Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1
b3enthusiast
macrumors newbie

Found a great Blu-Ray burner for my late 2012 iMac

Dear Board,

I've seen a couple of threads on here about Blu-Ray burners for the late 2012 iMacs.

I do a ton of photography work (work in raw format).....and work with CS6, Lightroom 4.3 as well. So, my storage needs are huge.

I went on Amazon and found a great device. It works flawlessly with my new iMac.

It's only USB 2.0, but it did the trick for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MCZJXG/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Hope this helps anyone else who is looking. (And no, I do not work for the manufacturer or the seller. I'm a hobbyist photographer and way too busy to hawk products on the side. : )

b3
b3enthusiast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3enthusiast View Post
Dear Board,

I've seen a couple of threads on here about Blu-Ray burners for the late 2012 iMacs.

I do a ton of photography work (work in raw format).....and work with CS6, Lightroom 4.3 as well. So, my storage needs are huge.

I went on Amazon and found a great device. It works flawlessly with my new iMac.

Hope this helps anyone else who is looking. (And no, I do not work for the manufacturer or the seller. I'm a hobbyist photographer and way too busy to hawk products on the side. : )

b3
Glad to see more options for Blu-ray on Mac but I have a question for you. If your storage needs are huge then how is a Blu-ray the right solution? They still don't have a fraction of the storage of even smaller portable hard drives.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
b3enthusiast
macrumors newbie

Reply to Henry

Henry,

Archivability......the ability to burn 2 discs. One disc to put in a fireproof safe and the other to use when I need to "reach back" into "yesterday"......

Case in point: Last year I shot over 1 gig of photos in 3 days alone (many of my projects are over the 4gig capacity of DVD storage)......I use hard drives as temporary storage....have a Lacie Thunderbolt and an older FireWire version as well......but, I just feel safer having two discs burned......I guess it's just my personal OCD about it......doesn't make me right, but it is my workflow preference.

Thanks for allowing me to respond.

b3
b3enthusiast is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
dandrewk
macrumors regular

Quote:

The specs show it as USB 3.0.
dandrewk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
b3enthusiast
macrumors newbie

Reply to dandrewk

I didn't realize it was USB 3.0.......if it is then that is great.......I was glad to just higher disk archivability beyond 4.7 gigs (DVD)........

Thanks for pointing that out.

b3
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:37 PM   #6
strauss884
macrumors member

I got this one and I love it. Rips full blu rays in 15 minutes

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+16x...0ray&cp=1&lp=9
strauss884 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss884 View Post
I got this one and I love it. Rips full blu rays in 15 minutes

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+16x...0ray&cp=1&lp=9
Some people are having nothing but problems with that drive and LG has said that the drive does not officially support Apple computers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1504518
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:57 AM   #8
d0nK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Dear Board,
Surely you want to get one that supports 'm-disc'!?
M-disc DVD's are out now and the blu-ray disks supposedly this Spring.
It seems perfect for photo storage.
d0nK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
b3enthusiast
macrumors newbie

Reply to d0nk

As soon as prices are down for the media (per disk)..... I will upgrade.......this got me through for the next year or so.

b3
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:46 PM   #10
digitalfailure
macrumors regular

I opted for nice little samsung blu ray drive, as a photographer myself backing up some images was the first thing I did.
digitalfailure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:23 PM   #11
benjaminfoden
macrumors member

Software

Can anyone recommend a good piece of BluRay decoding (Playback) and authoring software for Mac OS?
benjaminfoden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
JohnnyFeelgood
macrumors newbie

Does anybody know where to buy that Seatech blu-ray burner in Europe? Amazon.com does not want to ship it to The Netherlands.
JohnnyFeelgood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminfoden View Post
Can anyone recommend a good piece of BluRay decoding (Playback) and authoring software for Mac OS?
I just found this through googling: Blueray Player.

This second one is probably better though. Same price right now, first same through coupon or something.
Or you can just get a Blueray ripper and watch it off your HD.
This will allow you to do it, although is sounds really annoying because if you want to watch it you have to do some converting with Handbrake. Unless, you have VLC.
Or, you can go the expensive way and get this for ripping: Xilisoft Blueray Player

Sounds pretty overwhelming eh?

Last edited by Ddyracer; Feb 9, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:34 PM   #14
aneftp
macrumors 68040

I got this Samsung blu ray burner. Works great so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506...ref=pd_cp_pc_0
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:54 PM   #15
mig0
macrumors newbie

any word on bdxl support?

