Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
Is this true? My friend told me this now I am quite concerned...I've been using it on the breakfast table and in bed. :(

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Relax. Your breakfast table probably has more bacteria that your iPad and toilet seat combined.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
don't try to live in a sterile world; you need some dirt and bacteria to keep your immune system active ... just wash from time to time your hands and you will be fine.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Is this true? My friend told me this now I am quite concerned...I've been using it on the breakfast table and in bed. :(

People make this argument all the time. However, I've always maintained that the amount doesn't really make a difference - it's the type of bacteria that you get. You know, one horrible parasite is much worse than 10,000 normal strains of bacteria you find everywhere, so it doesn't matter about the amount, more what type it is.

Although I'll admit, I'm not a doctor and have absolutely no knowledge of this kind of thing. It's just some crap to make myself feel better about this kind of thing, I guess. Although if it's grounded in fact in any way, that'd be cool too. :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Not too well known: Toilet seats get wiped down constantly and desinfected quite often. They usually have fewer bacteria than any other place in the house. The door handle in the toilet will be the killer.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Not too well known: Toilet seats get wiped down constantly and desinfected quite often. They usually have fewer bacteria than any other place in the house. The door handle in the toilet will be the killer.

What suburban bubble do you live in?

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

Don't worry.They've found cell phones to have more bacteria than most things.Plus think about door handles,railings and most of all money.
You have an immune system for a reason.Since you're not dead it's working.
You'll be just fine.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I use antibacterial Pledge Multi-Surface to clean my iPhone, iPad and MacBook so they are germ free. Does a good job cleaning the fingerprints too.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
I just use an anti bacterial washing up liquid in hot water and give them all a good scrubbing with a hard nail brush, just remember to use clean water to rinse them off in otherwise they tend to get a bit slippy.:D

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
OP, you are covered with more bacteria than your cell phone and all the toilets in your home combined. Relax.

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
I use antibacterial Pledge Multi-Surface to clean my iPhone, iPad and MacBook so they are germ free. Does a good job cleaning the fingerprints too.

Isn't antibacterial wipes/spray bad for the screen as it contains alcohol? I dont want my screen to rust. :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why would clean toilets in the house be "not too well known"?

The thread starter didn't know.

It's a common paradoxical thing: Things that you assume are dirty are not, because they are cleaned a lot. Things that you don't think of as dirty are, because they are not cleaned. Similar: People doing parachuting are very careful because it is dangerous. People climbing on stepleaders are not. Guess what is most likely to kill you.

S

syd430

Your friend was probably citing studies a few years back to find that this is usually the case (not just your iPad, but your kitchen too). I think the hysteria stems from a general misunderstanding of the term "germs". Don't worry, there are far more germs already inside your body than what you can ever fit on a 9.7" screen.

In any case, the inactivity and the bag cheetos that you eat while spending hours on end on your iPad will kill you far quicker than the iPad itself.

McCaffers

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I am not at all worried about this as I don't lick my iPad.......

haha I'm guessing you've seen that video of that news reporter who got tricked into licking her ipad? (If not enter 'lick ipad' into youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSuj-xLrONg)

To OP, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about bacteria. We (human beings) have been around for a long time and have survived much worse than a dirty ipad.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
To put things in perspective, there's a lot MORE bacteria and germs found on paper money. I've seen the food service industry become more aware of this issue but honestly I have bought delivery chain pizzas and I know for a fact the people making the pizzas probably don't give a crap whether they wash their hands after handling money or who knows if they wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I have never gotten ill, once. Now i'm not saying I don't seek out places that use rubber gloves when handling food but what i'm getting at is what others have said. Your built in immune system takes care of most of the bacteria and germs you put in your body. ;)

Now if I had an immune problem then I would be extremely cautious and probably handle and make my own food.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
There are millions of bacterial species, yet only 1500 of them are harmful to man. Besides, it's limited how long they can survive on a dry surface of glass or aluminum.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Is this true? My friend told me this now I am quite concerned...I've been using it on the breakfast table and in bed.
It's your hands... people's hands move bacteria around, and therefore anything your hands touch have bacteria. As stated above, most bacteria are harmless - and in fact you need a good healthy colony of 'helpful' bacteria for you to stay healthy. If you are worried about getting sick, wash your hands frequently. Any harmful bacteria on your hands are still harmless to your health - until you touch your face and they get into your eyes, nose, or mouth. So - wash your hands frequently to keep them away from your face. But, don't use anti-bacterial soap because that does more harm than good... (see my comments below...)

I just use an anti bacterial washing up liquid in hot water and give them all a good scrubbing with a hard nail brush, just remember to use clean water to rinse them off in otherwise they tend to get a bit slippy.:D

A bit of fun being had here.... :)

However, for the record, anti-bacterial soap is more harmful to your health - overall - than just plain soap. Studies have shown that washing with plain soap is equally effective in clearing bacteria off your hands (or devices). Any bacteria left behind by anti-bacterial soap, however, are now also becoming immune to common anti-bacterial agents. Meaning that anti-bacterial soaps are helping to breed super-bugs that won't be killed easily.

Plus the anti-bacterial soap that is washed down the drain is not neutralized by sewage plant treatments - so it is toughening up bacteria right out to the ocean. And at the same time it is harming fish and other animals. Plus.... they are now putting anti-bacterial agents in toothpaste, mouthwash, antiperspirants, etc.... etc etc all places where we want healthy colonies of bacteria that are good for us. Plus all of those products also get washed down the drain, creating hard to kill harmful bacteria.

Dirt is good! Embrace dirt!

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
It's a non-issue. The only place where iPads and phones pose any real health hazard (to others) is in healthcare and to some extent if you work in food preparation.

The rest of the thread is mostly nonsense. The fact that there are already bacteria in and on your body does not mean that what's on an iPad can't be dangerous (bacteria from one part of your own body can even theoretically kill you if they end up somewhere they don't belong). It's also not true that washing with plain soap is equally effective as hand disinfectant (in fact, most people do not know how to wash their hands.)

Does any of it matter? No. The risk of you contracting anything serious is slim to none assuming you're a normal healthy individual.

You should however clean your iPad/phone from time to time so it doesn't look disgusting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.