Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:31 AM   #1
HurtinMinorKey
macrumors 6502

The Blizzard of 2013 (Nemo) Time lapse

I did a time lapse of the effects of the blizzard at Lechmere Station in Cambridge, MA from 10am to 6pm.

This was done using relatively short exposures taken every 30 seconds. Normally i'd try and stick to a 180 degree shutter angle, but to do so in this situation would have blurred the scene because of the sheets of snow.

I used a 5D mkii shooting sraw on a 100mm 2.8L Macro. Iso ranging from 100-3200, F-stop: 11-7.1 . Using a Mac Book Pro (Fall 2011 13inch) I exported the video from Lightroom 3 using custom slideshow preferences.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism (or even just S___ talk since i'm usually hypercritical of everything).

Note: you should download the original MP4 to get the preferred viewing experience.
HurtinMinorKey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:39 AM   #2
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

That's what you call a blizzard in New England!?

Nice time lapse by the way.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:28 AM   #3
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Look what I woke up to! This is about 20 min away from Boston.

Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:33 AM   #4
HurtinMinorKey
macrumors 6502

^ what a nightmare. You spend 2 hours digging out your car, only to have some one steal your space immediately after you leave.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

No video in Vimeo and you web page is silent.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
NeGRit0
macrumors 6502a

The last five seconds seem under exposed.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post

I did a time lapse of the effects of the blizzard at Lechmere Station in Cambridge, MA from 10am to 6pm.

This was done using relatively short exposures taken every 30 seconds. Normally i'd try and stick to a 180 degree shutter angle, but to do so in this situation would have blurred the scene because of the sheets of snow.

I used a 5D mkii shooting sraw on a 100mm 2.8L Macro. Iso ranging from 100-3200, F-stop: 11-7.1 . Using a Mac Book Pro (Fall 2011 13inch) I exported the video from Lightroom 3 using custom slideshow preferences.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism (or even just S___ talk since i'm usually hypercritical of everything).

Note: you should download the original MP4 to get the preferred viewing experience.
Good idea. Appreciate the effort. But it stopped when it's getting good.

Improvement ideas: I would have let it continue to run all night and through the morning. Night shots can be better exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
No video in Vimeo and you web page is silent.
You need to mouse over what looks like an image on vimeo page to show player GUI. (Sometimes you need to click on it first). Yeah it's confusing.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
HurtinMinorKey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Good idea. Appreciate the effort. But it stopped when it's getting good.

Improvement ideas: I would have let it continue to run all night and through the morning. Night shots can be better exposed.
Thank you for your comments. I was hoping Mother Nature would cooperate and that the heart of the storm would arrive a little earlier. But i actually like how it goes dark at the end, since that's what the view looked like.

I couldn't go all night because i didn't have an automatic timer (won't make that mistake again ). Also, I left out a bunch of shots at the end, because between the darkness and the increased snowfall it was impossible to get anything usable over night.

The real challenge was the distance of the subject, which is about 400 Meters away. Thats a lot of snowfall between me and the subject. It essentially prevented me from using longer exposures as it got darker.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #9
HurtinMinorKey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeGRit0 View Post
The last five seconds seem under exposed.

Believe it or not, that was done intentionally. That's essentially what it looked like from my vantage point.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video