Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I'm considering buying a Mac Mini and recall that if you buy a Time Capsule too, you can cover both with the same Apple Care.

How does this work? Do both have to be bought in the same transaction? Do both have to be bought from Apple? Do you still have 12 months to buy the Apple Care?

I already have a late 2010 MBA and so would want to back both machines up. Is Time Capsule even the right solution or should I go for a USB/Thunderbolt drive attached to the Mac Mini (or indeed both that and the TC).

I have a ReadyNAS Duo with a single HDD but find this noisy and rather annoying. I'd rather invest in a better backup solution than buy another HDD for the empty bay.

My only doubt is whether to wait for the next Gen hardware in the hope that this has the new wifi standard (unlikely as that may be).

All advice welcome. Am open to different solutions, though not one involving a NAS.

daerve

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
I'd like to know this too because I bought a TC around 7 months after my MBP and also have applecare for the MBP.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm considering buying a Mac Mini and recall that if you buy a Time Capsule too, you can cover both with the same Apple Care.

How does this work? Do both have to be bought in the same transaction? Do both have to be bought from Apple? Do you still have 12 months to buy the Apple Care?

I already have a late 2010 MBA and so would want to back both machines up. Is Time Capsule even the right solution or should I go for a USB/Thunderbolt drive attached to the Mac Mini (or indeed both that and the TC).

I have a ReadyNAS Duo with a single HDD but find this noisy and rather annoying. I'd rather invest in a better backup solution than buy another HDD for the empty bay.

My only doubt is whether to wait for the next Gen hardware in the hope that this has the new wifi standard (unlikely as that may be).

All advice welcome. Am open to different solutions, though not one involving a NAS.

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world.

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Included accessories such as the power adapter
Apple memory (RAM)
AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, or Time Capsule 2
Apple USB SuperDrive (for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro with Retina display, iMac, and Mac mini)
Apple display purchased with your Mac

2 - The AirPort device or Time Capsule must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

This is from Apple - http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

daerve

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world.

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Apple memory (RAM)
Apple USB SuperDrive (for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro with Retina display, iMac, and Mac mini)

2 - The AirPort device or Time Capsule must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

Thanks. :)

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Apple memory (RAM)

Thanks - apologies that I realised I was being lazy with that first question.

Now I have to work out a new storage solution. My 128GB MBA is pretty much full and I'm keen to replace my NAS. I had problems accessing it a few weeks ago and lost some data getting it sorted out. Luckily I had backups on disc.

Given that I'm also considering a new Mac, I want to start the most cost-effective and future proof solution for data storage. I fear this may not include my late 2010 MBA for very long due to its lack of a thunderbolt or USB 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.