Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:54 AM   #1
aymeee
macrumors newbie

Buying Question - 2011 iMac 21.5'' 3.6GHz, Intel Core 5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8, good?

Hi everybody! I'm new here and have recently been trying to purchase a used iMac.

I came across someone selling one with these specs:

2011 iMac 21.5'' 3.6gHz, intel core 5, 8gb RAM, OSX 10.6.8
comes with bluetooth keyboard but wired mouse.

I'm not sure if this is good for what I will be using the computer for. I will be using it primarily for work in adobe photoshop, illustrator, after effects, and video.

The price I was given was $750 and I have no idea what a computer with those specs is going for. Is that good or should I keep looking?

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
aymeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:18 AM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

If....

that computer is a iMac, mid-2010 (last I remember with a 3.6 GHz processor), then you are having a good deal. But still, good care of the machine, no cosmetic and functional issues, and some AppleCare left dont hurt...If the computer has the 1 TB stock disk, maybe you have to upgrade it, because media files can be big. And going up to the 16 GB of RAM can be also a toughtful investment. I will not pay more than $800-900 in that machine, FYI...

Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymeee View Post
Hi everybody! I'm new here and have recently been trying to purchase a used iMac.

I'm not sure if this is good for what I will be using the computer for. I will be using it primarily for work in adobe photoshop, illustrator, after effects, and video.

The price I was given was $750 and I have no idea what a computer with those specs is going for. Is that good or should I keep looking?

I would drop the offer a bit since the owner is keeping the magic mouse that it came with. I know it's just a personal preference, but when the machine comes with the wireless keyboard and magic mouse, I would include them in the sale.

And as previous poster said, upgrade the RAM, but as of right now since you can find firewire drives cheaper than usual, get a high capacity external firewire drive and you should be good to go. Upgrade the internal HDD later.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Magic Mouse sells for $40 + used
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:

That's a Mid 2010 model. It's possible that it was purchased in 2011 before the release of the Mid 2011 models, but still be advised. For that price, it's not bad; though it's still a 2009-2011 iMac, and thusly an unreliable Mac compared to literally every other Mac made in that time period.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Magic Mouse sells for $40 + used
And even though $40 is arguably inexpensive, it's still an extra expense. I don't use my original mouse with the trackball because the trackball gets annoying and doesn't stay clean. With the MM or MT, at least they stay clean and continue to work.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
That's a Mid 2010 model. It's possible that it was purchased in 2011 before the release of the Mid 2011 models, but still be advised. For that price, it's not bad; though it's still a 2009-2011 iMac, and thusly an unreliable Mac compared to literally every other Mac made in that time period.
What makes that Mac, since it's a 2009-2011 iMac, an unreliable Mac compared to literally every other Mac made in that time period?

I have an early 2009 iMac that's still working properly. My wife has a late 2009 iMac that is also working properly and normally and actually didn't end up needing AppleCare either.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
And even though $40 is arguably inexpensive, it's still an extra expense. I don't use my original mouse with the trackball because the trackball gets annoying and doesn't stay clean. With the MM or MT, at least they stay clean and continue to work.
O yeah - I totally agree - I think if they dont include the magic mouse the price should be less.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Hey OP,

Is the seller going to give you the original Snow Leopard discs as well? If not, I would pass on the deal, even thought the price seems to be good. I would start to question the seller's motives and intentions if things that were included with the original purchase(especially with such a new computer) are not being included in this sale.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice