Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
IPadNParadise
macrumors regular

Backup Question

I do not have an external device yet to backup my MBP. Only had the MBP 2 weeks but I know, I see everywhere here that it is important to back it up.

So as I was backing up my iPad to this MBP for the first time and had to disable iCloud backup on it to be able to do the backup in iTunes on my MBP, I got to wondering....iCloud backs up my photos, music and documents so it seems as if I needed to worry about an offsite storage of a backup.

Not to be confusing here, let's just talk about the MBP. Seems as if iCloud for internal backup and an external hard rive backup stored offsite would handle it. Why would I want an external hard drive to use with Time Machine plus iCloud, if I was going to keep the EHD connected all the time and not stored offsite.
IPadNParadise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPadNParadise View Post
I do not have an external device yet to backup my MBP. Only had the MBP 2 weeks but I know, I see everywhere here that it is important to back it up.

So as I was backing up my iPad to this MBP for the first time and had to disable iCloud backup on it to be able to do the backup in iTunes on my MBP, I got to wondering....iCloud backs up my photos, music and documents so it seems as if I needed to worry about an offsite storage of a backup.

Not to be confusing here, let's just talk about the MBP. Seems as if iCloud for internal backup and an external hard rive backup stored offsite would handle it. Why would I want an external hard drive to use with Time Machine plus iCloud, if I was going to keep the EHD connected all the time and not stored offsite.
First on your iPad backup, you can leave the iCloud backup on and click the button I marked in iTunes to do a manual backup of your iPad.

That creates a file on your MBP that is a complete, restorable backup of the iPad.

From there, I would just purchase an external USB drive to use with Time Machine to backup your computer. Some people buy two drives and rotate one off site once a week or so. Time Machine can handle multiple backup disks like this.

Thumb resize.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help