Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
eric/

God Made a Factory Farmer

So the Dodge God Made a Farmer commercial generated a lot of buzz. I wanted to discuss this commercial and the effects that such a commercial have on creating misperceptions and stirring nationalistic fervor.

This link may be NSFW, but I'm not sure since I'm not very familiar with the website. The actual video isn't.

But if you can ignore the annoying voice over and attempt at comedy, I think it's actually a pretty good satire on the commercial and the notion of the hard working American farmer that builds America that the Dodge commercial attempted to portray. Especially funny because Dodge is a company that was mismanaged into bankruptcy. What do they know about this?

This is the video The website is "funnyordie.com".
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
So the Dodge God Made a Farmer commercial generated a lot of buzz. I wanted to discuss this commercial and the effects that such a commercial have on creating misperceptions and stirring nationalistic fervor.

This link may be NSFW, but I'm not sure since I'm not very familiar with the website. The actual video isn't.

But if you can ignore the annoying voice over and attempt at comedy, I think it's actually a pretty good satire on the commercial and the notion of the hard working American farmer that builds America that the Dodge commercial attempted to portray. Especially funny because Dodge is a company that was mismanaged into bankruptcy. What do they know about this?

This is the video The website is "funnyordie.com".
This is pretty good. My favorite line "the word farmer still evokes salt-of-the-earth American gothic imagery and, from that standpoint that would be a helpful thing to associate with an auto-maker that nearly went bankrupt due to mismanagement."

That and the quip about Mexicans.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Very confused if first two posters realize that the commercial they are talking about is the parody of the real commercial. Real spot can be found here:

http://youtu.be/AMpZ0TGjbWE
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Very confused if first two posters realize that the commercial they are talking about is the parody of the real commercial. Real spot can be found here:

http://youtu.be/AMpZ0TGjbWE
No we know it's a parody. I was bringing it up because I thought that it was a good satire on the original commercial.
eric/ is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Hilarious parody. (The original was the most annoying ad I've seen in the past year, and, considering the 2012 election, that is saying something.)
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No we know it's a parody. I was bringing it up because I thought that it was a good satire on the original commercial.
Oh good. I was worried for a second!
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
This is pretty good. My favorite line "the word farmer still evokes salt-of-the-earth American gothic imagery and, from that standpoint that would be a helpful thing to associate with an auto-maker that nearly went bankrupt due to mismanagement."

That and the quip about Mexicans.
I think the parody had a better style of narration. The original really should have been voiced by Wilford Brimley. I kind of wondered if the parody would go further in that direction once they mentioned HFCS and Mountain Dew.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:02 PM   #8
eric/

Also, i just want to point out that there are very, very many good farmers and they are good people. They work hard, and love what they do. So this isn't a slight against them or anything, just the commercial and Dodge being the one who made it, and a good illustration of the lies being told to the American people.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Dodge isn't selling their truck to the 1% of Americans who make their living farming.

Dodge is selling their truck to the Americans who are delusional enough to believe that they need a full-sized truck to survive in suburbia ... a truck that gets 16.8 mpg with gasoline over $3 per gallon ... but at least it makes them feel rugged and manly.
citizenzen is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Dodge isn't selling their truck to the 1% of Americans who make their living farming.

Dodge is selling their truck to the Americans who are delusional enough to believe that they need a full-sized truck to survive in suburbia ... a truck that gets 16.8 mpg with gasoline over $3 per gallon ... but at least it makes them feel rugged and manly.
That would be 16.8 hwy, it looks like most of them get around 12~13 city. Except diesels, those can get as high as 18 on the highway.

If that is not the actual tool you need, seems like a pretty penny to be pouring down the toilet.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Also, i just want to point out that there are very, very many good farmers and they are good people. They work hard, and love what they do. So this isn't a slight against them or anything, just the commercial and Dodge being the one who made it, and a good illustration of the lies being told to the American people.
Do you have any idea who Paul Harvey was? During his prime, break time coincided with his " Rest of the Story". He was way more powerful than Rush Limbaugh or any other conservative Talking Head can ever hope to be. Why? Because he was polite, because he found the good in people. I doubt that he would have appreciated the Dodge ad but he would have been horrified that you don't know who he was or the contribution he made to conservative talk radio. The older I got the less I agreed with him but his voice carried a certain gravitas that is never found outside PBS or NPR today.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:

You do realize that trucks have a purpose other than working on a farm right? I'm not a farmer but I still need a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
That would be 16.8 hwy, it looks like most of them get around 12~13 city. Except diesels, those can get as high as 18 on the highway.

If that is not the actual tool you need, seems like a pretty penny to be pouring down the toilet.
Diesels are capable of higher than 18 also.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 AM   #13
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
You do realize that trucks have a purpose other than working on a farm right? I'm not a farmer but I still need a truck.
Yet they are not as popular in Europe.

How do you suppose they carry and tow things?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:49 AM   #14
eric/

Quote:

Good question.

For example, where I live a lot of people ride dirt bikes and ATVs through trails, and there are a few lakes here so people need a truck to pull their boat.

I've never been to Europe, do they share the same enthusiasm and culture for these vehicles?

Is it typical for somebody to hook their boat up to a truck and haul it down to a lake in France? Or maybe spend the weekend camping and riding ATVs?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:12 AM   #15
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:

I wouldn't know. How do they tow things? With a Prius?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:26 AM   #16
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Oh...here is how they tow in the UK

YouTube: video
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:36 AM   #17
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:

So what is your issue here? Dodge, which is in the business of trying to sell trucks? Or is it how someone, whether you think they need one or not, is buying them with their money?
haxrnick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #18
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
So what is your issue here?
Mostly the image that Americans fancy of themselves.

It doesn't serve us well.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:07 PM   #19
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Video is spot on BTW. I do respect the American farmer, but big business has turned them into dependents now.

interesting read here.
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic...soybean-farmer
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #20
StruckANerve
macrumors 6502

I like this one. No I'm not christian but some of the things he says still resonate with most people today.

StruckANerve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:08 PM   #21
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Mostly the image that Americans fancy of themselves.

It doesn't serve us well.

I drive a truck and i'm not a farmer...what image do I fancy of myself?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I don't think truck drivers or farmers use the word fancy very much.
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:02 PM   #23
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm not a mind-reader muddy.

But I am in marketing.

They don't portray truck drivers as rugged, manly men for nothing.

Hint: it makes their customer believe that they are manly men too.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:42 PM   #24
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
They don't portray truck drivers as rugged, manly men for nothing.
Contractors frequently own trucks, including light pickups much of the time. That's one of the more common semi-urban examples that comes to mind.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:48 PM   #25
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
I wouldn't know. How do they tow things? With a Prius?
You didn't tell me how they tow things....like a 5th wheel or haul a truck camper...without a truck.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues