Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DrawQuest, a new iPad app from 4chan founder Chris Poole (also known as moot), aims to combine art creation with social interaction via daily drawing challenges.

Building on his experience with Canvas, an HTML 5 application designed to allow users to share and remix media, Poole designed the app to help people express themselves through art.
DrawQuest is about re­learning to express yourself creatively and sticking with it. Everything about DrawQuest -- from our simple drawing tools to the ability to star and play back drawings -- was designed to foster a community of budding creators.
drawquest.jpg
DrawQuest is billed as a free drawing community designed exclusively for the iPad. The app, which requires users to sign up, presents a drawing challenge each day. With included tools, users are asked to complete quests, which include enhancing a base image.

A new image template is added daily, and after finishing a challenge, users can view the work of other artists, watching playback, sharing an image on social networks, and starring favorites. Drawings are entirely public - there's no option for private sharing.

drawquest2.jpg
In an interview with The Verge, Poole reveals that his inspiration for DrawQuest came from Canvas users who were too intimidated to use the image creation tools. With prompts, Poole believes he can inspire creativity with constraints.
"One of the scariest things you can place in front of an adult is a blank sheet of paper and a pencil," Poole says. "It's like you're pointing a gun at them. 'Sorry, I don't draw, I don't write, I don't origami,' they'll say."
DrawQuest is a free app and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 4chan Founder Chris Poole Releases DrawQuest, an App Designed to Inspire Creativity

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'll buck the trend: I think it sounds different from what's been done, quite possibly fun, and certainly worth the experiment.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It's something for free, can't complain.

Except if that something is Flash, then I can complain.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Seems like some people have lost the ability to think different.
How bad can something that might inspire creativity be?
Much more innovative than buggering up an iGizmo fron 64GB to 128GB.
Maybe someday there'll be an app to inspire creative responses to unusual apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.