Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Is it safe to use screen cleaning fluids on other parts of ipad or iPhone like the back or sides?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Even on the non-screen parts? That only recommends you don't put it on screen parts.

A slightly dampened micro-fibre coth is all I have ever used on my Ipad's, iphones and my Macs. No chemicals of any kind. This is even more important with touchscreen products as they have an oleophobic coating. Using chemical compounds can remove this, causing damage. There is no need to clean the alloy back with anything else either.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
A slightly dampened micro-fibre coth is all I have ever used on my Ipad's, iphones and my Macs. No chemicals of any kind. This is even more important with touchscreen products as they have an oleophobic coating. Using chemical compounds can remove this, causing damage. There is no need to clean the alloy back with anything else either.

But can the alloy back be damaged by such fluids do you think even though many of these fluids say they can be used on iPads.

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
I use "Spectacle cleaning tissues" for both front and rear. They are soaked in some kind of cleaning fluid which doesn't leave any smearing and dries off in about 10 seconds. Excellent stuff and highly recommended.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
It's perfectly fine. On the screen or otherwise.
I use the stuff apple sells and recommends, funny that it contains alcohol
It has not damaged a thing.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA251ZM/A/bausch-lomb-home-and-office-cleaning-kit-6-oz
Also LensCrafters eye glass care stuff works great as does omnicleanz by RadTech. I think the cloth is the most important it needs to be soft and fine woven so that it doesn't collect dust and scratch.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even on the non-screen parts? That only recommends you don't put it on screen parts.

I don't, but if you want to, its your iPad. I don't mean to sound coy but, I'd just use a damp cloth.

Personally, I have ghost armor on my iPad (front and back) to protect it and that way I'm not too concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.