Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Update: Did a fresh restore and JB. Did not restore any back up. Significantly better battery life with the same tweaks than before. I don't know what the issue was.

I am currently running evasion untether JB on my iPhone 5. I am experiencing serious battery drainage. I feel it's almost cut in half. No joke. To give an example, I had my friend who also has an iPhone 5 compare battery life with me. We both charged to 100% by the time he drained to 92% I was at 80%. I have the tweaks installed here:
309lbg6.png

Any suggestions on what is draining the battery?

P.S. I do not have bluetooth enabled and use low brightness settings. Also manual fetch mail. ISX is actually disabled ATM, no license.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I am currently running evasion untether JB on my iPhone 5. I am experiencing serious battery drainage. I feel it's almost cut in half. No joke. I have the tweaks installed here:

Any suggestions on what is draining the battery?

P.S. I do not have bluetooth enabled and use low brightness settings. Also manual fetch mail. ISX is actually disabled ATM, no license.

Well not sure I'd be too worried about 99% lol ... but seriously, turn off the percentage and live life free from OCD :)

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I just charged it. Trust me this is a little hard to live life free OCD. It's serious drainage.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I just charged it. Trust me this is a little hard to live life free OCD. It's serious drainage.

I know, I was more just making a joke... I feel like my battery drains faster when I have the percentage on,so I turn it off.

But in all seriousness, it's got a lot more going on than before the jailbreak. Between Auxo, Intelliscreenx, and tetherme, you've got some serious processing going on that you didn't have before you jailbroke, so naturally it's going to eat through the battery quicker.

I intentionally don't use some of the GUI enhancing tweaks because of that reason, at the end of the day it's cool to have a graphical switcher\multitasker, but do I need it? Not really if it means sacraficing battery.

To each his own. Maybe get an external battery pack?

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Are you tethering?

No, I'm not. I'm not really a noob, I've been into JBing for a while. I've never had this serious battery drain. I know typically what drains battery like fetching mail etc.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Like anything else, its a matter of process of elimination. If it was me having this problem, I'd:

1) back up my phone to iTunes
2) do a clean restore to 6.1
3) jailbreak with the latest envasi0n tool (currently 1.2)
4) only install one or two tweaks at a time, to see where the major impact is on my battery

I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I tend to NOT run any tweak that isn't really deemed necessary. For example, I tend to avoid Winterboard and any themes, as that has been problematic on battery life in the past.

Good luck.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I know, I was more just making a joke... I feel like my battery drains faster when I have the percentage on,so I turn it off.

But in all seriousness, it's got a lot more going on than before the jailbreak. Between Auxo, Intelliscreenx, and tetherme, you've got some serious processing going on that you didn't have before you jailbroke, so naturally it's going to eat through the battery quicker.

I intentionally don't use some of the GUI enhancing tweaks because of that reason, at the end of the day it's cool to have a graphical switcher\multitasker, but do I need it? Not really if it means sacraficing battery.

To each his own. Maybe get an external battery pack?

I don't think Auxo can really be that much of a hog, right? And winterboard is debatable, but I used winterboard on my iPT and it never drained this bad. As I said ISX is also disabled at the moment. I don't really want to add that much bulk to my iPhone you know? (bpack)

----------

Like anything else, its a matter of process of elimination. If it was me having this problem, I'd:

1) back up my phone to iTunes
2) do a clean restore to 6.1
3) jailbreak with the latest envasi0n tool (currently 1.2)
4) only install one or two tweaks at a time, to see where the major impact is on my battery

I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I tend to NOT run any tweak that isn't really deemed necessary. For example, I tend to avoid Winterboard and any themes, as that has been problematic on battery life in the past.

Good luck.

I respect this comment but I really don't want to have to do all of that.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I don't think Auxo can really be that much of a hog, right? And winterboard is debatable, but I used winterboard on my iPT and it never drained this bad. As I said ISX is also disabled at the moment. I don't really want to add that much bulk to my iPhone you know? (bpack)

----------

I hear ya. The alternative is uninstalling your tweaks one at a time, and seeing if there's any impact on battery life.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I hear ya. The alternative is uninstalling your tweaks one at a time, and seeing if there's any impact on battery life.

It just annoys me that it looks like none of those tweaks would cause major damage. And it's only a few amount of tweaks.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

----------

Auxo really IS that much of a hog. As is winterboard. As is IntelliscreenX.

Not sure why you ask for advice then don't listen, your battery drain is 100% caused by the tweaks you've installed, and is normal for all those tweaks.

Why do you keep bringing up push vs non push email? It's irrelevant. You had email before the jailbreak, and didn't have battery issues, so rule out push vs non push. In the day of push email over LTE, it takes such a small burst of data to communicate an email it's not like back in the old days of early 3G where email communications took a 10-30 second data connection.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
As an FYI, I run Auxo on my iPhone 5, and I have not witnessed any real impact on my battery.

----------

It just annoys me that it looks like none of those tweaks would cause major damage. And it's only a few amount of tweaks.

Which is why I first recommended the wipe clean process -- you don't have too many tweaks, and most of them are popular. By the time you get done debating on this thread, you'd be done by now. ;-)

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Auxo really IS that much of a hog. As is winterboard. As is IntelliscreenX.

Not sure why you ask for advice then don't listen, your battery drain is 100% caused by the tweaks you've installed, and is normal for all those tweaks.

Why do you keep bringing up push vs non push email? It's irrelevant. You had email before the jailbreak, and didn't have battery issues, so rule out push vs non push. In the day of push email over LTE, it takes such a small burst of data to communicate an email it's not like back in the old days of early 3G where email communications took a 10-30 second data connection.

I brought up the push commenting to the tether guy, meaning I know obvious drainers.

I'm clinging to Auxo because I bought it. I understand refreshing app screen pictures can drain battery, but I barely use switcher. It doesn't update pictures in the background does it?

Edit: Headcase proves my point.

----------

As an FYI, I run Auxo on my iPhone 5, and I have not witnessed any real impact on my battery.

----------

Which is why I first recommended the wipe clean process -- you don't have too many tweaks, and most of them are popular. By the time you get done debating on this thread, you'd be done by now. ;-)

Thanks headcase. I might do it when my girlfriend goes to sleep. Lol. I just have so many apps its a bother. I guess I won't redownload them. I barely play those 5GB apps.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I brought up the push commenting to the tether guy, meaning I know obvious drainers.

I'm clinging to Auxo because I bought it. I understand refreshing app screen pictures can drain battery, but I barely use switcher. It doesn't update pictures in the background does it?

Edit: Headcase proves my point.

----------

Thanks headcase. I might do it when my girlfriend goes to sleep. Lol. I just have so many apps its a bother. I guess I won't redownload them. I barely play those 5GB apps.

It doesn't prove the point, it simply proves that the impact of the battery isn't as big of a deal to him, lol. I get noticeably less battery life out of my phone too, but it's because it's got more running now than it did before, obviously.

How do you determine that the rate it's dropping is more than it should be? What are your charging patterns? It's so difficult to measure battery life, because we tend to use the device a lot more during the time we're getting to know a new phone, or getting to know a freshly jailbroken phone, so it might not be "real life" battery use.

But at the end of the day, it is what it is, and my guess is you'll still see more battery drain even after a restore. You've got a couple heavy hitters in the tweak lineup.

I have found that WeeAppKiller helps, but one word of caution, go in and make exceptions to anything system related.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
It doesn't prove the point, it simply proves that the impact of the battery isn't as big of a deal to him, lol. I get noticeably less battery life out of my phone too, but it's because it's got more running now than it did before, obviously.

How do you determine that the rate it's dropping is more than it should be? What are your charging patterns? It's so difficult to measure battery life, because we tend to use the device a lot more during the time we're getting to know a new phone, or getting to know a freshly jailbroken phone, so it might not be "real life" battery use.

But at the end of the day, it is what it is, and my guess is you'll still see more battery drain even after a restore. You've got a couple heavy hitters in the tweak lineup.

I have found that WeeAppKiller helps, but one word of caution, go in and make exceptions to anything system related.

I've had this phone for like 2 1/2 months now. It's not getting used to a new phone. I just think you're being a bit harsh. Name the bashing tweak drainers right there? And I've read plenty of times that app killers actually drain significant battery because of background process.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I've had this phone for like 2 1/2 months now. It's not getting used to a new phone. I just think you're being a bit harsh. Name the bashing tweak drainers right there? And I've read plenty of times that app killers actually drain significant battery because of background process.

a) Sorry when I said "new phone" I mean because when we're able to jailbreak it's like having a new phone all over again. I know I spend much more time tweaking the apps\mods on my phone this week than I did last week, so my battery goes a lot quicker just because I spent a lot of time on it.

b) To say killing apps uses more battery than not is BS, sorry, don't mean to be harsh. If you kill Facebook, it's using less processor than to leave it running, no ifs, ands, or buts. I think what you mean is there are some auto-killers that run all the time (mainly common on Android, not so much so with iOS), and they kill system processes, and the system auto-restarts them, so it's like an automated start\stop tug of war always going on that can drain the battery faster. To say using an app like WeKill to do one-tap kill of Facebook\Safari\Games\Apps not being used uses more battery is hogwash, :)

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
a) Sorry when I said "new phone" I mean because when we're able to jailbreak it's like having a new phone all over again. I know I spend much more time tweaking the apps\mods on my phone this week than I did last week, so my battery goes a lot quicker just because I spent a lot of time on it.

b) To say killing apps uses more battery than not is BS, sorry, don't mean to be harsh. If you kill Facebook, it's using less processor than to leave it running, no ifs, ands, or buts. I think what you mean is there are some auto-killers that run all the time (mainly common on Android, not so much so with iOS), and they kill system processes, and the system auto-restarts them, so it's like an automated start\stop tug of war always going on that can drain the battery faster. To say using an app like WeKill to do one-tap kill of Facebook\Safari\Games\Apps not being used uses more battery is hogwash, :)

Okay thanks for clearing up the app killer thing. :p
I do know how fast it goes when installing tweaks. I know what ya mean there. But even when on standby it's just significantly draining. Like I had an iPT 4 (ios 5 jb) bogged with tweaks and it wasn't this bad.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
I haven't noticed any battery drain either. People complain about battery all the damn time. Unless you set up two phones the *exact* same way, and do the exact same thing with those two phones, it's impossible to compare them. Just drain your battery to 0% once a month and charge it up. You'll be right as rain.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Update: Did a fresh restore and JB. Did not restore any back up. Significantly better battery life with the same tweaks than before. I don't know what the issue was.

mamema

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
perhaps the issue was that after restoring from backup indexing starts (spotlight) which needs more battery and after restoring as new, there is no data on it to create an index for.
But believing its different now is enough to solve your pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.