Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Newjackboy
macrumors member

Just tried out Nexus 4 for a week - but sticking with iPhone 5

I got hold of a Nexus 4 - first time I've had a proper go at android.

Immediately impressed with the size and feel of the device. Other pro's include:

a) much much better keyboard. It could be argued that iphone currently has the worst keyboard of any flagship phone. It need a big upgrade.

b) App switcher is great. Got used to it quickly

c) Like the widgets. Some are really useful, especially the twitter and email snapshop ones

d) Love being able to quickly install XBMC (can now do that with a JB iphone)

e) The android yahoo mail app allows multiple accounts. Wonder why the ios version does not?

Overall, I am still keeping my iphone 5. Syncs well with my pad and atv. Apps of a much higher quality and design. Better resale value. Feels safer in terms of security.

Next ios version just needs better widgets,toggles,keyboard.

Next hardware redesign should be widened slightly- even to 4.2 or 4.3" would make the world of difference
Newjackboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

Kudos to you for giving Android a good amount of time and trying it yourself. For me, I still have my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4-- I like having the option between two phones and although the Nexus has become my daily driver, there's always a chance I'll miss iOS in the future

For $300 the Nexus really is a steal. Battery life could be better but it lasts me a whole day, so I really can't complain.
Mxbzz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:37 PM   #3
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
I got hold of a Nexus 4 - first time I've had a proper go at android.

Immediately impressed with the size and feel of the device. Other pro's include:

a) much much better keyboard. It could be argued that iphone currently has the worst keyboard of any flagship phone. It need a big upgrade.

b) App switcher is great. Got used to it quickly

c) Like the widgets. Some are really useful, especially the twitter and email snapshop ones

d) Love being able to quickly install XBMC (can now do that with a JB iphone)

e) The android yahoo mail app allows multiple accounts. Wonder why the ios version does not?

Overall, I am still keeping my iphone 5. Syncs well with my pad and atv. Apps of a much higher quality and design. Better resale value. Feels safer in terms of security.

Next ios version just needs better widgets,toggles,keyboard.

Next hardware redesign should be widened slightly- even to 4.2 or 4.3" would make the world of difference
The iPhone does have allow you to have multiple emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
We are of course dealing with personal opinions, but absolutely love the iPhone keyboard and have found it to be the best. It's hard for me to describe why, but I've tried multiple smartphones with physical and on-screen keyboards and none have felt as 'right' as the iPhone's.

Just my opinion.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:52 PM   #5
oplix
macrumors 65816

wouldn't the biggest reason be the largest deficit of data speed between the ip5 and n4? After my ip5 I can't go back to any non-lte device.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
We are of course dealing with personal opinions, but absolutely love the iPhone keyboard and have found it to be the best. It's hard for me to describe why, but I've tried multiple smartphones with physical and on-screen keyboards and none have felt as 'right' as the iPhone's.

Just my opinion.
I agree, I left my 3Gs and have had 3 different androids the latest being the S3 and out of all of them I think the iPhone has the best keyboard! So happy to be back with the iPhone 5!
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplix View Post
wouldn't the biggest reason be the largest deficit of data speed between the ip5 and n4? After my ip5 I can't go back to any non-lte device.
While there was a difference, it wasn't enough to make it a dealbreaker. I'd say the Nexus 4 takes another half second-second to load a page which is completely fine, for me at least.

Same goes with streaming content, it takes a second or two longer to buffer but by no means is it slow.
Mxbzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
big samm
macrumors 6502a

I also have a iphone 5 and a Nexus 4 and love both devices... Really like the app integration on android, apps do look more polish on the iphone... At the end of the day it's a matter of preference... They both have their pros and cons, im just happy i have both 😊
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:21 AM   #9
CEmajr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplix View Post
Depends on your carrier. On AT&T and Tmobile the hspa+ speeds on the Nexus are pretty fast. It even has DC-Hspa+ on Tmobile. On the CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint, LTE is a major upgrade in speed over their 3G networks.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:00 PM   #10
pdxmatts
macrumors 6502a

