Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple employee and human interface developer Bruce Tognazzini published a blog post earlier this week listing his thoughts on the iWatch, a potential Apple product that made headlines late in 2012.

pebblesmartwatch.jpg
The Pebble Smartwatch
Tognazzini's post encompasses a wide range of ideas on the design and functionality of the iWatch. He believes that an Apple-branded smart watch would have few standalone operations, instead being used to extend the usefulness of existing Apple devices by enhancing apps and other functions.

One of his more compelling ideas includes the elimination of passcodes. With a passcode, he speculates, the smart watch, which would incorporate a sleek, button-free design, could be used to unlock iPhones and Macs via proximity.
The watch can and should, for most of us, eliminate passcodes altogether on iPhones, and Macs and, if Apple's smart, PCs: As long as my watch is in range, let me in! That, to me, would be the single-most compelling feature a smartwatch could offer: If the watch did nothing but release me from having to enter my passcode/password 10 to 20 times a day, I would buy it.

As with passcodes, the watch could be used in conjunction with Find My iPhone, sounding an alert when a user moves out of range of the device.
Along with facilitating phone calls and incorporating sensors, Tognazzini believes that an Apple iWatch might also include NFC capabilities for making payments and temperature controls, similar to the Nest.
The NFC chip belongs in the iWatch, not in the iPhone! That way we'll know exactly where it is at all times, strapped to the end of an appendage expressly designed to be waved around at things. How handy! Reach. Touch. Done.

Meanwhile, our iPhone, handling any necessary communication, will stay hidden safely away, and, if someone does manage to get ahold of our watch, it will require reauthorization, having been removed from our arm. Net value to the thief: Zilch. Net loss to us: A whole lot less than an iPhone, with word on the street quickly making it clear there's no point in stealing an iWatch.

Of course, not every merchant will accept NFC right away, so the watch, linked to Passport, will also display QR codes, etc.
An iWatch could even potentially serve as a fix for Apple Maps, utilizing pressure data from watches to build an altitude map of the world, which would improve the functionality of Apple's 3D mapping.
Using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude greater than ever before attempted for a wide-area map at a cost several orders of magnitude less than Flyover.
Tognazzini believes that via apps and design, Apple would revolutionize the smart watch industry, with its curved glass designs created by Jony Ive, Siri integration, and wireless charging.

Though Tognazzini admits to having no insider information, he points out that his ideas come from a "solid understanding of Apple, its products, the problem, and the opportunity."

His full rundown on the potential Apple iWatch is worth a read, and it can be found on his blog, AskTog.

Article Link: Former Apple Human Interface Developer Speculates on Future 'iWatch'

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
An iWatch is about 10 years too late! I don't know anyone who wears watches anymore because of the fact that they have cell phones! :confused:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
and what am i supposed to do with this iwatch thingy? it's like the google fans and google glass. its so cool but no one can figure out what they are going to do with it

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
some people think apple has to get their hands in everything huh. kinda reminds me of microsoft lol.

Aug 26, 2008
What about the one BIG problem...I don't (and I know many others) want to wear a watch. Ever. I don't want a watch tan, and I don't want that dorky thing strapped to my wrist.

The "problem" it's supposed to solve is that I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket? Why have the phone then? I think it sounds silly.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder if a gadget saturation point will be reached. I'm not sure I want to have yet another gadget, let alone wear one. If the "iWatch" was a workable substitute for my iPhone, I'd be all over it. But it's not that much trouble to pull my iPhone out of my pocket and wave it for a transaction.

Another consideration: how waterproof would the watch be?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
One of his more compelling ideas includes the elimination of passcodes. With a passcode, he speculates, the smart watch, which would incorporate a sleek, button-free design, could be used to unlock iPhones and Macs via proximity.
Along with facilitating phone calls and incorporating sensors, Tognazzini believes that an Apple iWatch might also include NFC capabilities for making payments and temperature controls, similar to the Nest.

Lose your watch, lose your identity. Jeez, it sounds so much like a cheesey Sci-Fi plot, I just had to:

v02fA8g.png

Last edited:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
An iWatch is about 10 years too late! I don't know anyone who wears watches anymore because of the fact that they have cell phones! :confused:
Ten years ago we weren't all exactly playing video games on our cell phones though and i think the watch has been long forgotten as a utility device. I think if this were to come true, it would definitely push the smart watch market just like the original iPhone did.

pixelpro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Next: An iShoe. Eliminates the need of a GPS in phone, monitors your weight, and improves dating chances!

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Tognazzini believes that via apps and design, Apple would revolutionize the smart watch industry,
Smart Watch Industry?!?
Sorry but there is no smart watch industry. There's fewer and fewer wearing watches at all, aside of for fashion reasons. There are chronographs and there are people like my wife that have her older iPod Nano on a wrist band, but to call this theoretical idea an "industry" is silly.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Everyone says the dont want or don't need one, but how many of these people said the same thing when the iPhone and/or iPad came out?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
i can only hope Bruze Tognazzini doesn't ever work for a bank....lose your watch and have your entire identity stolen!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I personally think the iWatch is a fantastic idea and would buy one the second it was released.

Then again, I'm a watch fan (I have quite a few) and would like the ideas he presented for added usefulness.

----------

i can only hope Bruze Tognazzini doesn't ever work for a bank....lose your watch and have your entire identity stolen!

Is losing a watch more common than losing your cell phone? Better putting an NFC tag in my watch than in my cell phone IMO.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Watches are pretty much 100% for fashion nowadays.
That doesn't make the idea a bad one. Fashions come and go, and if Apple (or anyone) were to be able to make a really stunning piece of wristwear that became a 'must-have', this idea could have legs.
But the key is that it has to be orders of magnitude better looking than ANY of the watch ideas I've yet seen floated. They all look like ass.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
People don't wear watches - but they wear Nike+ Fuelbands.
I have yet to see someone who ditched his or her watch because it was uncomfortable, so that's not the point. They ditch is because it's useless with a smartphone, just displaying the time or at best having a calculator or IR remote build-in. And if you complain that iOS hasn't changed since it's introduction and ditch it, chances are that you don't like a device that hasn't changed a lot in a century.

And that is where Apple fits in.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I kinda like the red watch in the picture. Just remember: there are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. And for those who don't, it says it's 12:15:26.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I, as the only remaining person on Earth who wears a watch, will explain that I do so because it is more convenient to glance at my wrist for the time than take my cell phone out of whatever pocket in which it is stored and push the home button to see the time.

Glancing at my wrist is clearly an antiquated and old fashioned way to learn the time.

But, according to the poster above, I am the only quaint fogey who still does that.

:rolleyes:

ianmacc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
iAM not interested

"...........using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude......."

What is granularity and how is it measured in orders of magnitude?

Sorry, this is enough to scare the c*** out of me. I don't want to sound defeatist, but thank God I'm in my mid 50's and hopefully wont be around (ie: I'll be dead!) when every single person on the planet will be trackable/contactable/accountable...

Why don't we all iOFF, get a life and appreciate the things that are important like gorgeous sunsets, bird song - anything but this junk...

iPis**d

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.