Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oohitztommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
for the people that are using the tetherme app, do you have have the APN selection option on or off? im confused about how this setting works. please help me thank you in advance!:)

oohitztommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
thanks for the quick reply. when i check my cellular data usage it shows tethered data. should i be concerned about this?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
thanks for the quick reply. when i check my cellular data usage it shows tethered data. should i be concerned about this?
You are tethering data. What else would it show?

Why would you have anything to be concerned about?

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Mine doesn't show tethered data when I check my usage. It's making it appear as if its coming directly from the phone, not from using tethering.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
for the people that are using the tetherme app, do you have have the APN selection option on or off? im confused about how this setting works. please help me thank you in advance!:)

I was wondering about this question the other day. What is the best way to keep the mobile company from catching on? Should I leave it on or off?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I think he says that because there is no real way to hide it. If you use enough data they will dig and they can find out.

This.

The amount of time people spend worrying about this is truly amazing. As if ATT is going to search through the log files of millions of accounts looking for you.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
This.

The amount of time people spend worrying about this is truly amazing. As if ATT is going to search through the log files of millions of accounts looking for you.

If you can't answer the question how about you let someone who may actually know do so?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
If you can't answer the question how about you let someone who may actually know do so?

It doesn't matter what you set it to. That's not how the carriers find you. They look for large amounts of data being transferred. In my last post, I agreed with the first person who gave you this answer.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
this is the tetherme app?

Yes. I would say if you use 5gb of data normally, and you tether 5gb of data, you won't raise any red flags. If you typically use 1gb of data, and magically start using 7gb right after a major jailbreak is released, obviously they will catch on.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
So your telling me that the APN you use has nothing to do with how the carrier catches you? From what I read in numerous articles and news sites the APN you use has a lot to do with how carriers catch people. Its not only data use. I understand if your data use suddenly fluctuates then it would be a red flag.

But my original question which no one can answer (without sarcasm) is what that setting is for? If the developer had no reason for it then I don't think he would have put it there.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Though I don't know what the hell the APN settings mean, I'm pretty sure the developer of tether me created the app with the thought of hiding tethering from your carrier. I say that because when you switch off the automatic mode and the other mode that appears, it gives you a warning to hit cancel if you do not know what you're doing, and says something that it is recommended to keep automatic on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.