I've been tempted with buying an "internal" blu-ray drive and connecting it via a usb enclosure or possibly via a usb connector I have for sata drives but wasn't sure that was a good idea.
mig0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I got this Samsung blu ray burner. Works great so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506...ref=pd_cp_pc_0
I actually just returned that model. The ripping speeds were very slow, much slower than the 3.3X or faster I get out of a three year old LG desktop drive stuffed in a crappy USB 2 enclosure.

I would love to find a slim external drive with high speed BD ripping but such a drive does not appear to yet exist.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:10 PM   #17
Runnernorth
macrumors member

Quote:
Dear Board,

b3
May I ask what Brand is it?- it just says sold by seatech
I live in Europe, it doesn't seem to be available on amazon.co.uk.......
Have you tried ripping a Bluray movie, and if, how fast could it be done then?
I've narrowed down to choose between a Asus-bw-14d1xt or a Liteon iHES112, they should be very good at ripping Bluray movies. I do of course need an external case also, and I have all most decided to go for the Raidsonic icybox...
Runnernorth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:14 PM   #18
b3enthusiast
macrumors newbie

Reply to Runnernorth

I have not tried to rip a BluRay Disc on it as I have only used it so far as an extra archiving resource.

I think I read somewhere where it is 2x when used to rip, which would make it slow?

I was just glad to be able to not have to depend on external hard drives as my permanent backup solution.

b3
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Runnernorth
macrumors member

Okay, yes x2 in reading speed is slooow... But perfect for your needs, and, it looks nice. Thx for your info
Runnernorth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Ant2369
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminfoden View Post
I purchased one and it worked great till I discovered it down converted audio to 2.0. Who would want such a disgusting thing loll I ended up buying dvdfab blu ray creator and it works flawlessly for what I wanted (taking MKV and making them into bdmv files). They have a whole suite of other products from rippers to 1:1 copiers ect. Blu ray and DVD programs

----------

As for my blu ray burner I got the memorex 98839. It's usb 3 and its fully mac compatible and wicked wicked fast

http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-98839-.../dp/B005TFI72O
Ant2369 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:37 PM   #21
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I actually just returned that model. The ripping speeds were very slow, much slower than the 3.3X or faster I get out of a three year old LG desktop drive stuffed in a crappy USB 2 enclosure.

I would love to find a slim external drive with high speed BD ripping but such a drive does not appear to yet exist.
I am usually not concerned with speed. I just want reliability. And it's reliable so far.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:43 PM   #22
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant2369 View Post
I purchased one and it worked great till I discovered it down converted audio to 2.0. Who would want such a disgusting thing loll I ended up buying dvdfab blu ray creator and it works flawlessly for what I wanted (taking MKV and making them into bdmv files). They have a whole suite of other products from rippers to 1:1 copiers ect. Blu ray and DVD programs

----------

As for my blu ray burner I got the memorex 98839. It's usb 3 and its fully mac compatible and wicked wicked fast

http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-98839-.../dp/B005TFI72O
What are ripping speeds of commercial BDs?
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 PM   #23
gzigoris
macrumors member

Quote:
Dear Board,

b3

I ordered the same one from amazon and it does say that it is USB 3. Would appreciate a report when you have it installed and running. My Mac won't be here till the first of March.

George
gzigoris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:16 PM   #24
Aqueous
macrumors member

Quote:

I don't know why no one is mentioning this one "LG 6x Slim External Blu-Ray Writer USB Mfr P/N BP06LU10" I bought it over a year ago from BestBuy for $199 I think and it has performed FLAWLESSLY on both my 2007 MBP running Lion and my 2012 27" iMac running ML. It is fast too, and I don't think I've ever even had one single "buffer underun" or any other error that I used to get with Apple and Samsung Drives in the past. I've burned maybe 500 DVD's and at least 200 BR's with it and I love it. It has a tandem USB2.0 plug so it requires two ports, but it is also Bus Powered, which is nice. It smokes, burning a 20Gb BluRay in maybe 18 minutes...

Here's a link to a random online retailer, just so you can read about it:
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...FYl_QgoddSwASg
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:56 PM   #25
Ant2369
macrumors newbie

Quote:
What are ripping speeds of commercial BDs?
I haven't attempted it yet. Everything I've done is converting MKV to bdmv then burning. I can give it an attempt and get back to you. They do offer free full version trials of the software to experiment. The only thing they do is add there logo to the upper left corner of the screen until you unlock the full versions
Ant2369 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac