Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:55 PM   #26
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
It's sooooo 1963...

Attachment 395437
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jetsons8.png
Views:	26
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	395440

Tim Cook said Jetsons
__________________
MacBook Air i7 2.0Ghz 13.3"
iPhone 5S
iPad 2
jamesnajera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:56 PM   #27
devinci99
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I am soo tempted to get one of these.

But as much as I want to, when I look at my current watch, I don't think I can go with out.

My Casio Wave Ceptor as an Atomic clock receiver and is solar powered to a rechargeable battery. Without sunlight, it still runs for days.

With roomlight, takes about 4-5 hours to charge, and with sunlight takes about 1 hour'ish.

Its very convenient! Never have to worry about charging, batteries, or resetting the time ever (until the rechargeable battery dies out completely or I do something stupid and break it).

Oh I so wish the Pebble (or future smart watches) was at least solar-powered at the very least. Maybe with as devices because much more power-efficient, give it a atomic clock receiver too.

When it evolves to a point where these 2 can be added, I can part with my current watch.
devinci99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:56 PM   #28
GQB
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
i can only hope Bruze Tognazzini doesn't ever work for a bank....lose your watch and have your entire identity stolen!
Try reading the whole article by Tog...
"Apple must ensure, however, that, if you remove the watch, you must reestablish authenticity. (Reauthorizing would be an excellent place for biometrics.) Otherwise, we’ll have a spate of violent “watchjackings” replacing the non-violent iPhone-grabs going on today."
GQB is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:58 PM   #29
ipedro
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
What about the one BIG problem...I don't (and I know many others) want to wear a watch. Ever. I don't want a watch tan, and I don't want that dorky thing strapped to my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekuda View Post
An iWatch is about 10 years too late! I don't know anyone who wears watches anymore because of the fact that they have cell phones!

I'm going to take a wild guess that you're likely under 20 or not much over. Newsflash: People have worn wrist watches for over a hundred years. Until recently, nearly every adult wore one. It's only been in the last 5 years or so that it has gotten less popular, yet many people still wear them despite also carrying a smart phone.

Is the smartphone going to kill the watch? The opposite may be true. My prediction is that if Apple or anybody releases a compelling wrist worn computer, people will stop carrying phones in their pockets.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:58 PM   #30
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
Try reading the whole article by Tog...
"Apple must ensure, however, that, if you remove the watch, you must reestablish authenticity. (Reauthorizing would be an excellent place for biometrics.) Otherwise, we’ll have a spate of violent “watchjackings” replacing the non-violent iPhone-grabs going on today."
yeah , because people are going to remember to log their watch off and on
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:00 PM   #31
Chuck-Norris
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
Watches are pretty much 100% for fashion nowadays.
That doesn't make the idea a bad one. Fashions come and go, and if Apple (or anyone) were to be able to make a really stunning piece of wristwear that became a 'must-have', this idea could have legs.
But the key is that it has to be orders of magnitude better looking than ANY of the watch ideas I've yet seen floated. They all look like ass.
must be more expensive then a rolex LOL
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:04 PM   #32
TallManNY
macrumors 68020
 
TallManNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Watches are primarily a fashion item. Think of the watches that you see people wearing and think about if they are trying to make a brand statement or look attractive with that watch. Even the folks who say no way and point to their cheap retro Casio on their wrist should recognize they are really making a fashion choice. So thinking you are going to manufacture one design (with some nice functions but still fairly limited) and 10s of millions of folks will all wear it seems off base to me.
__________________
Mid-2011 3.1GHz i5 iMac (6970m); HP Spectre (Win 8.1)
BBRY Q10; iPhone 6; iPad Mini-R
Apple Stockholder (a nice dividend, stock buybacks and cutting edge innovation? yes please!)
TallManNY is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #33
jbimler
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'd buy one. Imagine if they stuck a light sensor in the bottom to record your heart rate 24 hours a day.

Personally I've been waiting for an all in one fitness band but everything on the market is either in it's infancy or doesn't have all the features I want.
jbimler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #34
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I, as the only remaining person on Earth who wears a watch, will explain that I do so because it is more convenient to glance at my wrist for the time than take my cell phone out of whatever pocket in which it is stored and push the home button to see the time.
Haven't wore one for about 7 years now. The time is displayed everywhere you go these days. (laptops, car dash, etc.). Plus, if you use your smartphone for other things besides a call you just can't help but know what time it is.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:07 PM   #35
Klae17
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacc View Post
"...........using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude......."

What is granularity and how is it measured in orders of magnitude?

Sorry, this is enough to scare the c*** out of me. I don't want to sound defeatist, but thank God I'm in my mid 50's and hopefully wont be around (ie: I'll be dead!) when every single person on the planet will be trackable/contactable/accountable...

Why don't we all iOFF, get a life and appreciate the things that are important like gorgeous sunsets, bird song - anything but this junk...

iPis**d
How dramatic... You can just turn it off, or don't buy it. No one is ever forcing you to do anything. You're not that special that the companies wouldn't function without your tiny, tiny amount of data.

Also, enjoy your sunsets. I do everyday and take photos occasionally on my iPhone. Too bad you enjoy life and have gadgets... That would be too difficult.
__________________
15" rMBP, 13" MBA iPhone 6+, iPod Nano, Shuffle, iPad Air 2, Apple TV 3s, Mac Pro.
Klae17 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:07 PM   #36
henryhbk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boston
Send a message via AIM to henryhbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacc View Post
"...........using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude......."

What is granularity and how is it measured in orders of magnitude?
iPis**d
Using pressure is actually horribly inaccurate. The air pressure for the day greatly affects your reading (any pilot knows this as they get the "correction" factor when they get their pre-takeoff info so they can adjust the altimeter). GPS is soooo much more accurate (Like <1m in best cases). Here is a PDF from the US Govt GPS guys that shows accuracy and how it has improved. Since the device already has a GPS in it, no reason to use altimeter data.
__________________
Henry Feldman, MD
Harvard Medical School
henryhbk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #37
sinsin07
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekuda View Post
An iWatch is about 10 years too late! I don't know anyone who wears watches anymore because of the fact that they have cell phones!
Must be a small.world.
sinsin07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #38
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
It's pretty unbelievable how narrow minded many of the people are on this forum....

I had zero desire for a smartphone before the iPhone was announced. I loved my little small flip phone and it did everything I could ever want in a phone. The second I saw an iPhone I new I NEEDED one immediately. I see this same possibility with the iWatch.

Sure, you say most people don't wear watches? That may be true (although I think there are a lot more watch wearers than you realize), but that's simply because most watches only serve one function... to tell time, and we all get that on our phones.

But the possibilities are endless with an iWatch, assuming it's implemented correctly (and with proper security). Wirelessly charged as you sleep each night. Warns you when you walk away from your phone. Can ask "where's my phone?" and it makes your phone start beeping. NFC payments. Notifcations. Siri communication (seems especially useful with reminders). Fitness apps/health monitoring. Apps that record precise sleep monitoring to wake you up at the right time. and so much more!

But no just because YOU don't wear a watch anymore, there is no reason you (or anyone else) would ever want to wear one again...
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
iPod owner since 2006 | Mac owner since 2007
iPhone owner since 2008 | iPad owner since 2011
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #39
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Apple will never make a watch. It's not light or thin.

It will be an iRing which will connect to your iShoes (monitors your weight, exercise rates etc, your iEar (implant for 'Bluetooth' sound), iMouth (you thought that was just a lip piercing for fashion, silly people) and iEyes (contact displays).

All light and thin and magical.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:14 PM   #40
sinsin07
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
What about the one BIG problem...I don't (and I know many others) want to wear a watch. Ever. I don't want a watch tan, and I don't want that dorky thing strapped to my wrist.

The "problem" it's supposed to solve is that I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket? Why have the phone then? I think it sounds silly.
Easy solution . If it ain't your style, dont buy it. Every product put out on the planet is not made explictly for you
sinsin07 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:15 PM   #41
baryon
macrumors 68030
 
baryon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Tognazzini believes that via apps and design, Apple would revolutionize the smart watch industry, with its curved glass designs created by Jony Ive, Siri integration, and wireless charging.[/url]
The smart watch industry? The one that doesn't even exist yet?

It sounds like a good idea, but let's just wait until the Pebble ships so we can actually see what a smart watch is, what works and what doesn't.
__________________
Sent from my iPod Shuffle
baryon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:17 PM   #42
henryhbk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boston
Send a message via AIM to henryhbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Watches are primarily a fashion item. Think of the watches that you see people wearing and think about if they are trying to make a brand statement or look attractive with that watch.
Well, as a physician I use my watch endlessly throughout the day for work. I need to A) know the time as it's important to schedule all sorts of things and B) taking pulses and other measurements that need a group of seconds.

Before you attack me for being a luddite I use my iPhone and iPad through the day while caring for patients (I'm actually one of the docs in the "year in the life of iPad" apple movie [at 2:45-] using the iPad with the CT scan on the screen with the female patient), but whipping out your iPhone every time you want to do something time related is a pain in the butt! I can simply glance at my wrist (and a second sweep hand is much more useful for timing something than a stopwatch while glancing).
__________________
Henry Feldman, MD
Harvard Medical School
henryhbk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:18 PM   #43
carl0sian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
iWatch?!?! No! NO! no! No! NO! .....and no! Looks like a failure waiting to happen.
carl0sian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:18 PM   #44
chadley_chad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nottingham, UK
Useless!

If you're cool you wear a Tag or something of similar ilk ... Not a ****** Apple device with features no one needs!
chadley_chad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:19 PM   #45
jasondeno
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Dumb

This is really dumb. An NFC in ANOTHER device we have to carry? Why not put the NFC and the pressure sensors in the phone I already carry? What happens when a pick pocket steals my watch?

I dunno. No compelling reason other than starting with a lower case "i" to compel me to want this thing at this point..
jasondeno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:19 PM   #46
madman365
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Did any of you actually read the article...

The ideas he was pitching behind the watch is that you WON'T lose your identity if you lose it, unlike if you lost your phone. Also, this is the first time I thought that the IWatch was something I would want. Unlocking my computer and iDevices as well as carrying the NFC chip that WON'T be in my phone...brilliant. The NFC only works when it is in proximity to your phone since the watch won't have any data stored on it.

Also, I like looing at my wrist for the time instesad of digging in to my pockets to get my phone.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong, but I felt like this artcle actually made me want one for the first time.
madman365 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:20 PM   #47
osaga
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I want so badly to like this idea, but the dork factor is insurmountable. It should be left to third party developers. Hopefully Ives can talk Tim out of it (wild guess).
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:23 PM   #48
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Haven't wore one for about 7 years now. The time is displayed everywhere you go these days. (laptops, car dash, etc.). Plus, if you use your smartphone for other things besides a call you just can't help but know what time it is.
First, it's great you haven't wore one for 7 years.

It was not my intent to suggest that anyone should wear a watch, or not wear a watch.

I was only commenting on the fact there are still a few of us luddites who still wear a watch.

I hesitate to mention to those who consider unpressed khakis as "dressing up" that there is some style to wearing a watch, granting that it marks you as hopelessly old fashioned and out of it. And wearing a suit and tie in the appropriate circumstances...well...

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:25 PM   #49
Dangerzone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
LG GD910 Watch Phone (2009)
Dangerzone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #50
Hustler1337
macrumors 6502a
 
Hustler1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, UK
lol, iWatch.



lol
__________________
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7Hey iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Space Grey>>> iPhone 5S 32GB Space Grey>> iPhone 4 16GB
Hustler1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Publishes Its 'iOS Human Interface Guidelines' on iBooks MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 36 May 15, 2014 01:12 PM
Retired Intel Exec Speculates Steve Jobs Prerecorded Intro for Apple search engine ryansimmons323 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 8 May 4, 2014 05:43 PM
Apple looking for Human Interface designers Rogifan iOS 7 39 Mar 2, 2014 10:02 PM
Need help with menu symbols according to the OS X Human Interface guidelines sandeep.koodal OS X Mavericks (10.9) 3 Feb 12, 2014 07:48 AM
Human Interface reporting to Craig Federighi? Rogifan iOS 6 2 Nov 2, 2012 06:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC