Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:02 AM   #1
john_satc
macrumors 6502

Problems with Spotlight... any way to restart it?

I keep having the same problem with spotlight.
I will search for a document simply putting in the a word, such as 'papacy' (history work), knowing that there are at least half a dozen documents with 'papacy' within them. Yet, I get 'No results found'. Or I can type in exact names that I have saved documents as, and still get 'No results found'. And yet, I can go through finder and find the documents myself. This is really annoying as I am doing coursework and type in simple phrases like 'relations with papcy' which is a common theme in my documents, and yet get no results!

Is there any way I can force spotlight to restart itself, hoping this will fix the problem.
john_satc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Marky_Mark
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Marky_Mark Send a message via MSN to Marky_Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_satc
Is there any way I can force spotlight to restart itself, hoping this will fix the problem.
Go into System Prefs -> Spotlight and click on the Privacy Tab.

When you mark a disk or folder as private and non-searchable, Spotlight actually DELETES its entire index for that location, so if it's misbehaving, drag the disk/folder into the Privacy list and then back out again. Spotlight will delete and then rebuild the index for that disk/folder.

Good eh?
Marky_Mark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark
Go into System Prefs -> Spotlight and click on the Privacy Tab.

When you mark a disk or folder as private and non-searchable, Spotlight actually DELETES its entire index for that location, so if it's misbehaving, drag the disk/folder into the Privacy list and then back out again. Spotlight will delete and then rebuild the index for that disk/folder.

Good eh?
That is a much simpler solution that what I was going to suggest. However, another more direct solution that I've used is MainMenu... lets you do many things. It can be found here.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help