I bought the Nexus 4 from Google Play 16gb and I have had tons of experience with Android, but I chose to keep the iPhone 5 and give the Nexus to my husband. The Nexus feels better in the hand and the big screen is nice and it is fast, but I still like IOS over Android. With the Jailbreak and the nice tweaks fixing any complaints I had about the iPhone, I decided to keep it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxbzz View Post
Kudos to you for giving Android a good amount of time and trying it yourself. For me, I still have my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4-- I like having the option between two phones and although the Nexus has become my daily driver, there's always a chance I'll miss iOS in the future

For $300 the Nexus really is a steal. Battery life could be better but it lasts me a whole day, so I really can't complain.
How do you switch with the IP5 having a nano sim???
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
How do you switch with the IP5 having a nano sim???
microSIM/nano SIM adapter
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:20 PM   #13
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

I just pulled the trigger on a 16 GB Nexus 4. Bought it from Google and will activate it on a T-Mobile prepaid plan. Switching from the original EVO on Sprint.

What did me in? Two things. First, the unacceptably slow pace of Sprint's 3G upgrades and 4G buildout. Second, the crapware that Sprint loaded on the EVO and continues to with other phones. It also didn't hurt that I'll save $27/month.

I looked at the iPhone 5, but I wanted a bigger display. Great phone; just not for me.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:39 PM   #14
TroyBoy30
macrumors 65816

Quote:

i had a gnex for 8 months and i have a note ii now. i found the exact opposite. all keyboards for android sucked. swype was my fav but IMO the apple keyboard is the best
TroyBoy30 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:59 PM   #15
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
all keyboards for android sucked.
I tried Keypoint Technologies' Adaptxt. I liked it, especially the selection of dictionaries, but I had to uninstall it because it can't be moved to the memory card, and Sprint's bloatware leaves little room in the internal memory. I'll probably try it again when the Nexus 4 arrives.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Itxdjx
macrumors member

Ill buy your nexus ; )
Itxdjx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #17
RenoG
macrumors 65816

I have no real desire to go Android, however out of curiosity i wouldn't mind trying it out. Now would be the best time for me to do so since I'm using the old 3G until the 5s hits shelf..Maybe a Galaxy something or Nexus something..
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

It's nice to see people give other platforms a try before writing them off. I previously had a GS3, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I swapped that for an 8X so I could try out Windows Phone 8. Currently I swap between the 8X and my 4S pretty regularly. Personally I prefer the WP keyboard, but the iOS one is still pretty good.
Agent-P is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:42 PM   #19
Newjackboy
macrumors member

Its a no brainer to check out the new nexus 4

Buy it from google play store. You have 15 days to test it out. Then just return it for full refund.

Your would only "lose" the original shipping cost. There should be no restocking fee for this item
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #20
cole01
macrumors 6502

Yeah, for me...iPhone keyboard is way better than anything else out there. Maybe it's because I've been using iOS since the 1.0 days but I type very quickly and accurately on an iPhone as opposed to Android.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:16 PM   #21
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

It is nice to have choices. Get what works best for you.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:28 PM   #22
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

How does everyone type on their keyboards, two thumbs, one hand/one thumb, index finger or ?

I found my iPhone 5 faster to type in one hand with my thumb but my Nexus 4 is faster to type on using both thumbs compared to my iPhone, probably the added width makes it sit better in my palms when using both thumbs.
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #23
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502

They have the iphone keyboard in the play store.
vikingjunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
How does everyone type on their keyboards, two thumbs, one hand/one thumb, index finger or ?
For both my devices I try to type with two thumbs if possible. If I only have one hand available, I prefer my right as I am a faster typer with it than my left thumb. In absolute extreme circumstances I've had to use my nose before.

I have never seen anyone using their index finger to type. But then again, I guess I wouldn't expect to see that on a college campus.
Agent-P is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 AM   #25
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Its a no brainer to check out the new nexus 4

Buy it from google play store. You have 15 days to test it out. Then just return it for full refund.

Your would only "lose" the original shipping cost. There should be no restocking fee for this item
Took me 3 months to get my refund for the Nexus 7 from the Playstore. Never again.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone