not without LTE support it's not
TroyBoy30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:43 AM   #27
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
I feel like this is made out to be a much bigger deal than it really is. 90% of the time I am on wifi, and when I am not 5mbps down on 3G is plenty fast. The only real difference I notice is when I am downloading apps...LTE is much faster. Browsing wise I feel like it is a very small difference.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 AM   #28
gottan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
I agree, I left my 3Gs and have had 3 different androids the latest being the S3 and out of all of them I think the iPhone has the best keyboard! So happy to be back with the iPhone 5!
For me the best keyboard is Swiftkey 3 and thats one of the biggest advantages of Android you can change the keyboard and not only use the default one...
gottan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 AM   #29
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The Nexus 4 supports LTE band 4. It's not activated out of the box. It's up to Google and individual carriers whether to turn it on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I feel like this is made out to be a much bigger deal than it really is.
Agreed. I bought the Nexus 4 knowing that HSPA+ -- especially DC on TMO -- will be plenty fast for my needs. If LTE is turned on, great. If not, HSPA+ DC is more than sufficient.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:23 AM   #30
NewAnger
Banned

I'm trying to decide on getting a SG2 for free or a Nexus 4 for $49 at T-mobile.

I don't ever plan on being without an iPhone until Apple stops making them, I'm just looking to have some fun with an Android as well.

I'll probably end going for the Nexus since everything I read says it will be the first phone to get all new updates.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #31
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
I'm trying to decide on getting a SG2 for free or a Nexus 4 for $49 at T-mobile.

I don't ever plan on being without an iPhone until Apple stops making them, I'm just looking to have some fun with an Android as well.

I'll probably end going for the Nexus since everything I read says it will be the first phone to get all new updates.
Nexus all day everyday.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:19 AM   #32
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Nexus all day everyday.
Done and ordered. $49 phone, free activation, free over night shipping. That was an offer I could not refuse. I would be insane.

After rebate, phone is free.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #33
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
I feel like this is made out to be a much bigger deal than it really is. 90% of the time I am on wifi, and when I am not 5mbps down on 3G is plenty fast. The only real difference I notice is when I am downloading apps...LTE is much faster. Browsing wise I feel like it is a very small difference.
I can see your point for anyone who is, in fact, on wifi 90% of the time. Many of us are not. And on AT&T, getting 5mb on 3G (or fauxG) is wildly optimistic. For me, lte has changed the mobile experience entirely.
QCassidy352 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:42 AM   #34
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
I can see your point for anyone who is, in fact, on wifi 90% of the time. Many of us are not. And on AT&T, getting 5mb on 3G (or fauxG) is wildly optimistic. For me, lte has changed the mobile experience entirely.
It definitely depends on where you live. I get 5-7 down on ATT, and my brother-in-law gets 35 down on t-mobile HSPA+ (or whatever their step below LTE is).....that is better than my ATT LTE speeds.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:03 AM   #35
TroyBoy30
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It definitely depends on where you live. I get 5-7 down on ATT, and my brother-in-law gets 35 down on t-mobile HSPA+ (or whatever their step below LTE is).....that is better than my ATT LTE speeds.
here is mine on att's lte

Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:27 AM   #36
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
here is mine on att's lte

damn. I just ran one and got 29 and that is in atlanta =/
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:00 AM   #37
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
We are of course dealing with personal opinions, but absolutely love the iPhone keyboard and have found it to be the best. It's hard for me to describe why, but I've tried multiple smartphones with physical and on-screen keyboards and none have felt as 'right' as the iPhone's.

Just my opinion.
I agree 100%. I messed around with the SG3 keyboard and even tried out an HTC OneX+ for about 2 weeks and missed the iPhone keyboard tremendously and it's such a big part in using a smartphone. It's 1 of the reasons I came back to the iPhone.
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:33 PM   #38
Opstech
macrumors 6502a

I'm a Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 user. I love both phones, but I'm having issues with my Nexus 4. I would use my iPhone 5's sim which is a AT&T LTE SIM card in my Nexus 4. Right out of the box I had to change the APN settings to get the data and MMS working properly. Once I got text and data to work, I wasn't able to send or receive a text with a picture. It would just say sending. While I was going to make the exception, the bars would go grey. It show'd full bars but I couldn't get data. Calls only. Like the radio was disabled. I knew if I was to go to AT&T and let them know, they would most likely want to change my data or switch to a non-iPhone data plan. I'm very frustrated and want to use my Nexus 4, but I guess I'm having to go back to my iPhone 5 for now. I had the galaxy nexus and switched my sim from my iPhone 4S to the GNex all the time and had no problem. I don't know the deal. If anyone has the same issue, I would like you to chime in.

Last edited by Opstech; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Opstech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:18 AM   #39
tl01
macrumors 6502a

I think the iphone keyboard rocks!! There's no way it is the worst! The Note and the S3 have far more terrible keyboards. I had an S3 for about a week and it would take me 3 minutes for a one sentence text. The phone couldn't predict what I was saying and it never registered what I wanted it to registered. Based on solely that.. I couldn't continue with it. I love my iphone keyboard!!!
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:32 AM   #40
Number29
macrumors newbie

I'd definitely agree that the iPhone has by far the best keyboard. I've tried a whole range of different keyboards on my Nexus 4 and not one of them comes even close to the speed and accuracy you can achieve on the iPhone. The Nexus 4 will leave some really bizarre (and obvious) misspellings untouched instead of auto-correcting them. It's a very frustrating experience.
Number29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:47 AM   #41
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
I got hold of a Nexus 4 - first time I've had a proper go at android.

