Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveLB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
The otterbox is great, but it's only protects the iPhone.
The Magic Case can do lots of things.... and it has real SMART COVER for iPhone.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Watched the video. Interesting.

I like the sleep-wake feature like the iPad's Smart Cover.

I like the extendable "hook" (bottle opener) because it can allow the case to hang from somewhere inside the car if you use the phone as a GPS, although not from the rearview mirror as the swinging around would be distracting and make the maps hard to read.

And I was interested in the mentioned "hidden wallet" but the video didn't really show/explain that part.

So without a clear explanation of the "wallet" part, my impression is that it does seem a little thick for what it is.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I'm assuming you didn't see what I typed in silver and realized what I was trying to say.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Okay I thought about the magnetic back - if it is strong enough to attach to a steel section of a car's dashboard without falling off when you hit bumps, then this may cancel my negative comment about the hook and how it might swing around too much.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
So...? What do you to say ?

Packing too many features into a case isn't really desirable.

People really want one of 3 things from a case:

1. To look good

2. To be small

3. To be protective

As Johnethan Ives says, it's easy to pack a lot of bells and whistles into a product but it's hard to actually do one thing really well.

If you look at the case market the most talked about cases are:

1. Power Support Flat Bumper

2. Caze Thin Edge/ Power Support Air Jacket

3. Otterbox Defender

All of these do each of their things very well and took a lot of work to get there. The Thin Edge/Air Jacket required very precise manufacturing and prototyping. The Power Support Flat Bumper required extremely extensive prototyping and making a new type of plastic that matched the anodized aluminium, (it's not paint it goes all the way through). And the otterbox defender was stress tested to a ridiculous degree, and refined to deliver good results with lots of experience in the field.

Honestly the easiest business venture when it comes to cases right now is probably making a variation on the Caze Thin Edge, an ultra thin plastic bumper with rubberized paint so that it grips tables/pockets/hands (Alsa Soft Feel paint).

That design could use a refined clip on the bottom that attatches better and is less obtrusive, and a custom mixed metalic paint that matches the iPhone 5 better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.