Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
It was completely submerged for about a second, quickly fished it out and turned it off within 5 seconds. Ran to the nearest tissue box and dried the outside, now it's lying inside a bowl of rice. Anything else I can do to try and make it survive?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
At this point there isn't much else you can do (you did everything you should've). Just make sure to leave it in the rice for at least 24 hours (I would say 48 hours to be on the safe side) and hope for the best.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
The chances of it surviving would be much better if the battery was removable. As said you've done all you can do at this point.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
How often do iP5s survive complete submersions? I heard they had some aqua repel thing? And i saw the video where it's still playing a video just fine under water, and didn't die until it was boiled.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
How often do iP5s survive complete submersions? I heard they had some aqua repel thing? And i saw the video where it's still playing a video just fine under water, and didn't die until it was boiled.

They generally do very poorly, problems my show up over time as minerals and salts in the water do their thing.

Leo Laporte had an iPhone with Aqua repel (or similar) it died quick death in a glass of water.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York

The iPhone 5 itself is pretty shrouded, due to the lighting connector...
I would kinda be surprised if your iPhone wouldn't make it.
Many of my friends still handle w/ their iPhones even though they dropped it multiple times in water haha^^
But maybe they are just lucky, hope yours will make it.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys, and I just read that the rice bowl should actually be closed, is this true? I'm using an open bowl.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Yes, putting it in a closed container will help.

The longer you are willing to wait the better. 48 hours minimum.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The iPhone 5 itself is pretty shrouded, due to the lighting connector...
I would kinda be surprised if your iPhone wouldn't make it.
Many of my friends still handle w/ their iPhones even though they dropped it multiple times in water haha^^
But maybe they are just lucky, hope yours will make it.

Bear in mind there are holes for the speaker, etc.

If it doesn't die now, it will probably die a slow death in the future.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I half-submerged my iPhone 5 in a cocktail 9 days ago.

It was only in the liquid for around a second and amazingly, it took no damage whatsoever. The liquid contact indicator wasn't touched and there appears to be zero corrosion, everything is working normally. I did quickly dry it out, but I didn't turn it off or anything.

I just wanted to share my experience to offer some hope. While our incidents are clearly a bit different, the phones seem reasonably resistant to fast dunks in liquid... although I'm hardly recommending it, of course. :rolleyes:

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I'm trying to look inside the sim thing for the water sensor, but I don't see anything, white or red. How obvious is it to see?

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I've also used combination of hair dryer and rice..kept in rice for few hours, and blown hot air for 1 min, break 30 secs break.....
like that for about 10 times..again few hours in rice..spent day and half to get my iPhone 4 in perfectly working condition.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I watched the cnet torture test for iPhone 5 and it survived 2 hours in a freezer, one hour in an oven at 200°, under water with the screen on for a certain time then put in a bag for 2 days, several drop tests, and a bonus washing machine cycle inside a pair of jeans (which is soon fell out of). I'm not the wreck less type but the phone can endure some elements and I'd say you'd have a decent shot at having it come on.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys, but about that water sensor? I'm trying to look all around inside the sim hole and I don't seem to see anything, white or red. Can someone take a picture of theirs maybe?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
As others have said, you have done what you need to do. Now you just have to wait awhile, at least 48 hours. I hope your iPhone is ok.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
The liquid contact indicator is in the middle of white disc on the upper side of the SIM slot, so that's the side that the display is on, the front of the phone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Yeah I've seen that article, and I just can't see anything. No white disc, no red disc. I just see a hole right in the exact spot where it looks like the indicator should be. Could the phone have been made without an indicator? It was one of the earlier ones when Apple hadn't gotten their **** together.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Typing this from my phone, so glad to have my baby back and amazing that it can survive a full dip in water. I still don't understand why I don't have a water sensor in my sim tray though...

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The the bag with rice and phone in the sun. You need heat to force the water trapped in the phone t evaporate into the rice.

I revived a completely soaked Kindle Fire with this method. Put it in the back seat of my car next to the rear window for about 8 hours.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
If you dropped it in fresh water, I would expect a more or less full recovery. Salt water is a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.