Immediately impressed with the size and feel of the device. Other pro's include:

a) much much better keyboard. It could be argued that iphone currently has the worst keyboard of any flagship phone. It need a big upgrade.

b) App switcher is great. Got used to it quickly

c) Like the widgets. Some are really useful, especially the twitter and email snapshop ones

d) Love being able to quickly install XBMC (can now do that with a JB iphone)

e) The android yahoo mail app allows multiple accounts. Wonder why the ios version does not?

Overall, I am still keeping my iphone 5. Syncs well with my pad and atv. Apps of a much higher quality and design. Better resale value. Feels safer in terms of security.

Next ios version just needs better widgets,toggles,keyboard.

Next hardware redesign should be widened slightly- even to 4.2 or 4.3" would make the world of difference
Install the 4.2.2 update that rolled out earlier today. It improves battery and touch sensitivity on the nexus 4 drastically. Tons of stability fixes as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post

Nexus. The cpu and gpu are much faster on the nexus and the resolution is 1280x768 vs 800x480. Big difference.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:37 AM   #42
BrandonZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
Took me 3 months to get my refund for the Nexus 7 from the Playstore. Never again.
I returned a nexus 4 and it also took me three months with numerous phone calls and emails that where never responded too. Horrible customer service on googles side.
BrandonZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 AM   #43
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular

Quote:
Obviously you don't use your phone as a hotspot. LTE is a major factor if you do.
ggmissmolly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:20 AM   #44
TroyBoy30
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
The Nexus 4 supports LTE band 4. It's not activated out of the box. It's up to Google and individual carriers whether to turn it on.

----------

Agreed. I bought the Nexus 4 knowing that HSPA+ -- especially DC on TMO -- will be plenty fast for my needs. If LTE is turned on, great. If not, HSPA+ DC is more than sufficient.
not anymore! lol

Update: As Brian Klug over at AnandTech notes, Google both giveth and taketh away -- that very, very unofficial LTE access disappears with the update. When 4G only worked in limited areas, and was never going to get official support, we won't cry too much.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:50 PM   #45
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

I had a Nexus 4. Really terrible phone. I prefer my Note much more. Samsung makes a better product than LG
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:26 PM   #46
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
Obviously you don't use your phone as a hotspot. LTE is a major factor if you do.
At $10+ per GB I hope you have an old grandfathered unlimited plan

LTE is fine and dandy but it's not even close to everywhere (even on Big Red) and the price premium is ridiculous in my book. Just my two cents.

The data keeps getting cheaper and cheaper but they keep charging us more and more. Great for shareholders but not so much for the working stiff.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:43 PM   #47
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

I have had every iPhone that has been produced. When it all started, it was simply a brilliant device. Sadly, it has evolved into a toy compared to the Nexus 4 or Note 2. My kids love their iPhones, but my personal opinion is that it is too weak to be used as a "power user" device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I had a Nexus 4. Really terrible phone. I prefer my Note much more. Samsung makes a better product than LG
I agree with the statement regarding Samsung. The Note 2 is simply the best phone available right now and nothing really comes close.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:45 PM   #48
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
not anymore! lol

Update: As Brian Klug over at AnandTech notes, Google both giveth and taketh away -- that very, very unofficial LTE access disappears with the update. When 4G only worked in limited areas, and was never going to get official support, we won't cry too much.
All that the update did was restrict unofficial access. It didn't -- because it can't -- change the transceiver.

I work in telecom. Adding LTE to a device is expensive. So Google and LG didn't put in there just for the heck of it. It's there so it can be activated at some point by a carrier or Google. It's future-proofing for them and us.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:47 PM   #49
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
I think the iphone keyboard rocks!! There's no way it is the worst! The Note and the S3 have far more terrible keyboards. I had an S3 for about a week and it would take me 3 minutes for a one sentence text. The phone couldn't predict what I was saying and it never registered what I wanted it to registered. Based on solely that.. I couldn't continue with it. I love my iphone keyboard!!!
Huh?

Have you used SwiftKey Flow or Swype keyboard? I know that everyone has an opinion, but it's pretty difficult for me to believe that somebody used the afore mentioned keyboards and thinks the iPhone keyboard is better. The options on an S3 or Note 2 (or really any high end Android device) are so numerous, it's almost impossible for Apple to have anything better on the iPhone simply because of the sheer number of developers creating for Android...it's truly stunning.
cardinalryan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:50 PM   #50
NewAnger
Banned

I've had my Nexus 4 for a full day now. I can't say how impressed I am with this phone. I think it's a very solid phone, well made and the OS has been running absolutely flawless.

I've also downloaded most of the apps that I had running on my iPhone and have only been disappointed in one of them.

When I look at my 4S now, I can't believe how small the screen is.

I did get my Nexus 4 for free, $49/$49 rebate with T-Mobile. Like phones purchased through Google, it is unlocked as well. I had my iPhone sim in my Nexus and it automatically configured itself to work with it after rebooting.
Only problem is, is that data is very slow in the day time just as it is on my 4S in the day time. Using my T-Mobile sim in the phone, I get average 20Mbps downloads.

Call quality is also excellent.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone