Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old May 23, 2014, 11:52 PM   #1
smoketetsu
macrumors member

Metal Gear Rising for Mac Quietly Dropped Into Steam...

Now, before you get too excited it's wrapped in cider. On the other hand... it's the first japanese franchise that I know of to get an official sanctioned Mac edition out.

No news from any site that I know of so far and the mac logo hasn't been added to the steam page for it yet nor the mac system requirements.

For me personally. I've been into playing games with 5.1 channels enabled in Audio MIDI setup. Most of Feral's games and quite a few Aspyr games support it... also some indie titles and believe it or not Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed ports do.

So far no cider game has... some Wineskin games do. So it may be better for me to go play the game wrapped in that.

I previously played it in parallels and it ran fine there including with multichannel sound but it didn't support 16:9 resolutions past 720p and I heard the PC version was capped at 1080p... and my computer wouldn't give me that option. I was unable to get it to go fullscreen properly in parallels.

NO I don't do dual booting so those are my options. And yeah, long story short it (Metal Gear Rising) been quietly released for Mac tonight.

Last edited by smoketetsu; May 24, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
smoketetsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 04:37 AM   #2
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoketetsu View Post
Now, before you get too excited it's wrapped in cider. On the other hand... it's the first japanese franchise that I know of to get an official sanctioned Mac edition out.

No news from any site that I know of so far and the mac logo hasn't been added to the steam page for it yet nor the mac system requirements.

For me personally. I've been into playing games with 5.1 channels enabled in Audio MIDI setup. Most of Feral's games and quite a few Aspyr games support it... also some indie titles and believe it or not Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed ports do.

So far no cider game has... some Wineskin games do. So it may be better for me to go play the game wrapped in that.

I previously played it in parallels and it ran fine there including with multichannel sound but it didn't support 16:9 resolutions past 720p and I heard the PC version was capped at 1080p... and my computer wouldn't give me that option. I was unable to get it to go fullscreen properly in parallels.

NO I don't do dual booting so those are my options. And yeah, long story short it (Metal Gear Rising) been quietly released for Mac tonight.
It has? No news of it on my end, and reason others also aren't picked up on it is probably because it doesn't have the steam play/ mac icon or system specs. It's also not showing up as Mac compatible for me on steam.

I do hope it's true, unfortunately Konami and Japanese developers/publishers don't like YouTube media and journalism much. Although I'm checking with my network to see if I can cover it.
Although if not, it's just going on the website, that 100% Mac compatible symbol and specs is required though.
Old May 24, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3
smoketetsu
macrumors member

Just to avoid confusion it appears the cat had been let out of the bag too soon and it's been put back in its bag. The game has been pulled from Steam for now as it was prematurely released. Still, for a premature release it was pretty dang good and Mac gamers are in for a treat.

Last edited by smoketetsu; May 24, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
smoketetsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 03:50 AM   #4
insane79
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoketetsu View Post
Just to avoid confusion it appears the cat had been let out of the bag too soon and it's been put back in its bag. The game has been pulled from Steam for now as it was prematurely released. Still, for a premature release it was pretty dang good and Mac gamers are in for a treat.
nice just hope its not a lousy emulation rather then a good port..
insane79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 03:59 AM   #5
Washac
macrumors 68000

Do you really believe they do it by accident ?

I firmly believe it is done on purpose, drop a game early, then pull it, word spreads, job done, everybody wants it.
Old May 25, 2014, 05:40 AM   #6
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Do you really believe they do it by accident ?

I firmly believe it is done on purpose, drop a game early, then pull it, word spreads, job done, everybody wants it.
I can confirm it has been pulled!

I bought it last night, and this morning it's now gone! Damn it!

This is what I'm thinking, I went and right away put out a little news blurp on my site, mentioning smoketetsu.
It's not being else where from what I could find.
Old May 25, 2014, 04:57 PM   #7
smoketetsu
macrumors member

I didn't say I believed they did it by accident. I don't know how it happened... or why. I just know it did and the cats out of the bag. What I do know however, is that the Steamdb had leaked news of it prior to that because someone at inside mac games pointed it out. So even before this I knew to expect it... just not when.
Old May 26, 2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Janichsan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
nice just hope its not a lousy emulation rather then a good port..
It's Cider, so "lousy emulation".
Janichsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 04:33 PM   #9
smoketetsu
macrumors member

Having tried it I'd say it's better than Virtual Programming's offers. From the two hours I spent with it I'd go so far as to say it's their best work yet.. YMMV. Certainly better than Max Payne 3. Either way.. it's neither that lousy nor is it emulation*. If you are someone who's totally biased against wrapping technology then yes. But then again, I didn't stutter before and I did say what was used.

*Actually, emulation can produce great results. I know for some people it's a "four letter word". But depending on game, accuracy of emulation, etc. it can work. Same thing with virtualization... like Parallels\VMWare.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games