Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Amrives
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thumbs up I Just Bought a MacBook Air... and Love it!

If anyone is reading these threads because they are considering buying a MacBook Air, whether it be 13" or 11", just pull the trigger. It's a beast. This computer is on fire.

I have the 11" 1.7ghz i5 128gb 8gb RAM model. I got it right at $875 and man i could not be happier for what I got it for. It will carry out all the needs of my girlfriend while she is at school and in class and when she gets home i can leave my 2.3 i7 Mac Mini plugged into the TV downstairs and take the Air upstairs and use my audio interfaces with no lag and great response. Runs Logic and Ableton like a champ. I haven't had a chance to game at all on this laptop so if anyone wants to give me some advice on a good game I can play in relatively high graphics that would be nice, but I LOVE THIS LITTLE COMPUTER!
Amrives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
David58117
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Where did you get it from for that price!!?

I got the basic 64 gig 11inch for 605 and thought that was a steal..

Anyway, even the base model is definitely a nice computer, and a beast considering what many other people currently use..
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Whatever config you get, these things are so awesome. They're so tiny, yet so powerful.

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
Late 2013 rMBP 13 i5/16gb/512gb SSD
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
rufhausen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
I was thinking about posting a similar thread. I just received a refurbished 2012 13" i5 with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD and I would describe it as the perfect laptop. Plenty of power, fast, and light.
I wish I had gotten it sooner.
__________________
64GB iPhone 6 | Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro | iPad Air (work)
twitter|flickr|thereluctantdeveloper.com
rufhausen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
If u wanto keep gushing about ur purchase, I suggest staying away from the latest & greatest games 'coz the fan is gonna come on real loud and hot. Just saying. ^)
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:29 PM   #6
rufhausen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
If u wanto keep gushing about ur purchase, I suggest staying away from the latest & greatest games 'coz the fan is gonna come on real loud and hot. Just saying. ^)
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a MBA to play games. That's not its purpose.
__________________
64GB iPhone 6 | Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro | iPad Air (work)
twitter|flickr|thereluctantdeveloper.com
rufhausen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Vikinguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
The SSD doesn't really shine until you've had it for a couple of weeks. Then you really start to notice just how blazing it is.
Vikinguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
If u wanto keep gushing about ur purchase, I suggest staying away from the latest & greatest games 'coz the fan is gonna come on real loud and hot. Just saying. ^)

I run all the latest and greatest games and my MBA does not have this issue. Probably becuase I've got a Windows PC with an i7 and GTX 680 for that. Point being, no one buys an MBA as a gaming computer.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
I run all the latest and greatest games and my MBA does not have this issue. Probably becuase I've got a Windows PC with an i7 and GTX 680 for that. Point being, no one buys an MBA as a gaming computer.
Tell that to OP.

U saw her blonde beauty, u finally marry her, but for God's safe do not ask her what she thinks about particle physics!
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
alan7467
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrives View Post
If anyone is reading these threads because they are considering buying a MacBook Air, whether it be 13" or 11", just pull the trigger. It's a beast. This computer is on fire.

I have the 11" 1.7ghz i5 128gb 8gb RAM model. I got it right at $875 and man i could not be happier for what I got it for. It will carry out all the needs of my girlfriend while she is at school and in class and when she gets home i can leave my 2.3 i7 Mac Mini plugged into the TV downstairs and take the Air upstairs and use my audio interfaces with no lag and great response. Runs Logic and Ableton like a champ. I haven't had a chance to game at all on this laptop so if anyone wants to give me some advice on a good game I can play in relatively high graphics that would be nice, but I LOVE THIS LITTLE COMPUTER!
If the 13" is any indication it sounds like you should be able to run source games really well (portal, half life). It also sounds like star craft 2 runs well.
alan7467 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Talon Six
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Gulf Coast
I also jumped on the 13" MBA bandwagon last week. I'm headed overseas for a one-year job, and the Mac mini + TB Display would be a bit much to haul around. Enter the MBA. I've been extremely pleased with it's performance so far and the price was very good - got it from Macmall with that sale they had going last week and wound up paying USD $1610 for the 13" i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

Of course the accessorizing bug set in right away and I've got a Bookbook and an STM Velo bag en route. I'm still on the hunt for speakers and I'm leaning toward the JBL Flip.

My only minor complaint is the screen brightness, but I've been spoiled for the last year by the TB display.
Talon Six is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:27 PM   #12
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Tell that to OP.

U saw her blonde beauty, u finally marry her, but for God's safe do not ask her what she thinks about particle physics!
If he's expecting "relatively high graphics" on newer more demanding games, he will certainly be disappointed and bought the wrong machine in every sense (wrong form factor in being an ultrabook, wrong operating system)

Something like Counter Strike on high settings is certainly possible. But if you want to play Black Ops 2, BF3, Assassins Creed 3, Crysis etc etc, yeah... Not going to happen on high.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Kushp14
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Yeah the air has gotten better and now is the best for the price ,the SSD is awesome and fast.
Kushp14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Karr271
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Where did you get it from for that price!!?

I got the basic 64 gig 11inch for 605 and thought that was a steal..

Anyway, even the base model is definitely a nice computer, and a beast considering what many other people currently use..
Did you buy it online? I'm interested in an 11" and that's a great price!
Karr271 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought Macbook Air but Getting Eyestrain hbksabhi MacBook Air 33 Oct 12, 2013 02:41 AM
Bought a Macbook Air on eBay. Redrum509 Buying Tips and Advice 5 Mar 30, 2013 12:10 PM
Bought wife a Macbook Air tawcat Mac Basics and Help 1 Jan 22, 2013 04:19 AM
Just bought MacBook Air... How to update to 10.8.2? Farplaner MacBook Air 10 Dec 20, 2012 03:09 PM
Bought MacBook Air. What accessories? TheLuckyOne01 Buying Tips and Advice 3 Aug 22, 2012 10:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC