Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Will/\
macrumors member

27" iMac 2012 - Fan and HDD

Hi! Everything was going great when I first got my iMac until two/three weeks back. When I got it my iMac was fine no noises at all. Completely silent. Now al of a sudden my iMac makes a grumbling noise sounds like HDD and also the fans are running constantly now.

I am going to ring up Apple support tomorrow and ask for some advice as haven't had a chance yet and I just thought I would ask around here for some help and advice first.

Thanks,

Will
Will/\ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will/\ View Post
Hi! Everything was going great when I first got my iMac until two/three weeks back. When I got it my iMac was fine no noises at all. Completely silent. Now al of a sudden my iMac makes a grumbling noise sounds like HDD and also the fans are running constantly now.

I am going to ring up Apple support tomorrow and ask for some advice as haven't had a chance yet and I just thought I would ask around here for some help and advice first.

Thanks,

Will
Reset the SMC 2-3x in a row and see if that helps the fan issue.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Will/\
macrumors member

I've tried resetting smc but no luck
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Will/\
macrumors member

OK so, spoke to Apple and they said to take to store. Any advice before I reserve?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Alterin
macrumors newbie

Did you migrate from another mac? I migrated from an old macbook that had overheating issues. So I installed smcfan on it, and I had those fans turned WAY up. Those settings migrated over and took affect the first time I rebooted(I just wanted to see how fast it could!) Scared the hell out of me til I figured out it took over and changed the settings (And ultimately uninstalled it)
Alterin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Will/\
macrumors member

No I didn't, it's my first mac so slightly annoyed because I have waited six months for the upgraded model only for it to make a noise. Ahh well might take it in for service next weekend.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
streetfoldsfive
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No I didn't, it's my first mac so slightly annoyed because I have waited six months for the upgraded model only for it to make a noise. Ahh well might take it in for service next weekend.
My hard drive and fan are audible to extent if i don't have music or videos or tv playing. I figured I would just deal since i know the fans are working haha. It does bother my ocd a bit but when you bring it to the apple store i figured they would think I was nuts since you won't be able to hear it in that store. Let me know what they say if you could be so kind.
streetfoldsfive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Will/\
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfoldsfive View Post
My hard drive and fan are audible to extent if i don't have music or videos or tv playing. I figured I would just deal since i know the fans are working haha. It does bother my ocd a bit but when you bring it to the apple store i figured they would think I was nuts since you won't be able to hear it in that store. Let me know what they say if you could be so kind.
Thats exactly what I was thinking and probably what mine sounds like as well.
Just went back to my iMac after being on sleep for 6 hours and fans were running while asleep. Getting to be annoying.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
streetfoldsfive
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thats exactly what I was thinking and probably what mine sounds like as well.
Just went back to my iMac after being on sleep for 6 hours and fans were running while asleep. Getting to be annoying.
I find that having my ipad plugged in will wake my macs fans every now and then.
streetfoldsfive is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac