Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
So, when comparing an iPhone 2G and 3G everybody says the audio quality is so much better on the 3G! Is this true only when using the speaker? When using earbuds should the audio quality sound clearer and louder still on the 3G than the 2G? Or the same? Nobody seems to analyze this about the two phones! Please let me know, this is a deciding factor! Thanks!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Earphones are the same, the sound quality is the same, depends on your earphones/headset.

my 2G was, and still is, louder than the 3G and 3GS i had on speaker (my mum is using my 2G now, loved the weight and metal casing and solid feeling of that 1st gen iPhone, none of them have felt the same since, in fact the plastic backed 3g and 3gs both crumbled in under a year, never bothered with either iPhone 4, to easy to break the glass, and the 5 chips paint like nothing on earth from what I've seen all my co-workers and friends who have shown me how there phones are doing now since launch)

only problem i had with the 2G was the little holes at the bottom for the 2nd speaker output/mic input kept filling with crap, so gently filed them out so each hole joined one of its neighbours, no crap in holes now, works fine and is loud both on speaker, and when held to the ear

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
What about in comparison to 3G?

So is the iPhone 2G audio quality going to be the same as the 3G's? I wonder why Apple would never change that aspect of their phones..

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So is the iPhone 2G audio quality going to be the same as the 3G's? I wonder why Apple would never change that aspect of their phones..

No, the iPhone 2G uses a different audio chip than the iPhone 3G. The 2G's sounds nicer in most people's opinions.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Thanks everyone!! One last question..

Thank you so much for everyone's help! I feel a lot more comfortable about buying this iPhone from my friend now. It will make a good iPod :) I just have this one last question...? Will it download older versions of apps for me? For example if the third version of an app isn't compatible from iTunes, will I get the first edition? Is the same thing true for cydia? I want those cydia apps that change the carrier name and YouMail. Thanks!

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Thank you so much for everyone's help! I feel a lot more comfortable about buying this iPhone from my friend now. It will make a good iPod :) I just have this one last question...? Will it download older versions of apps for me? For example if the third version of an app isn't compatible from iTunes, will I get the first edition? Is the same thing true for cydia? I want those cydia apps that change the carrier name and YouMail. Thanks!

Apps from iTunes doubt it.Gave my brother my old iTouch 1st gen he deleted an app and we couldn't get it back until we synced up with my old mac

JummpyXMPP

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
It might help to provide more information about one's particular handset as the components from one line to another vary and you might be comparing DSP oranges to DSP pickles

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.