag of chips while seated on the sofa and listening to his iPod.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:54 PM   #17
solvs
macrumors 601

My CD player used to skip all the time, even with skip protection. Never had a problem with my mini, and my shuffle is even better. There are a lot of things you could say Apple needs to improve. This is not one of them. I call FUD.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion