Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
UPDATE: MIME RENAMED IT TO THE GHOST GLASS

I just installed my MIME HDT-c glass screen protector. It was my first glass install, so it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close. I actually lifted the whole thing up a couple times before getting it perfectly aligned. I also used the tape trick to get dust out by lifting each corner, but I only used this to get dust out from the edges, because I didn't want to risk anything by lifting it more than a couple mm.

As for my opinion on the glass screen protector, I'm loving the change from plastic ones! The recessed home button actually feels BETTER than that small but sharp feel with plastic ones. Glass also feels better than plastic, of course. So smooth! I basically agree with all the positives of that every review says. The added weight is negligible if you ask me, and the thickness isn't a huge problem given the curved edges.

The MIME HDT-c glass screen protector is a great value, especially that warranty. Check it out!

Here's the product:
http://mimeusa.com/product/hdt-c-glass-for-iphone-5/

Here's a review:
http://www.runaroundtech.com/2013/01/12/mime-hdt-c-glass-screen-protector-for-iphone-5-review/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzkKOEBlX64

UPDATE: New review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agp1FKN4j1k

Last edited:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
New video review. He uses the same case as I do, the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. He also said she had a bubble at the bottom corner, but that's because of the case. The Belkin case's lip actually comes up over the screen, which pushes the glass screen protector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7theFGCVA

Last edited:

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for posting this. Just saw LarryGreenberg's youtube review on it, just pulled the trigger and bought one.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Whats the difference between this and the glastr?

The price.

----------

But in all seriousness, I think all the rounded-edge glass screen protectors you see are, more or less, the same thing. It's the price and the extras and warranty that they include that's the biggest difference.

And you sure do get all 3 with MIME.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Good to see it comes with a screen size dust remover. Really helps getting dust off screen to install. I have the spigen glas TR, and used a cheap screen shield that came with a case to remove the dust first.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Updated. I also recently put one on my sister's phone with a perfect install (so jealous), and it's amazing!

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
I like the name Ghost Glass better than HDT-C.
I felt like it was so close to HTC.. lol but yeah, i wonder if they're gonna release a "SLIM" version? The reviewer you just posted said it was a bit thinner than the GLAS.tR. I wonder if that's true or is it the glass quality just different.

I may pick one up soon. Gonna wait on my .t SLIM to fall apart in the future.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I like the name Ghost Glass better than HDT-C.
I felt like it was so close to HTC.. lol but yeah, i wonder if they're gonna release a "SLIM" version? The reviewer you just posted said it was a bit thinner than the GLAS.tR. I wonder if that's true or is it the glass quality just different.

I may pick one up soon. Gonna wait on my .t SLIM to fall apart in the future.

Mark Linsangan has a pretty good rep. I would trust his word. If it's true and this is slightly slimmer then the Glas.tR, then maybe the Glas.tR SLIM is the same thickness as the Ghost Glass? Spigen advertises the Glas.tR SLIM to be just 28% slimmer than the regular Glas.tR.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Mark Linsangan has a pretty good rep. I would trust his word. If it's true and this is slightly slimmer then the Glas.tR, then maybe the Glas.tR SLIM is the same thickness as the Ghost Glass? Spigen advertises the Glas.tR SLIM to be just 28% slimmer than the regular Glas.tR.

I haven't seen the GLAS.tR SLIM but you're right if it's true then it may be similar to the GLAS.tR SLIM... the GLAS.t SLIM which is on mine is really thin compared to the GLAS.t/R I wonder how durable .tR SLIM be?
My GLAS.tR SLIM seems okay so far. But my GLAS.tR in the past was superb and was sturdy until i dropped my phone in the parking lot with a slim bumper!

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
just got to know about the glass screen protector, and ready to change my old and troublesome plastic one.

Becutan

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
I am willing to give this one a try, plus they have a curved edge one so it makes it even better.

Dan Brown

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Updated. I also recently put one on my sister's phone with a perfect install (so jealous), and it's amazing!

Looks good. I bought a Good Gadget red Glass Guard screen protector instead. Love it!
Makes my iPhone pop! Got so many compliments when I'm at work and also when riding the subway.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Looks good. I bought a Good Gadget red Glass Guard screen protector instead. Love it!
Makes my iPhone pop! Got so many compliments when I'm at work and also when riding the subway.

Sounds risky. :eek:

But I'm glad you like it! The red really pops! I didn't realize how much better it felt than a plastic one until I got it.

ashfall

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Getting confused by all the different glass screen protectors.. :confused: So there are regular ones and then slim ones? and then each company has different thicknesses? Which one is the thinnest but real glass?

NRak

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Bought one last weekend, installed it on Tuesday (very simple). Bought another one Wednesday for the fiance since she liked mine so much.

Also got the Halo bumper for it. Not a bad setup with both the Ghost Glass and bumper. Although my bumper lock button went missing, but emailed them and they are sending me a whole new bumper.

Great company, and the Ghost Glass is a must have, especially with the price and replacement cost.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Do these work with the Tech21 Mesh case?

It should work. Does the lip of that case lay on top of the glass any?

Bought one last weekend, installed it on Tuesday (very simple). Bought another one Wednesday for the fiance since she liked mine so much.

Also got the Halo bumper for it. Not a bad setup with both the Ghost Glass and bumper. Although my bumper lock button went missing, but emailed them and they are sending me a whole new bumper.

Great company, and the Ghost Glass is a must have, especially with the price and replacement cost.

I was also considering the Halo bumper! And I agree. Great company and customer service!

dvhq

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
New York
Installed the MIME Ghost Glass yesterday on my iPhone, I was worried at first because I had a few bubbles when I installed it:confused: but when I woke up today I tried again and was able to press them all out.

X5EELET.png

Super happy with how it turned out!

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Installed the MIME Ghost Glass yesterday on my iPhone, I was worried at first because I had a few bubbles when I installed it:confused: but when I woke up today I tried again and was able to press them all out.

Super happy with how it turned out!

That looks like the Ghost Glass SE (non-curved edges), but that looks amazing! Great photography and good job on applying the screen protector. Makes me want their bumper, too.

dvhq

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
New York
Yessir you're right, Ghost Glass SE. Thanks, did the steamy bathroom install and everything worked out peachy. The bumper is works well for me since I just want to keep my phone scuff free:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.