Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Do you still use your notebook?

For those with tablets. Do you still use your notebook or desktop computer when you are at home.

Cause personally I fail to see why you would need to use an ipad at home. Even on the couch or in bed. Plus a notebook is better at multitasking and generally apps are more powerful
surjavarman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Oh yes, but for work. iPad is for pure leisure, my MacBook deals with all my collage and soon to be university work.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:32 AM   #3
maflynn

Of course, while the iPad can edit spreadsheets, or connect to servers its not the best tool to do just that.

I use my laptop 85% of the time and then my iPad maybe 15%. Its great at what it does but it's not great at everything (what is).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:32 AM   #4
jdag
macrumors regular

I travel a lot for business, generally several flights a month. Last week I made my 1st ever trip with just my iPad, leaving the laptop home.

I really did not miss the laptop (much). Yes, there were a couple of times when it would have been useful at night in the hotel room, but not mandatory. I did pack an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and used it in the hotel room for email composing.

It should be said that the vast majority of my work is email based. So the email and web browser apps get me through most of the day. With Dropbox, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, and a few other apps, traveling with just the iPad was plenty sufficient.

The added advantage of passing through security without having to pull the laptop out is nice (I know it is minor, but it is in fact a convenience). And even though I have a small/light MBA + charger, saving that 3 pounds is nice on the shoulders. (Note that I would have taken the iPad even if I had taken the laptop.)

As for around the house, I use the iPad nearly exclusively over a laptop.
jdag is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Yep, I prefer doing things on my laptop like web browsing and document editing. I bought an iPad because its incredibly portable and its nice not to lug my laptop to work just so I can browse the web, check emails etc while I'm out.

I would have gotten an iMac, but when push comes to shove, I want to be able to take my mac with me should I need to.
thekeyring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I use both and have a quite clear division of labour between my Air and my iPad. If I travel just for a day or two, I might go iPad only, but otherwise both come with me.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

I use my MBP (which will be turning into a MBA since I got a good trade offer) about 75% of the total time I use an ipad and computer. I am a student if that matters at all.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Eric0531
macrumors newbie

I never use my laptop any more. If I need to use a computer at home I'll use my desktop, anything else it's the iPad. I do have a Logitech bluetooth keyboard/cover which makes it a bit more convenient to type stuff with the tablet on my lap.
Eric0531 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
SandboxGeneral

If I'm in the mood for reading or simple things, the iPad does the trick. For all my heavy lifting work or if I need a big screen, I use the iMac. I also just ordered a new MBP for use during those times I wish to be mobile or comfortable and need to do more complex tasks that are cumbersome on the iPad.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #10
HengenJL
macrumors 6502

desktop is used for gaming/torrents/video conversion/work related functions. though my usage is a solid 85% iPad / 15% desktop
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #11
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I use the iPad for e-mail, weather, some browsing, and especially for reading books via Kindle or OverDrive.

Use the MBP mostly for forums where I need multiple tabs and lots of typing plus for Quicken. I also have iTunes on the MBP and don't buy direct from the iPad or iPhone; just via iTunes on the Mac.
old-wiz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular

If I have to type, yes.

Otherwise I use the mini for most everything else. I hook the air to the tv often and using the mini is sufficient.

I use them both a lot when working, great combo
LightOnAHill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:53 AM   #13
kylera
macrumors 6502a

When I go to work, I carry both an Air and an iPad.

When I'm just out and about for social gatherings or errands, then it's iPad only.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:33 AM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Yes.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:38 AM   #15
DSPalpatine
macrumors member

I use both. The laptop is for Aperture/Photoshop, managing my iTunes library, and playing games (Starcraft, Command and Conquer, others- how you have accurate controls playing with a tablet, I have no idea). iPad is for almost everything else- email, web surfing, displaying photos (portfolio-to-go), etc, etc, etc.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Donia330i
macrumors regular

I use my iPad for everything; email, web, games, messaging. However I do not do a lot of typing on it. Was thinking of getting a wireless keyboard but I really like the touch screen keyboard and clicks it makes, I have a macbook I have to make myself use just to keep it updated. The only real time I use my mac is when working with Word.
Donia330i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:46 PM   #17
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
For those with tablets. Do you still use your notebook or desktop computer when you are at home.

Cause personally I fail to see why you would need to use an ipad at home. Even on the couch or in bed. Plus a notebook is better at multitasking and generally apps are more powerful
I use my desktop for running my financial software - and tax software, since it's that time of the year. Also use it to access my private email addy, as I don't want to receive that mail on my iPad.

My notebook's sole purpose is to do backup for my devices.

Fun things are reserved for my iPad, which I do use regularly at home and just about everywhere else. It's much more comfortable to use while on the couch - plus it weighs less than my notebook.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:03 PM   #18
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502

I've had an iPad since 2010 and in that time, with the availability of more apps and the reduction in sites that require flash, my use has increased to the point where (at home) I spend less than a few minutes a day on my PC. I've stopped bringing my MacBook Air home from work during the week since I can get in with Splashtop Remote if I really must and my Windows 7 PC at home sits upstairs so I never go up there. It is really just used to host my iTunes library these days. Of course, at work I use the MacBook most of the time but I still have my iPad on hand for meetings.

This is what scares Microsoft of course, and is why Windows 8 is such a nasty cut and shut job. They're desperate to be relevant but the difference is a tablet like the iPad is simple to use and acts like an appliance whereas even a Windows 8 tablet like the Surface Pro is still a Windows machine and still whines about updates all the time. I'm certainly past the days when I would happily go and sit at a desk to browse the internet, and even my laptop isn't a patch on using an iPad from the sofa.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:43 PM   #19
David58117
macrumors regular

I just bought a Macbook air 2012 11", and am trying to decide on purchasing an ipad mini as well. I owned the 3rd gen. before recently selling it..I really miss Alienblue, iannotate, Notion, and Good Notes.

A laptop in bed/on the couch just seems so...wrong, nowadays..
David58117 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:17 PM   #20
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
The don't get one. No device is one-size-fits-all.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad